BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Soap Titration - Match check

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soap Titration - Match check
 Login/Join

posted
Just to check my math... if .87kg = 1 liter of biodiesl.

Then 100g = 115ml of biodiesel. Correct?

posted Hide Post
I was given a much easier version by GCG, get a quart mason jar, add 100ml of 99% ISO, then add eight or nine drops of whatchacallit blue solution, mix thoroughly, then add 10ml of the bio to be checked, then take at least 5ml of your .01N hcl solution and put 5ml in a syringe. take the syringe and add a drop at a time until you get a good bright yellow color change, take the number of ml used and multiply buy 304, this will give you your PPM.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sweet. Thanks fabricator.

posted Hide Post
I forgot to add, when you add the bio to the ISO indicator mix if the mix stays blue or gets even bluer that will tell you you have a fair amount of soap right off, but if the mixture turns lighter blue to almost a greenish blue you will have a small amount of soap, I have found this to be the case when under 500ppm.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here's a video of GCG doing the soap test fabricator was talking about....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ7ZCyWUTyw&fmt=18

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Fabricator,
I have tried your method for soap content. But I have run into something different. When I put the bio in the 99% iso, it turns yellow immediately. Next I try to ad the blue but no amount will turn it blue..The closest it gets is a greenish yellow. What am I doing wrong or is the bio THAT clean? This is before I even start to ad the .01 acid solution.
TIA,
Jeff

posted Hide Post
Is this after you have run through chips or something? usually that means you have little or no measurable soap.

posted Hide Post
It is after running through a dry wash media. Does straight to yellow and doesn't want to go blue when blue is added.

posted Hide Post
Could there be a PH imbalance?

posted Hide Post
I doubt it, if this is after dry washing, you don't have any measurable soap.

posted Hide Post
We did a ph test using a swimming pool kit and it was low across the board. It read approx 6.2 ph and zero alkalidinity. Do you think we have good fuel? If so I have found a good dry wash media.

posted Hide Post
I never test finished fuel for ph just soap, what media are you using?

posted Hide Post
It is some sort of saw dust looking stuff that is suposed to be made out of corn cobs, stalks,chaff etc. It was an experiment that seems to work pretty well.