BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Cellulose fiber for dry washing

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cellulose fiber for dry washing
 Login/Join

posted
I've been reading about brewers using wood chips for dry washing bio,and wondered if you could use shredded newspaper . If it was summer time I'd give it a try but with the colder weather I've stopped making bio.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it would mat down, and plug up. we just got a new source for shavings, and it was about 50% super fine sanding dust. It plugged up in about 2 minutes, and started over flowing the barrel. Our set up is pretty high flow though, it's run with a blue pump.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing it would mat down, and plug up.

I thought the same thing with the newspaper idea. The woodchips would have some clearance for the bio to flow thru even after a couple of batches . I sure would be nice if I could cut down on the time it takes to wash my bio. Water washing seems to take alot of time ,plus I'm doing AE and two base reactions. I can't do any bio brewing right now ,but I can do some research to make things work better for next year. Every year I'm improving on the equipment and know how.

i

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cellulose insulation is quite cheap.

Toilet Paper and Paper Towels turn to mush when exposed to water... but retain much of their form when exposed to oils, and thus can be used for effective oil filter media. They have a very high affinity for water.

Perhaps cellulose insulation would be similar.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps cellulose insulation would be similar

I was thinking the same thing except the cellulose insulation is treated with a fire retardant,and I don't know how that would work with biodiesel. Something to check into.

posted Hide Post
I did some experiments with paper some time ago. It worked inasmuch as it removed the soap but it left impurities in the biodiesel due to additives in the paper making process. In any case paper was less effective than sawdust.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
In any case paper was less effective than sawdust.

Seems like everybody uses hardwood sawdust or chips from kiln dried lumber. Softwoods cause problems from what I'm reading leaving resins in the bio.

posted Hide Post
Anyone use straw for dry washing? I was feeding my chickens and daydreaming when I looked over at their straw bedding and the wheels began turning... It's cheap, and easily composted...

GulDam

Location: SFBay | Registered: October 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Straw has a glossy surface so I would suppose it doesnt absorb very well. Maybe worth a try if its mulched.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Jehu says if it was mulched or shredded it would increase the surface area so the bio would enter the hollow stems to remove the soaps. I'm not sure what takes place to make cellulose absorb the soaps from bio it would be worth a try at least on a small scale. Test the bio for soap levels before and after to see the results.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: heatbeater,

posted Hide Post
I've used shredded office paper from laser printers with no problem other than a slow flow rate after awhile. the flow rate gives residency so I am ok with that. No problems with resin as all extractibles are removed during the pulping process. No impurites appear to leach from the paper or the laser toner.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ant, could you tell us a little more about your shredded paper setup? Sounds interesting.

posted Hide Post
Hey folks! It's been a while since I posted and I have not been brewing as of late. But with fuel going through the roof now, it's time to restart the refinery!

My question is:
Has anyone, especially any of you mid-western corn farmers used finely ground corn cobs,stalks,wheat chaff, etc as a celulose based filter media?
Anyone?
Jeff
Tampa,Fl
7.3 Powerstroke addict

posted Hide Post
jhd the shredded paper is used in the third of three series 200lt drums. All are gravity drained. The first two contain black ash sawdust. the flow rate is capable of a steady 75lt a day which is more than i need so i am happy with the residency time. all are about half full of medium with a raised internal base that has a supported disk of fine stainless mesh in the centre. about 8 or 10 inches in dia. the first two drums are given a day or two of standing time as they drain quickly. the third drains slowly so has very little or no standing time other than the residency provided by the slow flow. i get very clean diesel

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, thanks.

posted Hide Post
Anybody ever try redwood sawdust/bark to filter with? What other disposal options are there besides burning that aren't the dump for the sawdust?

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
composting?

posted Hide Post
I thought of that, but had a thought that the spontaneous combustion risk might be a little too high, as a pile can reach 200F inside w/o too much help. Also, with the sodium content of the soap(If using NaOH), I was thinking it might be too much for the plants as they don't like much sodium. Plants need much more potasium than sodium.

Speaking of spontaneous combustion, since wood sawdust & metal shavings do this quite frequently, as these things go, when mixed(which is why woodshops & metal shops should not share space) would it not be more prudent to have the wash barrels be plastic as opposed to metal? Just a thought.

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
my steel barrels shed no shavings and would contain a fire better than plastic ones. Possibly protect against external ignition sources too. I have never heard of the combination of steel shavings and wood causing spontaneous combustion. How does this happen?

posted Hide Post
This thread started with "cellulose fiber for dry washing" Cotton is almost pure cellulose. So has anyone used mercerized cotton or plain clean cotton for dry washing? It might cost more but I think it is worth experimenting with, possibly for myself.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post