BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    New to Drywash.. Ideas abound

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Drywash.. Ideas abound
 Login/Join

posted
I'm getting ready to set up a drywash.

I make about 1200 or so gallons a year. Doing it in Maine so it's only over a few months a year. Factory is set up in a 45' box trailer with power and water.

I spoke to Graydon and he was pretty helpful. Talked me out of spending a lot of money.

I think I'm sold on woodchips, and using a 55 gallon drum.

I think I like the idea of flowing up, rather than down. I could weld a pipe into the bottom few inches of side of the drum for inflow. drill a dozen holes in it so that the fuel is coming out across the width.

I plan to make a screen like the "fuelfarmer" to hold up the chips just slightly off the bottom. Stuff er near full.. and maybe another screen on top to keep the chips tamped down. Side pipe near the top (drum has a removable head, but wasn't going to use bungs) have a spin on, or a goldenrod or similar filter.

Question.. I bought a 1" pump from harbfreight to use. I've been told about bypassing most flow and just having a small amount going to chips. What about just looping the output of chip tank back to feed tank and letting it go "round and round"

Seems kind of wasteful to run a 1/2HP pump and just return most to tank. If I run 10gal an hour to the chip tank it's a lot of power for slow flow. A small variable pump is big money.. but slow flow and low power seems like a better idea. Thoughts?

thanks in advance.

JP

Location: Central Maine | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have gone to an up flow system based on lack of clearance where I process and it works just fine.I use a gravity flow only without a pump.On the bottom on goes in to an inlet with a drilled piece of pipe wrapped in screen wire inside and comes out the top the same.The inlet valve controls the amount of flow with another one on the outlet if needed.

2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
We are on the same track... up flow, slowly trickle it up through the wood. As for pumps, why not use a Shurflo? They are made for low flow and pretty much constant duty. Better than the 1" centrifugal pumps from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools. I suggest bypassing some, but at 1 gallon per minute, you wouldn't be bypassing nearly as much as that big 1" pump.

I would also leave some headspace above the chips. I'm thinking they may expand when saturated with bio. Fill with chips to maybe 2/3 capacity of the drum.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hadn't had much luck in the past with those type pumps.. with the rubber flapper wheel going around.

I was looking to splurge and get the variable pump. I know it's big bucks.. but it looks to be just what the Dr. ordered where I could dial the flow down and not bother with the bypass. I plan to feed to chip tank from a 275 gal settling tank.. returning flow to the tank would only stir up the stuff that I will settle for a few weeks. (I have other settling tanks that I'll do 24 hours or so to get the brunt of the glyc out.

JP

Location: Central Maine | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts. If you can't use gravity I would look for a small air powered diaphragm pump. It would be easy to adjust the speed/flow of the pump.

I like down flow drums with a fitting welded on the bottom for wood chips. It is easy to drain all of the fuel out when it is time to change the chips, and the fuel is clean.

When filling drums with shaving I pack them down with my hands and fill the drum full. Then a sheet of screen or fine expanded metal is folded in half and placed on top of the shavings under the lid. This is to give the fuel a place to spread out.

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Todd T Quoted
As for pumps, why not use a Shurflo? They are made for low flow and pretty much constant duty. Better than the 1" centrifugal pumps from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools. I suggest bypassing some, but at 1 gallon per minute, you wouldn't be bypassing nearly as much as that big 1" pump.

On my Drywash setup ( Fuel Farmer Inspired )
I'm using the ShurFlo 166-200-57 Grainger # 4UN15 . I did'nt have good luck with the 4UN12 ( Viton Option ) Thanks to Legal Eagle I switched to Santoprene and haven't had a failure since.
Cool

Good Luck !!

http://www.grainger.com/Graing...4Un15&N=0&sst=subset

Diaphragm Pump, Air-driven Injection, Inlet/Outlet 3/8 HB In., Body Material Polypropylene, Diaphragm Material Santoprene (R), Check Valve Santoprene (R), Max. Temp. 120 F, Length 5.8 In., Width 3.8 In., Height 7.0 In., 0.6 GPM Max., Max. Pressure 60 PSI, Self-Priming 25 In HgGrainger Item # 4UN15
Price (ea.) $128.55
Brand SHURFLO
Mfr. Model # 166-200-57
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 1.53
Usually Ships** Today
Catalog Page No. 3906
Country of Origin
(Country of Origin is subject to change.) Mexico
Enlarge Image

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use a northern tool 1" pump that feeds two up flow 55 gallon barrels. the fuel runs out the side of the barrel near the top through a 2" pipe. I just recirculate the fuel until the soaps are where I want them. when the shavings are spent, I just let the fuel in the barrels drain back into the holding tanks, then change shavings and start again. The pump runs on a timer, so it is pretty much "set it and forget it". I had trouble with the chips getting pushed up by the flow, so I put a piece of expanded metal under the upper pipe. I then screwed two short 2x8's to the underside of the lid to keep the metal from getting pushed up. since going to this set up, I've never had any barrels overflow, which was occasionally a problem when we were gravity flowing. I don't know what to think of the sure flow pumps, I have one that is pumping water just fine, but one I had rigged up to pump wvo into my babbington burner, crapped out in a month. (these are viton pumps).

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post