BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Sterols and dry wash

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sterols and dry wash
 Login/Join

posted
Are there any dry-washers who are thinking about sterols at all?

Biodiesel magazine has an interesting article [URL= http://www.biodieselmagazine.c...lugging/]here.[/URL]

Sterols appear to be very small solid particles. The primary problem seems to be filter plugging. This article indicates that water washing doesn't clean them up very well either. One technique pointed out was using diatomaceous earth to filter them out.

I can't help wonder about the DE that gets through the filter. They just can't be good for injector nozzles, and with the fine ones at .1 micron they'd get through just about any filter in a normal fuel system

Does anyone know if they can be filtered out of the oil before processing?

Location: Maine, USA | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just stumbled onto this post. I've been doing some light reading on it, but that is about it. I don't know what we are doing right, but our filter plug point is 16F at b100. a couple of factors may be helping that based on what the article said, our finish tanks, are outside. they are 500 gallon tanks, and we leave about 50 gallons in the tank for settling even though our fuel is filtered to 5 microns after wood chip washing, there is a pudding that accumulates on the bottoms of the tanks in winter. it goes away in the summer, but that stuff will plug up a filter even in the summer, despite having already run through 5 micron filter. I have wondered how cold wood chip filtering would work to get that component out of the finished fuel. our processing room stays too hot (average 95F) to test this, but I'd love to set up something to test it. too many irons in the fire for now though.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add, that we went to wood chips after intially using magnesol. I did some reading at the time and decided that using something like magnesol was not how I wanted to make fuel. I doubt DE would be any better for injectors. (I'm picturing a water-jet type cutter here.)

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post