BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Links    Finding waste oil

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding waste oil
 Login/Join

posted
I have finally gotten my processor together and made a couple of small batches. But, I'm having problems finding a reliable source for my waste oil. Every Chinese place that I have tried already has someone picking up the oil, and more disturbingly they say they are getting paid for it. Is it common to have to pay for the waste oil? The one chicken place that was interested in letting me have the oil titrated very high (7.5)

Any advice

Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
When I hunt for oil, I go out at night with about 30 small sample containers. I go to every restaurant, bar, bowling alley, theater, etc etc and collect small samples.

Take them home, titrate and pick the good ones.. Then make phone calls and ask if I can take some of their oil.. Usually they say yes.
Out of almost 150 places, I've had just two no's.

I avoid chicken places now because of high tallow content.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Murphy,
Update on the oil hunt, I took your advice and pulled about 15 samples, I was able to source oil from 4 of the 5 top places.
One is a chicken and fish fry place - I was able to convince the manager to just dump the oil from from the fish fyers into my barrel and it's pretty good stuff.

Thanks for your help!

As the temps are dropping up here in Michigan it's going to be a challenge to pump the oil of of my barrels.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get my waste oil from a local Mexican restaurant. It is very good stuff, even if it is somewhat over cooked. The reason, I think, is that they don't cook any meat products in the oil. I got some oil from a friend who got it from another fast-food chain that does cook a lot of meat products in their oil. The oil I got contaminated all of the good oil I already had. If your oil titrates high, it needs more Lye (NaOH), or whatever catalyst you use.

posted Hide Post
The really sad occurrence is when your best contract using canolla goes out of business.

Proprietor of The Blunderbuss muzzle loading gun shop. Member of Denver Biodiesel CO-OP.

Location: lakewood, Co. | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those wishing to build a processor and begin making their own biodiesel, I can't emphasize enough that the very first step must be securing your feedstock source. Even if it means you might end up with several hundred gallons of wvo before you even begin construction of your reactor. (Not too difficult to get rid of it if your project plans fall through).

Establishing contacts, relationships, and a system of collection is a significant undertaking in and of itself.

I realize this might be too late for some, and I truly wish the best to those who put the cart before the horse, but I feel compelled to really get the word out to those just beginning to explore this great forum.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may be useful

GO/NO GO Field Titration

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by race56:
more disturbingly they say they are getting paid for it. Is it common to have to pay for the waste oil?
Any advice

Sanimax pays .06 per pound or about .45 to .50 cents a gallon. Its hard getting people to let us biodieselers pick up around here because of that. Thay dont want to switch and are under contract. Even if you put a barrel next to theres they can legaly still empty yours. I fought with one driver about that once. If you find a great low titrating source and thay dont want to switch to you offer them a little more money. its still worth it.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when i first started making my processor i was on the hunt for good oil i tried places and got mostly horrible oil samples, so i continued to make my processor, close to the end of my building and gathering all my barrels and plumbing parts exc exc a new chinese place was opening up down the street from my house, the first 2 weeks i had oil that titrated over 20! i was very dissapointed (i get this oil free and its soybean) i called the owner and said if the oil stays so bad (lots of burnt food and particles) i would have to discontinue the pickup so he said ok well the next pick up after about 2 weeks of letting my barrel fill i got the oil brought it home and it titrated at about 2.6 using koh mabe beautifull bio and has so far been very good, one thing i reccomend is leave a good 6-10 in of oil in the bottom to let any junk fall out this has greatly increased the quality and i like to pick up the night before they change their oil so i have decently settled oil!
hope this helps new resturants are a good place to look!

Location: md | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will have much better success if you stop referring to used VO as 'waste'. Waste is treated like garbage. If you come at it with the perspective of recycling used VO you'll get better responses and better quality used fryer oil. Perception is very important.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving and Christmas is a great time to find free lightly used oil used for frying turkeys. Craigslist and Freecycle are great places to find free good quality oil.

GulDam

Location: SFBay | Registered: October 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like more places are going to liquid fryer shortening . One place I get wvo from switched to LFS,and I told them I won't pick up their wvo anymore. Maybe I'm being too picky but it gells quicker . I finally gave up another place who said they have someone that'll pay .40/gallon. I was running errands for them in exchange for their wvo and it was costing me about double and the wvo titrated 13. I have enough in storage to get me thru next year . In the mean time I'll hunt for some better wvo.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post