BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Links    I have a querry regarding Biodiesel production from Jatropha oil

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a querry regarding Biodiesel production from Jatropha oil
 Login/Join

posted
Dear friends
I am working on producing biodiesel from Jatropha oil. while carrying experiment I took metanol and mixed it with NaOH in proper quantities, then i took jatropha oil and heated it till 60 C, And then I mixed both the things.As soon as i mixed them there was the formation of a waxy layer on the surface.I dont know biodiesel was formed or not.But actully the temperature here in where i am performing experiment is very less. It is maxm 16 and min below tht reahces sometimes till -1.So the reason which i thought for this waxy layer foration is the temperature. Friends is this the correct reason. Does the biodiesel reach its cloud point at this temperature, or else what can be the reason. Please suggest me the proper reason.

posted Hide Post
Mixing oil, methanol and NaOH to produce biodiesel takes time. In my experiments I mix for one hour or more, while the reactants are kept at a temperature above 55 degrees centigrade. This reaction takes time. It does not react very quickly. How long did you mix and heat it? Possibly I do not understand your description of your reaction.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well see,I have taken Methanol to jatropha oil ratio 1:6.And Catalyst NaOH 0.5% by weight of Oil.I mixed catayst an Methanol first and kept the mixture stirring for 5 minutes at room temperature.Then I heated oil in a flask in a heating mantle upto 60deg.Then I mixed this heated oil with the methanol catalyst mixture(Sodium methoxide).This mixture I kept on stirring at room temperature.But within very few time, a waxy layer was formed on the surface.Previously when I was doing experiment on Biodiesel from soyabean oil then the reaction was perfect at room temperature and i got proper two layers one of Biodiesel and the other of glycerine.I had carried that reaction for 1 hour.But from Jatropha as soon as I mix the two reactants i.e Sodium methoxide and Oil,I am getting a thick layer.I am not understanding the reason,Is it because the atmospheric temperature which is in the range 1 to 12deg.Shall I heat both the reactants seperatly and then mix them and carry the reaction at 60 deg insted of room temperature.

posted Hide Post
I have made biodiesel before, successfully. Carry (maintain) the reaction at 55 to 60 degrees centigrade for one hour, with constant stirring. The stirring should cause the methanol and oil layer to mix completely. Use methanol to jatropha oil ratio 1:5, not 1:6. Try using 5 grams NaOH per litre of new jatropha oil. Your oil should have no water in it or your catalyst (NaOH) will make soap, not biodiesel. Do not heat the methanol NaOH solution separately. Methanol is poison and can cause blindness, as little as 10 millilitres of methanol can cause permanent blindness. Even breathing the vapors can be fatal. I put a stopper on my flask while I do my reactions for biodiesel, so methanol vapors do not poison me. I use magnetic stirring to mix my reactants. Are you using new oil or used oil? Remember methanol fumes can catch fire. Do not heat your flask with a flame. I wonder what type of equipment you have. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Thanks alot.
I have ultrsonic processor for mixing the reactants.It will reduce the time for reaction by very large value.I did not heat the methanol since I knew its boiling point is near about 64degree centigrades.thanks for the information which you gave that even 10 ml of methanol causes blindness.I will try the experiment at 55 to 60degrees.Now again I have a doubt whether I should heat oil previous to mixing for removing moisture and upto wht temperature?Because if I heat it till 70 degrees then when I will mix it with Methanol them it may happen that methanol will get evaporated .I am using fresh jatropha oil.And I am using 250ml of oil for each run.So, tell me what percentage of catalyst NaOH should I use.should I take 1.24grams of NaOH according to the ratio u told.Like if 5 grams for 1lit of oil then 1.24 grams for 250 ml.Or should I take it in percentage by weight of oil. And one more thing I still didnt get the reason for waxy layer formation,Its not fom its a waxy thik layer as if the oil is thickening as it gets in cold atmosphere.When its purely oil it doesnt thicken but as soon as I mix it with sodium Methoxide it thickens.What can be the reason?

posted Hide Post
I do not know what the wax layer is. I have not had this problem. 5 grams of NaOH per litre of new oil, by volume. The methanol should not have water in it also. It does not have to be perfectly dry but the dryer the better. Most Sodium Hydroxide is not 100 per cent pure. Purity of the NaOH ought to be taken into account when calculating how much NaOH to use. I expect you can do the calculations for that. If the NaOH is 90 per cent pure then you would add more than 5 grams per litre of oil, that would come to 5.555 grams per litre for 90 per cent pure NaOH, to make 5 grams of NaOH. This thickening might be a clue that you have water in your reaction mixture. Is the methanol, anhydrous? Is the oil dry (without water). Thanks