BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Dry wash with wood chips
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry wash with wood chips
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hello Eurocab. When you say demeth and settle how long are you settling before you run it through the wood. I intend to settle for 8 hours and run off the glycerin. Then bubble it for a day. Will that run off enough time to be effective before running it through the wood.

Location: Texas | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wal,

After demething I allow the BD to settle for a couple of weeks.

This is similar to what Graham Laiming suggests in the GL-1 process only he didn't use wood chips in his process. He just allows the demethed BD to settle and draws off the top for his fuel. He has since gone on to the push pull process.

Jehu has done some experiments with going straight to the wood chips after demething and I think before demething. The links I posted earlier (I think there were 4 links in one message) are a great resource.

What you plan to do will probably work. You will use a lot more shavings though.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you eurocab. I have a good source with an arse load of shavings. My only problem, which I believe I have overcome, is the shavings are mixed with saw dust. I had to redesign my chip tank but that seems easy enough. I believe I am going to cut the out edge of a 55 gallon drum lid, prop it up on the fence and shoot it with my 3.5 mag shotgun with #4 pellets until I punch enough holes into it to make it look like a spaghetti drainer. I am going to weld it in the barrel at the 20 gallon mark. then insert and old bed sheet with the tag ends gouing up and out of the barrel. By tightening the lid down it should hold up the sheet filled with chips. that should filter the particulate well enough. If not I will have to find another wood source but for now that should get me to where I see if it is going to work or not. If the sheet does work I can pick up sheets at garage sales for next to nothing. I am headed to harbor freight during lunch to get another little blue pump. Yes Tilly a blue HF pump. I can use it to stir the BD from the nottom back over the top of the chips and to transfer to the wash tank.

posted Hide Post
I got an idea about mixing the wood chips with the soapy BD, I don't have any wood chips with me, but i am hoping anyone could try it and let us know.

Fill 1kg wood chips into filter bags so that the wood chips can't get out of the bags (make sure the bags has alot rooms). Make a few of these wood chips bags, and drop them to the soapy BD. Mix for a few mins, and leave them there for an hour or two. Pull the wood chips bags out of the tank, hopefully the BD looks clear.

Will that work?, I mean the soap is very thin, it should be able to get inside the bags and bond to the wood chips.

if this works, everything will be alot more easier!
- Won't need to clean up the tank with wood chips inside
- keep using those wood chip bags until it is unusable
- Replace the wood chips bags with new ones after a while
- probably won't need filter anymore

can anyone please try it out?

posted Hide Post
Just circulate the bd through a sawdust filled filter bag, hung over an open top tank. Easy way to guarantee the bio saturates the sawdust and removes soap, etc. Anyway, using a small pump, it's essentially the same idea, and works great. You should still run it through a final absolute rated filter.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like it would work to me. Give it a whirl and report back.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It will be sunday or Monday before I can give a report. I am getting all the parts together. The bed sheet I was talking about will be the filter to stop the woodchips and saw dust from getting to the pump. I built a expanded matal shelf inside the barrel at about the 25 gallon area. I will pushe the sheet down into the barrel and then fill the sheet with the wood chips. the lid will then go on top and the fuel will come into the tank through the center of the lid spraying into the layer of woodchips. So it will suck the BD from the bottom and spray it right back over the woodchips. When those woodchips are expired I can just open it and gather up the sheet to haul off to burn the chips. They would probably make some pretty good (I don't want anything to grow here) type of mulch.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdoughy:
Just circulate the bd through a sawdust filled filter bag, hung over an open top tank. Easy way to guarantee the bio saturates the sawdust and removes soap, etc. Anyway, using a small pump, it's essentially the same idea, and works great. You should still run it through a final absolute rated filter.

My final filtering will come much later. From this wood chip barrel it will go to a wash tank instead of using a resin bed. From the wash tank it will go to a dryer where I heat, circulate and spray the BD. I use filter bags under the spray until the BD gets to temp. Then I pump through a filter to holding and then gravity feed through a 2 micron filter to the vehicles.

posted Hide Post
I am bored to tears at work so here is a better sketch.

posted Hide Post
wal,

The more I see, the more I like your idea. Razz

quote:
They would probably make some pretty good (I don't want anything to grow here) type of mulch.

I use the spent wood shavings as fire logs. I pickup bags of leaves in the fall for mulch in my garden and use the bags to soak up any spills on my shop floor. I then put the spent shavings on top of the bag, roll it up and I have a nice firelog. They burn for at least 2 hours. I placed one near the house on the grass and the next day it was a big yellow spot. So nothing will grow there for awhile. Mad

posted Hide Post
Wal, why don't you pack the wood chips in bags (with nets)...easier to remove and change.

I am not experienced with wood chips, but if the wood chips are dry ..it may start the fire it self. You probably need a bigger pump to make sure there are alot of BD pumping.

