BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Biodiesel turned cloudy orange - HELP!

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel turned cloudy orange - HELP!
 Login/Join

posted
This is my first batch using oak wood shavings as dry wash and it turned my good bio into orange juice. Heres what i did:

I loaded 15ibs of oak shavings packed into a 30gal poly drum, put 5gal of methenol to soak out any resins, then drained half out, then added 20gal of bio not demethed.

It came out clear with methenol specks visable, then I added heat to demeth.
Then over night all my bio turned very cloudy- an orange jucie like consistncey.

Will be purchasing Arborpure and drywash resin beads.

Any ideas on what the reaction was, also how do I recover the spent biodiesel??

Thanks all for the help.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "clear with methanol specks visible?"

Did you dry the shavings before soaking them with methanol?

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looked like mini,clear spheres suspended in the biodiesel, which at the time, itself was of a very good clear quailty.

Did not dry the shavings, this wood came in furniture grade planks, and I know personally that the were siting for at least a year in a dry garage.

posted Hide Post
Run it through the shavings again now you have demethed it-probably residual soap making it cloudy-make sure it is demethed first and settled before running through shavings in future

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The most efficient way to prepare wood chips is to first at least one volume of the container of methanol through it,preferably two. Then run the same volume of ready-to-go biodiesel through it.

The methanol will strip the resins from the wood, it can then be reused in follow up reactions.
The biodiesel will strip the methanol out of the chips, and then the biodiesel can be re-batched or simply demethed to get it back to usable form.

Once the chips are properly prepared they will last a very long time before needing to be replaced.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The 'mini,clear spheres suspended in the biodiesel' is not methanol. Methanol mixes with biodiesel.

Water will act that way and turn good bio to orange juice.

I don't know if resins in the sawdust can cause it, but it's definately not methanol.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok got home @noon and to my surprise the wood chip filtered bio was no longer oj like color but- pretty normal looking like it was just unwashed.

Soap values: unwashed 1408ppm ; one pass 448ppm

Did the hot pan test(thanks graden), dble boiler style- and there was definatley water boiling out. then when cooled the samples are a very clear color.

So just got done bubbling and heat that intial 20 gal, will let settle overnight or more.

Any comments, suggestions, concerens?? Thanks a bunch again for the replies.

posted Hide Post
When I researched and made biodiesel from acorns (from oak trees), I found out that Tannins are in acorns, from reading about them. My acorn oil was brown then, red then, orange as I purified it. Finally after I made the methyl biodiesel it was orange. I expected it to be yellow colored, due to double bonds in the fatty acids. I dry washed my orange biodiesel (from acorn oil) with magnesium silicate. After the magnesium silicate dry wash my biodiesel was transparent yellow colored. I'm thinking oak wood has tannins or tannic acid in it. I expect dry washing with oak shavings puts the big bad tannic acid into your biodiesel, as evidenced by an "orange" color. I'm not sure about that though. Tannic acid is not a good fuel additive. It probably won't vaporize and burn properly in the combustion chamber of a diesel engine.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post