BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Prepping wood chips

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prepping wood chips
 Login/Join

posted
I've been dry washing in a 5 gal bucket(pour in top, drain slowly out the bottom). Looking to set up a 55gal drum. This one will be a upflow setup.

Now to the question. I read RolfQuo method of preping the chips, and others do nothing, or let the chips soak in BD for a couple of days and then drain the BD. So since I don't have that quantity of methanol around, any body have any suggestions? Also,while methanol may strip resins it seems counter intuitive to use it to prep the chips when later it wears them out quicker. With the biodiesel soak, why would the resins come out of the wood initially, and then settle later? Since this setup is significantly bigger than the bucket, I'm looking some input. Also consider that I have about 12 gallons of methanol that I've recovered from various points that is about 86% pure(by hydrometer) that I could use for the methanol rinse.

I've had some goo settle out in my tanks before, and cause problems with plugged filters. Note this is before I went with dry washing.

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I soaked about 400 ml (volume) ground acorn nuts in acetone for more than a week. The volume of the ground acorn nuts swelled to about 750 ml or so. I've read that some of the cellulose based dry wash doubles in volume in the dry wash tower. So 50-55 gallons of sawdust or very small wood chips would probably swell in volume if soaked long enough in methanol. So how much of these small woodchips do you need to prepare to be used as an adsorbent to dry wash biodiesel? If the woodchips swell then wouldn't they pull all your volume of methanol into them, rather than washing the crud out of and off of the woodchips? After methanol is used to purify woodchips then I suppose it is distilled off to be reused, leaving the crud (resins) in the still pot. I'm trying to purify my ethyl biodiesel using magnesium silicate in my current batch amount of about 420 milliliters. After my first dry wash the ethyl biodiesel turns a water wash of distilled water pink. So pH is 8.3 or greater, rather than neutral, it still has soap or KOH in it. Thanks

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My filter set up is 55 gallon drum with up flow. I only screen out the very fine sanding dust. (we get our shavings from a very large wood shop, and all their dust goes into one hopper). Quite a few of the older posts here got me into trying the chips, and that is all we use. we just recirculate with a pump until the soaps are acceptable. Our soaps are about 200-400 out of the processor since we started doing acid/base. when we were doing base only, soaps were usually 1500-3000. It took a week or two of settling to get those high numbers to drop under 500, which is what I wait for before chip filtering. I have a two barrel set up in parallel. that filters 375 gallons per batch. the chips will last between 1500-3500 gallons before needing changed.

I would think it would take a good bit of methanol to make much of a difference. I can't speak for doing any prep on the chips, it might help if you have some pine in your chips, but we don't use any pine. our chips appear to be a mix of cherry, oak, and poplar. I did 10,000 gallons this year running the process part time, so something must be right. wood chips are cheap, if it seems like the numbers aren't dropping, we just drain the barrel, and dump the chips. All I can say about the drums is that they are pretty heavy with soaked chips in them. We have a duct lift on wheels in the lab just for the job of switching barrels. I would have to have another set up if we didn't have that lift! I barley have enough life left in my back to get the barrels emptied into a loader bucket, when we get them on the ground. some kind of lift system is a must have.

Barnhart, how much are you filtering? If you aren't doing 200 gallons or more at a time, I'd suggest going with a 20 gallon barrel with a low flow pump. otherwise you'll really notice the 3 or 4 gallons you lose to the chips during a change.

hope this helps.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently I'm just doing 40g/batch in a franken appleseed. Got he open topped barrel w/ lid for free. I was originally going to go w/ a 15-20 barrel that I got, but I couldn't figure out how to make it up flow, leak free, sealable and easily filled/emptied of shavings. Figure I won't have to change the chips for a lonnnng time, so I'm not too worried about the changover losses.

Hardwood chips/sawdust is hard to come by in my neck of the woods, as there are no hardwood trees used for lumber. The only people who work with hardwoods around here are cabinet maker types and they use alot of processed wood with glue in it. Have lots of redwoods though. Any sawdust/shavings/shredded bark would be green. So of the stuff I can get that is dry is pretty much a choice of kiln dried pine or cedar shavings at the feed store. Hence the caution with resins and the question about pretreatment.

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you use the redwood chips in your small set up? how did they work out? I've never even tried pine, so I got nothing there.

I'm sure the cabinet shop here glues stuff up, but I'd say the amount of glue that makes it into the dust collection is a pretty small fraction. The place we get ours has a huge silo and a 15 yard tamdem axle dump trailer. The guy is really cool we just go over and pick up his trailer, bring it across town, dump it and take it back empty.

my barrel set up has an outlet 2" pipe nipple welded into the side about 6" down from the top. the fuel comes into the barrel through a 1" nipple welded into the bottom. the inlet pipe converts to pvc inside. It has a bunch of 1/8" holes drilled in it to let the fuel come out over a larger area of chips. the top pipe on the inside of the barrel is also 2" pvc, but I cut big holes all over it, and wrapped it with window screen to keep the chips in the barrel. it works pretty well, and the 2" drain keeps the fuel from getting to the level of the lid. our initial set up only had a 1" outlet, and it would not deep up with the flow. the fuel would push up against the lid, and start leaking. now I don't even use the gasket. I should really buy a camera.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the small setup, I used the pine kiln dried animal bedding. I thought it was cedar until I read the bag after I had already run BD through it. I had prepped that by soaking it in methanol for for maybe a 1/2hour, draining it, and then running some more methanol through it a couple of times. The soaked stuff came out red wine dark. The pour through(if you will) came out more like a blush color.

My setup will be via inlet and outlet near the top as that's where the existing holes are.