Becareful.

posted Hide Post
I will be using the sheet only because the wood I have access to has saw dust in it. I know this stuff should float but I would rather the sheet keep it on top. The HF pump was only $29 and it will only be used for stirring really. I figured I could turn it on for a while and then off for a while. What I was really attempting was to get a large volume of chips in the barrel to cut down on the need for changing the chips so often. If this works then I will be adding a second barrel on top of the first so I can do all 80 gallons at once from the settle tower. While it is circulating through the wood then I will make two more 40 gallon batches and send them to the settle tower laying in wait to be sent to the woodchip tower.

A fire is a great concern of mine. Any of you fellas have a thought in mind to combat the fire possiblilities? I am thinking with the barrel sealed off it should contain any fires from starting. With the lack of O2 because of the sealed barrel I think I will be alright. BUT I don't want to think I am alright only to discover I thought wrong. Most of the methanol will be pushed off by the time it hits the wood tower. I suspect the BD could start a chemical fire if allowed O2. Lets flesh it out and see what we can come up with.

posted Hide Post
Wal,

I think that there may still be enough O2 in a large drum to support combustion. Only way to know is to measure o2.

As for using wood chips or Eco2Pure, I would think that a packed tower would
provide for the most protection and less likely to have enough oxygen for combustion. Even if there was enough O2 to start combustion, I think it would be used up quickly and not sustain comustion.

For those that use socks/sheets or in open barrels with wood chips, you may want to consider a oily rag metal safety can to keep the material in until you are ready to use it again.

I think this can be a real concern after seeing a BD soaked rag almost catch fire. I threw it in the yard while messing around in the shop with a batch I was making because I had heard of self-combustion. Within a 1/2 hour I saw it smoking. Went to pick it up and burnt my fingers. I'm going to do it again timing and filming it this summer.

Sorry for the rambling...

Location: Somewhere in the swamp... | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for $hit and giggles, I think I will take one of my firelogs and place it outside in the sun (after all this rain leaves) to see how long it takes to combust. Maybe a small one. They burn for such a long time and I wouldn't want to leave the fire unattended.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irokcj5:
Wal,

I think that there may still be enough O2 in a large drum to support combustion. Only way to know is to measure o2.

As for using wood chips or Eco2Pure, I would think that a packed tower would
provide for the most protection and less likely to have enough oxygen for combustion. Even if there was enough O2 to start combustion, I think it would be used up quickly and not sustain comustion.

For those that use socks/sheets or in open barrels with wood chips, you may want to consider a oily rag metal safety can to keep the material in until you are ready to use it again.

I think this can be a real concern after seeing a BD soaked rag almost catch fire. I threw it in the yard while messing around in the shop with a batch I was making because I had heard of self-combustion. Within a 1/2 hour I saw it smoking. Went to pick it up and burnt my fingers. I'm going to do it again timing and filming it this summer.

Sorry for the rambling...

I have been down in my back all weekend, sorry for a late reply. I might be wrong but I am not worried about combustion starting I am worried about it ending. Meaning I would be willing to try it if I thought the barrel would contain it.

My second thought is when I fill it, the fill line will be to the top of the woodchips. The pump will be used to circulate. I figured I could cut out the combustion by keeping it full of BD soaking in the chips. When that bd gets pumped to the wash tanks then I can simply fill it again with the bd from the settle tower. What are you thoghts?

posted Hide Post
I think that if the chips are covered there shouldn't be a problem.

I set my firelog outside this morning in a spot where if it catches on fire, I can watch it burn. It's in an area of my garden that has been tilled, but not planted yet. Nothing to burn out there.

posted Hide Post
Wal,

If you have fluid in the chips all the time, then no, spontaneous combustion will not occur because the fluid will act as a coolant, and temperatures cannot reach self ignition temperatures.

I think the issue would be for people who squeeze every bit of BD from their would chips, leaving them just damp enough to form hard packed chips/sawdust, in a container like a sock filter, or empty open top drum or bucket.

IROKCJ5

Location: Somewhere in the swamp... | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very kewl indeed. Dern back went down so I didn't have a chance to get at it. Then to top is off the county fair called and said all of the barrels are full of oil. They said to bring more barrels because I would not be able to drive to the barrels because of the people at the fair. I load up more barrels and hand cart them into the fair only to find the barrels weren't full of oil. The strainers in the tips were full of chili, blocking oil from getting in. CHILI Frown I will get fired up next week and see if the woodchipper does what I am hoping.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Sorry if this is off topic.

Has anyone tried the wood chips before the bio was settled? It would be interesting to see if the wood chips would soak up glycerin.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:
Sorry if this is off topic.

Has anyone tried the wood chips before the bio was settled? It would be interesting to see if the wood chips would soak up glycerin.

I did a test with sawdust and the glycerol was completely absorbed. You couldnt even feel the glycerol in the sawdust if you rubbed it with your fingers. I dont know if shavings or chips would be as effect tho.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post