BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Filtering with wood chips
Page 1 2 

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filtering with wood chips
 Login/Join

posted
I thought it would be a good idea to have one thread to cover this topic. I am doing tests with oak and walnut chips/shavings. I just built a tower from 2" pvc that is 24", my flow rate is 500ml/min. I am going to post some pictures at one hour increments. If anyone else is trying this please share your test results.

1985 300CD

Location: Pa | Registered: June 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is after one hour of filtering. The sample on the ledt is raw biodiesel, the right is after the first hour. This is using the oak chips.

1985 300CD

ImageTest2.JPG (45 Kb, 57 downloads) Test2

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
500ml per min for 1 hour is 30 liters that went through the tower. How much are you filtering? Are you putting clean back in the dirty tank or moving from dirty tank to clean tank?

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The right is now at two hours.

I am filtering 15 liters. I am putting the clean bd back into the dirty.

1985 300CD

posted Hide Post
I quit responding to the idea of using wood chips as a filter for biodiesel. My results were that wood chips are a great medium for filtering BD. I continue to do it.

It is not profitable for anyone to promote this idea, so it has kind of fallen off the radar screen. Anyone else still doing it?

I appreciate your effort and by all means keep posting your results.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last pic for the night. The left one is from 1 hour, center at 2 hours and the right is at 3 hours. I don't see much improvement from 2 to 3 hours. I will do a shake um test and post the results tomorrow.

1985 300CD

posted Hide Post
There is a cellulose thread started by Jehu as well as the ecopure thread. They have lapsed a bit which is a pity as this seems a very promising method. What kind of oak did you use?

It would be intersting to compare different types of oak against red oak which has a very open grain structure compared to other oaks and was the origional oak used for this application.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow my serious posting about cat litter was modded away, but this wood based product deserves a 2nd look. Cat's Best OkoPlus

Location: Netherlands | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not disappeared, moved to a subsection.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somehow my serious posting about cat litter was modded away, but this wood based product deserves a 2nd look. Cat's Best OkoPlus

No indication if it is soft or hardwood. Softwood don't work.

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
quote:

No indication if it is soft or hardwood. Softwood don't work.

OH, Ant,
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the soft woods. The Fir shavings I've been using work quite well.

-Dave-

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are you try to remove water or soap or both?

I've not tried filter with wood chips but I make them in quantity.

does one type work better than another?
soft woods? pine, fir, western red cedar, aromatic cedar?
hard woods. oak(red or white), maple(soft or hard), walnut, exotic(IPE, TEAK, mahogany)

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
dkenny,

I have used red oak with great results, maple with good results and lyptus with good results. I think the sweet spot is red oak.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Fir shavings I've been using work quite well.

Really? What did you do and what happened? Did you not have a problem with saps and contaminates leaching out into the bio?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have used red oak with great results, maple with good results and lyptus with good results. I think the sweet spot is red oak.

Did you try other oaks?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
[QUOTE]
Really? What did you do and what happened? Did you not have a problem with saps and contaminates leaching out into the bio?

My tests using Fir are documented in the ecopure thread. I didn't do any tests checking for saps or other contaminates, just water and soap. I haven't seen any funky emulsion layers, settled deposits, or anything else "visibly".

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you try other oaks?

No, I have a cabinet shop and I use only the shavings of wood that I am currently using in projects. I have some ash (very similar to white oak) lumber at my house from which I could make some shavings, but I really don't want to waste energy just to do tests.

I recently did a large job with clear yellow pine. I am not even going to try to use those shavings -- just a hunch, but I believe conifers will probably add as much to the BD as it removes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
My tests using Fir are documented in the ecopure thread. I

I'll have to go back and check I forgot about them. Remebered some problems others had had with softwwods.

posted Hide Post
quote:
o, I have a cabinet shop and I use only the shavings of wood that I am currently using in projects. I have some ash (very similar to white oak) lumber at my house from which I could make some shavings, but I really don't want to waste energy just to do tests.

Fair enough. If you could list woods as you use them so we could build up a picture of how they all work it would be good for us all.

posted Hide Post
Hi Guys
How can you tell when the woodchips are exhausted and how do you dispose of them after use?

Dom

You can not change the winds, but you can reset your sails.

Location: South Australia | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post