BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Sawdust or wood chips

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sawdust or wood chips
 Login/Join

posted
What works better, sawdust or wood chips. I have access to oak wood strips that I can run through a chipper. A little bit of work but its free.

posted Hide Post
Personally I have hard wood chips, but you might want to look up the archived posts on the subject as wood chips vs sawdust is covered there. You can also read the interview I did with RolfQuo for a now defunct Biodiesel magazine, which is also posted on my website (link in my sig line) as I got my wood chip drum from them.

Properly prepared they both work well, however demething and settling the biodiesel before filtering is recommended as the suspended soaps in solution will drop out and that will in itself extend the life of the dry media and/or resin you use after it.

To get a better understanding of the principles behind this take a look at Graham Laming's website where he only demeths the biodiesel and then settles it over a few weeks. The result is crystal clear biodiesel that passes spec.

The point of using chips and/or resin is to speed up the availability of the fuel, as this gets the residual soaps that have not yet dropped out of solution so it doesn't end up in the fuel system of your vehicle. Time will do the job as well, as Graham has proven, so it really depends on whether you have the time to wait around for the soaps to settle out on their own or if you want to speed up the process via dry media filtering.

Irregardless of what you do, demething the biodiesel first is a must,IMO, if for nothing else than to elongate the life of your media. My system uses both chips and resin followed by a 2 micron CAT fuel filter for final polish (see link in sig line), and the demething tank is equipped with a standpipe the same way a water wash tank is ( it actually used to be a water wash tank) so I can demeth and settle then draw from the SP through the chips and resin. All tests I have had done, including CG testing, shows that my fuel passes ASTM for quality.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding of the PD206 is that if your glycerin level is greater than 1/10th of one percent coming from your processor, then you do not demeth. Reading all the literature on Purolites website, I thought I read that the resin requires the use of the methanol left in the crude bio to strip the trace glycerin from the crude bio. I am having a soap issue with my end product after the lead/lag tanks of PD206. 600 ppm of soap after running thru PD206, I then water washed (static) three times and bubble washed once. (This was my first time having to water wash in the two years that I have been making bio as I have always drywashed). After the water/bubble wash, my bio was now down to 64ppm. I ran it back thru the PD206 and after the lead tank the soap was 1440ppm, after the lag tank it dropped to 480ppm. I am thinking that I need to replace the PD206 and I want to build a wood chip filter. Would it be to my best interest to change my set up to water wash first, then dry, then wood chips, then PD206? BTW, I have backflushed the lead column 5 or 6 times over the course of 2 years running approx. 5,000 gallons thru them.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like your resin is done for. Once demethed and settled I send the fuel through the wood chips and then lead/lag PD206 and the result is ZERO ppm soap. Rolfquo's results mirror this, or rather I mirror their results.

You do not need to water wash at all. Once you have processed the biodiesel and settled out the glycerine layer then the biodiesel is demethed and allowed to settle once again, after which the dry filtration method is done.

I might add that my system has a standpipe tank for both the initial settling of the glycerine and also for the demething tank, which means that once processed the glycerine drops out and stays below the standpipe when I transfer the biodiesel to the demething tank, and once it has been demethed and settled I use the standpipe outlet to send it through the dry media. This leaves most of the residuals behind.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post