BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Old Faithful Fight Club - a place to exorcise (or exercise) your demons

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Faithful Fight Club - a place to exorcise (or exercise) your demons
 Login/Join

posted
OK 'friends' of the Biodiesel in Ireland section, I thought I would create a new thread where people can come to vent like Yellowstone's Old Faithful and have a good old-fashioned e-fistfight if that kinda thing brews your bio. I think this is an option to try to keep the shennanigans confined to a bespoke location and help keep Biodiesel in Irealnd clean! Hopefully this thread will stop us, all of us, continuing to make hypocrites of ourselves and simultaneously mean we can actually focus on constructive discussion (and by that I mean something more meaningful than the two extremes of either ass-kissing or ass-kicking that seems to have polarised the forum participants) and avoid the thread drift and childish BS (as one person put it)that seems to plague here.

To get the ball rolling:

Tilly, were you not able to find the term "people skills" in any Australian dictionaries? ;-)

ps: I must confess to being honoured following your last reply on Orwell when you actually addressed me by name. If I am not mistaken that is the first time you have replied to me, adressing me in person.

I was almost reduced to tears! Perhaps you're taking this whole "people skills" thing seriously?!

2001 Saab 93 TiD B50
2006 Mercedes C200 CDI (no DPF) B50 (for now)

Location: Stroke County | Registered: July 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Drum,

quote:
Originally posted by Drum:

Tilly, were you not able to find the term "people skills" in any Australian dictionaries? ;-)
I do not have an Australian dictionary.
I looked on the internet.

quote:
ps: I must confess to being honoured following your last reply on Orwell when you actually addressed me by name. If I am not mistaken that is the first time you have replied to me, adressing me in person.
I was almost reduced to tears! Perhaps you're taking this whole "people skills" thing seriously?!
Your memory is getting as bad as mine.
I posted Oct 23 2014
Hi Drum,...
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...257015973#7257015973

I am pleased to know that you hold my recognition of what you post in such high regard.
Perhaps the problem is that most of the time you have not written anything that required my response

Even more interesting is that John Galt says this about starting a post by addressing some one at the start of a post-
" Trolls always identify themselves by personally addressing someone on a public forum instead of objectively discussing the subject at hand"

So according to John, only a troll would start a post by saying "Hi Drum"

PS, did you notice you misspelled addressing, Ireland and shenanigans in your above post? Wink

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Careful with your logic Tilly. I have not read John's full post but as far as the portion you use in your quote goes, John did not say that 'only trolls would do that'! It may well be the case that "trolls always do it" but not necessarily the case that everyone who does it is a troll!

Trolls are a subset of the population, thank goodness! Extra homework for you this evening Tilly!

As for my spelling I can only point to the fact that most of my replies come via typing on my phone which is a bit of a pain to be honest. That shenanigans had an extra n is a direct result of fast typing on a little keyboard.

I had to giggle at you pointing out the 'Ireland' and 'addressing' as spelt incorrectly because elsewhere in the post I spelt both corretly! I thought to myself, classic Tilly!!

2001 Saab 93 TiD B50

Location: Stroke County | Registered: July 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Drum,

quote:
Originally posted by Drum:
Careful with your logic Tilly. I have not read John's full post but as far as the portion you use in your quote goes, John did not say that 'only trolls would do that'! It may well be the case that "trolls always do it" but not necessarily the case that everyone who does it is a troll!
I think his definition of troll is variable, depending on what and who has currently upset him.

quote:
Trolls are a subset of the population, thank goodness! Extra homework for you this evening Tilly!
I know all about trolls

"Trip, trap, trip, trap! "

quote:
As for my spelling I can only point to the fact that most of my replies come via typing on my phone which is a bit of a pain to be honest. That shenanigans had an extra n is a direct result of fast typing on a little keyboard.
Until recently it has always been considered to be "bad form" to point out spelling mistakes on the forum for several reasons including the excuse you have just given for the spelling mistakes in your post.
So it has become an unwritten rule on the forum that no one points out spelling mistakes- until recently.

In the last few weeks I misspelled Warnqvist twice and both times this brought comments from people who apparently are offended by misspelling.
Now that I know you are very particular about correct spelling, I am just helping you achieve perfection.

In your most recent post to the "biodiesel in Ireland" thread you misspelled soybean, problem, precipitate, because, and characteristics.

Personally, I think other things are more important than sorting out minor spelling mistakes, so if you like I will not point out any more of your spelling mistakes if you do not worry about my spelling mistakes.

Let me know what you think.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tilly I can live with that. And I agree, we don't come to this forum to be assessed on our spelling or grammar. More on our ability to tear strips off each other. Only joking! Seriously though I believe asking difficult question of people, as you do, is what leads to improvements for everyone. Even if you could have, on occasion, been a little more diplomatic! :-)

This is a funny thread to be coming to a truce!! Hehehe! Though the title does give the option of exorcising and exercising.

2001 Saab 93 TiD B50

posted Hide Post
The problem with trolls is the personally abusive pedantic antics.
People who address the subject not the person don't cause problems like the trolls do.
Anyone who addresses another member personally on a public forum is trolling for a personal response, and is mostly there to make trouble, not to advance the knowledge shared.
Trolls who address forum members personally get placed on ignore lists.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
The problem with trolls is the personally abusive pedantic antics.
People who address the subject not the person don't cause problems like the trolls do.
Anyone who addresses another member personally on a public forum is trolling for a personal response, and is mostly there to make trouble, not to advance the knowledge shared.
Trolls who address forum members personally get placed on ignore lists.

John I shall respectively disagree with your interpretation of the act of addressing people by name. Yes I can accept a Troll will do it to target someone and solicit a reaction but in Ireland it is courtesy to address someone by name whether you are going to be positive or negative in your approach. In fact probably the most courteous of all people on this forum, in John O'Neill, IMB, habitually addressed people by name. I base my decision on the intentions of the poster by the content of the post and have found some of the most obnoxious posts to have not addressed someone by name or even to have bothered to quote their previous post.

And as for Ignore buttons, they're broke! ;-)

2001 Saab 93 TiD B50