BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Links    Propane Tank & vacuum Plant

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Propane Tank & vacuum Plant
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I have built this plant. Not sure of the correct place to post this.
Design Features.

Mastered from Graham Laming's Push pull Processor.
Adapted from the The GL Eco-System - waterless biodiesel processor.
Adapted from Ian Jackson's System using vacuum most effectively.
Adapted from Jkenny's acid stage method.

The reactor vessel is a 45kg propane tank 108L The methanol recovery tank is a 9kg propane tank. The methoxide mixer has a pair of super magnet driven by a 12v wiper motor moving a bar with super magnets inside a 50L drum.

I prefer the internal processor heater layout as it is not dependent on pump flow for safety. I use two heaters with stove simistats (max setting 4/5) to account for the lower thermal conductivity of WVO together with a manual set thermostat.
Multiple inputs exist at pump input for all liquid input and circulation options.

There is vacuum pump on the cold side (bottom) of the condenser to provide vacuum when required for input of liquids, de-watering of WVO and methanol recovery.

There is a processor outlet immediately above the max glycerol level and the pump just above this level. Thus the pump can be supplied from top middle or bottom of the processor and delivered to the top or bottom of the processor.

Vacuum is used to: Import WVO assist with de-watering and methanol recovery during reverse pumping action.

A foaming trap has not been found to be necessary probably because de-watering is standard practice and heat and vacuum levels are fully controllable.

Vacuum is a vital tool in managing all gas and fluid flows. Therefore I have used a modified small compressor for this task. It has a brushless AC induction motor so no spark creation. The important protection for this gas pump is adequate condenser capacity and the ability to control both vacuum level and processor temperature.

Full discretion and photos at David"s Biodiesel Plant Jan 2011

Plant description in forum Links section. Running B50-B90 in Nissan 89 Laurel with RD28 motor and Diahatsu 87 Delta Camper with Toyota 13B motor.

Location: South Waikato NZ | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some lab set ups a cold vacuum trap is used in vacuum distillation to help keep the vapors from getting to the vacuum pump. You might look at it and consider it. Otherwise your set up sounds really good.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post