BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Just how important is it to dry biodiesel to less than 500ppm?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just how important is it to dry biodiesel to less than 500ppm?
 Login/Join

posted
For the last few years I have used an IMB Turbo Dryer to dry my biodiesel. It is very efficient and can dry biodiesel to less than 200ppm water in a few hours.

Here in the UK most home brewers bubble and settle their biodiesel and do not dry it. I have tested many samples finished this way and the water level is always around the 600ppm region.

I have taken Johns (IMB's) lead as regards drying and will continue to dry my biodiesel to less than 200ppm simply because it is my way to get as good quality bio as possible, but this begs the question is this really essential.

The reason I ask is that to my knowledge the several hundred members on the UK forums that are using their settled and undried bio have never had a problem that can be directly connected to excess water. Some of these brewers have been using bio finished this way for around 15 years.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dgs,
By starting this discussion in this obscure Ireland biodiesel section of the forum it is unlikely to be read by many forum members.
This is an interesting point of discussion for everyone who makes and uses biodiesel, not just people living in Ireland.

I recommend that you move this discussion into the main General Biodiesel Discussion or the Making Biodiesel area of the forum where it is likely to be read by everyone.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post