BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    wood chips/shavings(Seattle area)

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wood chips/shavings(Seattle area)
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondering if anyone on here from the Seattle wouldn't mind sharing there wood chip source? Mine dried up and I'll need a new batch of shaving soon.

Dave

posted Hide Post
37 looks and know one wants to shair there supplier. I guess I didn't realize it was suck a tight market. Thanks anyways.

Dave

posted Hide Post
How far do you want to drive?

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Virginia is a little for. I live in Lynnwood which is 15 miles north of Seattle. I work in Redmond and drive to Olympia at least once a month. Anywhere in between would be great. What do you have in mind?

Dave

posted Hide Post
The last person that came to get some shavings sent a truck 900 mile one way and bought a plane ticket to visit. Did not know if you were 3+ times that desperate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fuelfarmer,

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got Yellow Pages? Look for the companies that remove trees and chip them. They're a good source for free wood chips. Be resourceful and don't expect others to meet your needs.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
John-
Ya, I got yellow pages. Boy thanks for that tip! What is this forum for anyway? Sharing info. and helping others out, right. I'm sure you have never gotten anything usefull from it right?

For the record the Pacific North West isn't full of hardwood trees like other parts of the country. Mainly dougfir which isn't ideal for filtering biodiesel, info you probably got from the yellow pages also.

Dave

posted Hide Post
Ask for poplar, cottonwood, alder, or willow chips. All common in the PNW. Most will know what they're taking out and you just meet them on site or pay them to get a big bagfull for ya.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
up north of everett there is big lumber yard with a kiln. They probably sell the sawdust from the kiln dried lumber. douglas fir is ok. just test some with methanol to see if it needs to be pretreated.

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIOMAKER:
37 looks and know one wants to shair there supplier. I guess I didn't realize it was suck a tight market. Thanks anyways.

Dave

Dave :
See if you can find a cabinet shop in the area.
Mine supplies me with more than I can handle. They just throw it in the dumpster.
Be sure they know you can't use any pressed wood as it will have glues in it.
Any dry hard wood should do a good job for you.
If it is too fine you will want to screen it. The stuff I get has no fine stuff in it.
The first batch through was useable without rinsing.
Good Luck !!

Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check farm supply stores for animal bedding,get fir but not pine shavings and it will work good.

posted Hide Post
We have the same situation here in Colorado as in the PNW, not that many hardwood trees. I've called just about every wood shop in the area and they all use processed wood and do not separate out the processed/natural chips/dust so that won't work. I started using aspen chips from the feed stores which seems to work ok. I need to figure out a way to increase the volume of the filter. I've tried the steel barrel but don't have the room for gravity feed and had problems with leaks and pressure build up. I currently use two PVC columns as chip filters but that has proven to not provide enough volume for efficient filtering.

Dana Knight "dckfly"
Boulder, CO

Chevy Silverado Duramax
3 VW TDI (wife and friends)

Location: Boulder, CO | Registered: May 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Check farm supply stores for animal bedding,get fir but not pine shavings and it will work good.

Fir is ok? How do you test for resins in the BD after filtering?

Dana Knight "dckfly"
Boulder, CO

Chevy Silverado Duramax
3 VW TDI (wife and friends)

Location: Boulder, CO | Registered: May 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I read - on this very forum - that the resins would form a layer when water washed.

If that's true you could run a couple of batches through the softwood filter to remove the resins, and water wash the resins out after.

With no soap left - all you'd be removing is the resins - water washing would be trivial.

Fair warning: I haven't yet tried this, so take with a shaker of salt.

Location: Maine, USA | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post