BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Wood chip washer.

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood chip washer.
 Login/Join

posted
From what I have read is that the only way to go is a large 55gallon drum for the filter. Would say a 8" by 5 foot filter stack not work if there were say 3 in series not work. The 55 gallon idea looks good but I do not have that much room so I was looking fro something a little more compact. Any thoughts suggestions or criticism welcome. And yes this will be my first kick at this making biodiesel thing and was wanting to do it right the first time.

Location: CA | Registered: March 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check out h20 boys pool filter to woodchip washtank conversion its cheap, easy and works very well getting the sand out and cleaning them is a mission but well worth while and if you set em up right gravity will do all the work.his description is in the drywash forum.

Location: new zealand | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I just did some small number crunching and a 55 gallon drum holds approx 13000 cubic inches of chips and to get the same volume you would have to use 4 stacks. Like I stated the only reason I want to use this method is to save some space this way they can be lined up against a wall.

Location: CA | Registered: March 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i spent some time messing about with towers full of chips they worked fine but were a mission to load and unload with chips they needed constant supervision cause the pump neede to run the whole time and the i realyy worried about the fire hazard cause i coud move them easily out of the shop(fixed to wall) whereas i can move the poolfilter out side when its not in use plus i keep it full to reduce spontaneous combustion.

my filter has 50 litre capacity and the flow can be as fast as 10litres per min but i let it go thru at about 2litres per min and run it thru twice

Location: new zealand | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use 2- 8'' x 5' towers and they work great. Smaller will work, you just have to run your fuel thru
slower.

Location: Central WI | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a 55 gallon barrel set up, however, if you do some looking, you can find smaller barrels with removable lids. I've seen barrels as small as 10 gallons. our original set up used a blue pump that dumped bio on top of the 20 gallon barrel with sawdust in it. the bio ran out the bottom which was drilled out like swiss cheese. The filter barrel sits on top of an open top barrel containing the fuel you are filtering. the fuel can just circulate until the soaps are gone. It worked well, and simple was to build. our current set up is using the same pump set up, but with up flow. The barrel stays full of fuel, eliminating the sopntaneous combustion risk. Someday, I will get a new camera and post a few pics.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I built the dry wash towers with soda kegs per the design on the make-biodiesel.org website. So far, I've run one batch through it and it's working great. You might want to check it out. Pretty inexpensive, too.

Location: altadena, CA | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post