BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Nissan/Datsun    Anyone have experiance with the Nissan SD-33 3.2L turbo diesel in a 80 scout traveler
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experiance with the Nissan SD-33 3.2L turbo diesel in a 80 scout traveler
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking at one of these, seems like a bit more of my kind of vehicle rather than a Mercedies, about the same size engine and power and the vehicle is close to the same size as a Merc station wagon but with a low 4-to-1 low gear and 4-wheel drive with 2.65 low range. Web postings indicate it gets 20-25 MPG in town and can get up to 30 on the road? (most websites say more like 20 in town, 25 on the road)

This links to the engine specs, looks pretty solid to me. Some websites say the power band is sort of small, between 2000 and 2400 and the turbo torque graph shows this to be the peak torque region, the torque does fall off a bit below and above that but the owner says he had not noticed any driving problems even towing a 1000 or more pound trailer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tim c cook,

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tim, you may already know about this nissan/datsun diesel site. Look at the fifth one from the top.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/index.php

I have a 1982 diesel 720. It gets over 30 mpg on short trips. I like trucks.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Nissan diesel discussion link, I had not yet found them. I did find the "Binder Bulletin" site with lots of SD33 info.

Just started researching this engine/vehicle, looks promising, have found references to folks running them on veg with only a few mods needed. The one I am looking at has been setting outside for maybe 10 years so looks a bit rough but has all it's glass and no rustouts or dents. it was a daily driver when parked, the engine is supposed to have only around 25,000 miles on a full rebuild.

Nissan 720 - I have a 84 gas engine automatic trans 720 that I am trying to decide what to do with, I pulled the engine apart due to a blown head gasket and then deciding to do a full rebuild even though it didn't really need it, that was about 15 years ago and still have not gotten back to it, have all the parts so I suppose I should just rebuild the gas engine and forget about swapping in a diesel, especially if I pick up this diesel Scout, decisions-decisions. Main problem now is that the 720 has been setting in the Arizona sun with the hood off and all the plastic in the engine compartment has crumbled away.

The 84 was a bad year for the 720, last year before fuel injection and computer, it has a bunch of independent electronic smog monitoring boxes hid around it, any one of them senses anything wrong and they shut off the fuel pump, got tired of stalling in intersections so hot wired the fuel pump to the ignition, it is old enough now that no smog testing is needed so not really a problem anymore I guess, may add one of the aftermarket carburetor upgrades anyway. If I could up the compression a point or so I would set it up for E85 fuel exclusivly, or maybe wood gas by installing a gassifier in the bed?

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is yours a king or reg cab?
Mine is a king. I like the leg room.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 720 is a king cab with a long bed, good thing as I am 6ft 6 inch tall. Main aggravation was on long trips, the automatic shift lever is in a center console, your right leg ends up laying against the sharp edge of the console and gets sore. From watching the prices of diesel 720's on ebay I think it is far easier and cheaper to buy a complete diesel truck rather than trying to swap a diesel into this one, probably be another 10 years before I make up my mind which way to go? Surprisingly, I did get 31 MPG with the bed loaded and towing an old air cooled VW on a long trip, Probably would still be driving it if a dealer tuneup had not left off a hose on the back side of the intake manifold, ran worse than when I took it in, the lean mixture blew the head gasket before I found the problem. The additional 4 spark plugs would sure help ignite wood smoke though, maybe make a static generator engine to run on wood, apparently there are some higher compression race pistons available from Nissan performance, still have to look in to that.

posted Hide Post
Long bed? Is your bed longer than 6'?
Last week the starter failed and the IPC is giving me trouble. Everything i need must be ordered (28 year old vehicle) , at least the parts are still available. The starter should be here first of june.

David Norwood

posted Hide Post
OK, this shows how little I know about the Nissan 720 pickup. I dug the original paperwork out of the glove box, it says it has a STANDARD cab, looked at pictures on the net and, yes, it is the standard cab. Wikipedia says they extended the standard cab slightly in 1983.5 so that may be why I have marginally adequate leg room. This must have been a late-in-the-year build as it has the double walled bed that Wiki says first came out in 85? The truck is 2 wheel drive and the bed measures 7ft 3 inches inside. The wheel base measures 110 inches.

ImageFull_view_of_truck.JPG (7 Kb, 10 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Through 84 the bed has top and bottom sections that bolt together (the seam is a major location for rust). In 83 the inner bed wall was added and bolts in place.In 85 the bed is one piece with welded inner wall.
I would like to find inner bed walls for my king from an 83 or 84.

You are correct, the reg cab did change in 83.

Can you tell i have read-up on these and looked at quite a few?

