BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    dry wash towers

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dry wash towers
 Login/Join

posted
Ok I have read that you shouldn't use pvc as a dry wash tower and then I have read that they work fine.

well which is it?

This is what I want to buy
10' section of 6" pvc (1)
6" cleanout adapter (6)
6" cleanout plug (6)

Cut the 10' pipe into thirds and then I'd have 3 towers. Glue adapters on tops and bottoms and drill holes into the plugs that would fit a 90* elbow to attach the tubing that would transfer BD to the next tower. Maybe put a sock or some kind of cloth over the ends to screen the wood chips.

Can this be done?

I hope that is easy to follow, Im watching the packers game while typing.

posted Hide Post
I guess no one has any input...

posted Hide Post
I would get a rasp or file or hack saw and grind up your PVC material, put the powder into a beaker with biodiesel and heat it up. That might show the effect of biodiesel on PVC. The Kimble Chase 2008-2009 catalogue on page 544, properties of plastics and elastomers says methanol has a minor effect on PVC but caustic soda (NaOH) has a severe effect on PVC and its not recommended for use with sodium hydroxide. Biodiesel is not in the list of chemicals where their effect on PVC is evaluated.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have pvc plugs in the top ports of my tank system and they have to be replaced twice per year because the threads deteriorate and the plugs get numerous cracks. IMO pvc is not a viable product to use in biodiesel production.
correction, I just checked the plugs I use, they are abs not pvc. The clear tube on the pressure side of the pump is pvc there has never been a problem with this product.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biotom,

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for clearing everything up. Just wanted to make sure before I tried it anyway.