BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Improving Biodiesel color
Page 1 2 

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving Biodiesel color
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi Chaymiranda,

quote:
Originally posted by Chaymiranda:
Thanks Till,your experience will help me, so you have been using this method successfully for a long time? As I wrote I’ve made biodiesel using 1 gr of KOH or NaOH in a litter of water to make my solution but I’d like to know how others make it.
I think you will find that most people who titrates use the 1g KOH/NaOH mixed into 1 litre water method or a variation there-of.
The second procedure you have described is just a variation that some people might find helpful if they do not have particurlarly accurate measuring equipment

Q. Why do people titrate?
A. To find out how much KOH/NaOH is required to to neutralize the acid in their oil.

This method gives you the quickest, most accurate answer to that question because you are making your titrating fluid from the caustic you will use in the reaction so that any lack of purity in the KOH/NaOH is automatically accounted for. Typically KOH is around 90% purity and NaOH typically has a purity over 99%

If you use "professionally standardized solution" as wesley does to perform the titration, after performing the titration you will then need to perform further calculations to adjust for the difference in purity of the NaOH used in the titration and the purity of the KOH used in the reaction.
You will then need to make further calculations to adjust for the fact that while you titrated with NaOH, you are performing the reaction with KOH.

quote:
Before titration, measure out 5 ml of the stock solution, add 45 ml of distilled water and mix. This makes a 0.1% w/v lye solution, accurate to three decimal places.
Where did you read this procedure? Please provide a link.
Do you need accuracy to three decimal places?
Your accuracy will only be as good as the accuracy of the equipment you measure with.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post