If you decide to repair your gas burner, lots of info is available here http://720world.ning.com/forum

David Norwood

posted Hide Post
quote:
ising, have found references to folks running them on veg with only a few mods needed. The one I am looking at has been setting outside for maybe 10 years so looks a bit rough but has all it's glass and no rustouts or dents. it was a daily driver when parked, the engine is supposed to have only around 25,000 miles on a full rebuild.

Nissan 720 - I have a 84 gas engine automatic trans 720 that I am trying to decide what to do with, I pulled the engine apart due to a blown head gasket and then deciding to do a full rebuild even though it didn't really need it, that was about 15 years ago and still have not gotten back to it, have all the parts so I suppose I should just rebuild the gas engine and forget about swapping in a diesel, especially if I pick up this diesel Scout, decisions-decisions. Main problem now is that the 720 has been setting in the Arizona sun with the hood off and all the plastic in the engine compartment has crumbled away.

The 84 was a bad year for the 720, last year before fuel injection and computer, it has a bunch of independent electronic smog monitoring boxes hid around it, any one of them senses anything wrong and they shut off the fuel pump, got tired of stalling in intersections so hot wired the fuel pump to the ignition, it is old enough now that no smog testing is needed so not really a problem anymore I guess, may add one of the aftermarket carburetor upgrades anyway. If I could up the compression a point or so I would set it up for E85 fuel exclusivly, or maybe wood gas by

Tim, what did you find out about the engine. I have found one for a decent price. Are there any problems?

Location: Mito, Japan | Registered: November 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not found much info concering burning veg in this engine other than a couple simple comments, the only negative I read about with veg is that it will surge at idle unless you mod the fuel return output from the injection pump by removing a restriction, forget just what the mod was now.

There is a lot of info about the SD33 or SD33T engine on the web, it was, and still is, used in fork lifts and other industrial equipment so parts are available. I did not find any referance to any specific problems or any obvious weak components with the engine. Tracking these vehicles on Ebay, as well as reading other discussion sites, all seem to referance the fact that the engine always smokes a bit after a cold start but stops smoking once it is warmed up, apparently this is normal. The 1980 year of the traviler vehicle is the only year they turboed but the normal max boost is only about 5 pounds because they kept the engine at its original high compression of 21-to-1. The turbo is waste gated so you have the boost available at fairly low rpms.

I found discussions where folks had upped the boost with no immediate problems but other folks cautioned this could cause problems over time. Seems the engine, in it's factory condition, is considered by most to be "bullet proof" and will run about forever, found a couple referances to engines still running without rebuilding at over 400,000 miles.

I don't see any problem with the SD33(-T) engine so far.

There are lots of web discussins about swapping this engine in to jeeps.

There are also a lot of web comments from what I suspect are young folks about the engine being under-powered, they all want to swap in some bigger engine, I don't see the need, the guy that was driving the one I found doesn't either, he says it has plenty of power for the size of the vehicle and has no problem with freeway speeds even towing a couple thousand pounds of trailer, but he is used to how a diesel engine performs.

The following web address goes to the binderbulletin.org Diesel vehicle discussion index page. (auto-linking won't work?) Many interesting discussions there about the SD33 engine.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/...57dbcd795334d81&f=10

posted Hide Post
I started looking into it more, and it seems I was looking at the QD32 instead of the SD opps.

Location: Mito, Japan | Registered: November 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did two conversions on SD-33 motors the first was a Nissan Maxima it ran great but if you left it sit in grease mode for more than 5 minutes it was really really hard to start. The Second conversion was a 1990 Jeep Cherokee that had a Japan motor that came from South Africa. The motor was much newer and look much different than my Maxima. It was a somewhat easy conversion but it was not a turbo model.

It was not my truck so I used it the day I converted it. I let it sit for 10 minutes and it started but, not well. They need a good flush whenever the motor is turned off.

I find the problem with that vehicle is that they are all 30 years old, same problem I have with my Mercedes.

You should drive my Jeep Liberty two tank WVO conversion the 4X4 is impressive. I have not tried it in snow but does good in the rain and dirt. Runs smooth, not all falling apart like my Mercedes. Or the old maxima I had that leaked oil all over the place and had really bad brakes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maddasher,

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The SD33 is supposed to be the best engine Nissan made. They were used in Patrol's over here.
The Nissan Patrol does not have much of a reputation for reliability under harsh conditions but that has more to do with the vehicle than the engine.

An old bushy saying
"If you want to go bush take a Landrover or Landcruiser, If you want to come back alive take a Landcruiser."

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This links to another scout diesel discussion under the "miscelanious vehicles and engines" forum.

posted Hide Post
Well I'm not an expert but I have an experience on using these Nissan SD-33 3.2L turbo diesel from my Nissan C80. I think you should look at sites that sells truck and car parts so you could see what you really want. There are also SD-33 that produces 98 hp available there. I've researched and compared these site's prices and I provided a link to the site that has the cheapest price.