BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Good tanks for wood chip wash?

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good tanks for wood chip wash?
 Login/Join

posted
We came across 2 fiberglass water softener tanks with filter heads like in this photo. Concerns are how would we fill and empty them. They are 6' tall and take up the space of 1 drum so they seem ideal if we can figure out the loading and unloading. We will need a new downtube and filter for them, the filter head is not threaded so they would need to be glued in place. Would Sch 40 PVC be ok for this?

http://www.affordablewater.us/...-Tank-P1230C149.aspx

posted Hide Post
How does the media get out of those filters now? Emptying barrels is the biggest pain of the process. when the shavings are done, they are slimey in the bottom of the barrel, if it is very bad, I have to rinse them out and let them dry. I think if the opening is too small, you will have trouble. We use 55 gallon drums with clamp on lids that flow in the bottom, and drain out the side near the top. they are not ideal, but they work. If you can find a way to get the shavings out, go for it.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure, they are empty now. The opening is fairly good sized, at least 5" I would say. Of course putting them in will be an obstacle also since the 1" downtube needs to be attached to the filter head. I am thinking of constructing some sort of mesh filter on the bottom of the tube and it could sit on the bottom and put the sawdust in around it, then screw the filter head right down on the tube.

posted Hide Post
I am using 100lb propane tanks. I welded a 4" threaded fitting on the top and bottom for clean out and then legs like I did for my flash tank. Picture is here;

tank

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...1089311/m/8937072733

They are about 25-30 gallons. I figured I was going to have 3 in series. I had several fittings welded on and then sand blasted and powder coated. I paid $20 per tank and then about $40 for steel for the legs and another $100 to blast and powder and $40 for welding. So for about $600, I have a really nice set of dry wash tanks.

Location: Traverse City,MI | Registered: August 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by freesoul:
Not sure, they are empty now. The opening is fairly good sized, at least 5" I would say. Of course putting them in will be an obstacle also since the 1" downtube needs to be attached to the filter head. I am thinking of constructing some sort of mesh filter on the bottom of the tube and it could sit on the bottom and put the sawdust in around it, then screw the filter head right down on the tube.

The clack valves on these things are all the same size. I have one of those tanks that I was planning on using for exactly that purpose, but the RolfQuo donated a ready-to-go drum of chips, so it wasn't used, however I did make the filter end from a 3/4" T fitting and clamped down some stainless screen on both ends using hose clamps; essentially the same idea as with my resin tanks.

When you fill 'em be sure to rubber band a plastic bag over the opening of the tube so nothing goes down there, and then simply screw down the head over the tube's tip and it should be fine as a pressure fit. You may need to bevel the tip of the down pipe a bit so it won't be too tight and split the head when you force it down. You will have to measure the down pipe exactly to fit into the head as it is screwed down so there will be no space or looseness or the flow won't be as good or not at all if it all returns to the tank. A threaded end could help, and then wrapping it in a little pipe tape could help seal it.

I think you will find that a 1" pipe won't fit in the head's port; too big.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a closed top 25 gal barrel for an additional chip filter to augment the two PVC chip towers I have now. I cut a hole in the top and bolted and sealed (permatex) on a lid for access which worked great. I had it plumbed with the BD entering the top and exit out the top via a stand pipe (similar to Legal's resin tanks). However when I tried to pump BD through the barrel the pressure built up to the point that it deformed the top of the barrel and threatened to pop the lid. I reversed the flow and sucked the BD through the filter which worked fine till the pre-filter clogged and the drum collapsed in on itself. Time to start over. I’m using the 1” water pump with the majority of the stream diverted.

Legal, I reviewed your chip drum set up and have a few questions.

1.You have the BD enter the top and exit the bottom. Any issues with flow or pressure build up pumping the BD through the chip barrel then the resin towers? Any tricks here?
2.Do you leave BD in the chip filter between batches? I’ve read here a few posts about spontaneous combustion when chips were left dry in chip filters.
3.Considering investing in a different pump. How do you like the sureflow? How much are they.

I like the drum design since I can get those free but I like William’s large propane idea too; no issue with pressure there. Discarded gas (O2, CO2, etc)cylinders might work well too.

I started to send this private so as to hot hijack the discussion but I thought the info might be useful to the group so I posted here after all.

Thanks,

Dana Knight "dckfly"
Boulder, CO

Chevy Silverado Duramax
3 VW TDI (wife and friends)

Location: Boulder, CO | Registered: May 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

Legal, I reviewed your chip drum set up and have a few questions.

1.You have the BD enter the top and exit the bottom. Any issues with flow or pressure build up pumping the BD through the chip barrel then the resin towers? Any tricks here?
2.Do you leave BD in the chip filter between batches? I’ve read here a few posts about spontaneous combustion when chips were left dry in chip filters.
3.Considering investing in a different pump. How do you like the sureflow? How much are they.

I like the drum design since I can get those free but I like William’s large propane idea too; no issue with pressure there. Discarded gas (O2, CO2, etc)cylinders might work well too.

I started to send this private so as to hot hijack the discussion but I thought the info might be useful to the group so I posted here after all.

Thanks,

1- no issues. I use a ShurFlo pump with most of the flow returning to the main tank, so no pressure to speak of.

2- the chip drum is ALWAYS full and kept that way by using a ball valve to shut off the flow once I am done. This stops any backflow as well.

3- The ShurFlo pump, is, in my opinion, probably the best all around utility pump you can get. Northern Tool has them for about $100.00. This is the one I have and it can be rebuilt with components as well.
Just be sure to have them package it properly if you don't have a store near you. UPS, from their Supply Chain Management place, sent one to me without any packaging and it arrived broken beyond repair. A PITA to get replaced.

HTH

As an additional note; if you do use a water softening tank get the one that is tall and thin as opposed to wide bodied, it will give excellent residence time and be much simpler to clean out when the need arises.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1- no issues. I use a ShurFlo pump with most of the flow returning to the main tank, so no pressure to speak of.

So how do you avoid pressure and leakage from under the lid when pushing BD through the chip drum then up and through two resin tanks? It would seem that pressure from the pump however light pushing BD into the drum plus the resistance of the two resin tanks would be enough to cause potential leakage from under the lid of the chip tank. Did you enhance the seal on the chip drum lid? Differant clamp that comes standard with those?

Why is the sureflow better than the blue 1"

HTH?

Cheers,

Dana Knight "dckfly"
Boulder, CO

Chevy Silverado Duramax
3 VW TDI (wife and friends)

Location: Boulder, CO | Registered: May 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post