Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Car
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I related my experience and offered advice to anyone not using a vehicle for a while. The theory that I posited related to the tendency of some oils to degrade faster than others and so far you have not produced any evidence that it is false except that you have never experienced it.

Because you are not aware of a problem does not mean it does not exist. For instance you dont seem to be aware of the difference between posted and posited but that difference still exists.
Life really is too short for these pissing competitions.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EDIT
I see the post I responded to has been edited and some changes have been made.
I will just leave my original response stand. The order of my response is as the original post was

quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:
Life really is too short for these pissing competitions.
Just trying to sort out some questionable information you have posited.

quote:
I related my experience and offered advice to anyone not using a vehicle for a while. Because you are not aware of a problem does not mean it does not exist.
The problem is that you provide nothing to support your claims of biodiesel damaging your IP or what you base your advice on. You left your car sit for 8 months and when you tried to start it the IP needed replacement.

As for the dark thick and smelly fluid in the fuel filter.
You say you use pale coloured, low viscosity biodiesel and 8 months later it was dark thick and smelly. What was the fuel in your tank like?
I have never seen biodiesel become darker with time. It can become lighter as the glycerine settles out.

I have seen dark smelly liquid in a fuel filter. This was from an old diesel engine that had only been run on petro diesel and the fuel filter had not been changed in years.
My guess would be that if your biodiesel turned thick and dark and smelly it was because it cleaned out some of the gunk in the fuel tank- or maybe someone sneaked into your yard and put the dark viscous liquid into your filter.

As a point of interest, I make my years supply of biodiesel over the space of about a month. Right now I am running on biodiesel produced about 11 months ago. I still have a couple hundred gallons to use that I made this time last year. The biodiesel looks and smells fine and more importantly the car runs fine.
Just this morning I ran my last biodiesel production batch for my fuel needs up to and probably well past this time next year. I had to use up all the methanol on hand, no point in storing it for next year.

quote:
For instance you dont seem to be aware of the difference between posted and posited but that difference still exists.
Ah yes. posited Never heard of it before.

posit
...put forward as fact or as a basis for argument.

You got your argument alright.

If you could do us a favor, next time you posit something in such a way that it looks like you are posting facts, let us know.

And for the third time, what did the mechanic say about your IP when He opened it up?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Poppy,

Location: Louisiana | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you are starting to become confusing
quote:
The theory that I posited related to the tendency of some oils to degrade faster than others and so far you have not produced any evidence that it is false except that you have never experienced it.
The reason I have not addressed your "theory" that there is a "tendency of some oils to degrade faster than others" was because I never questioned that and that is not contained in your original post. As far as I can see it is a red hearing.
Why do you think I asked you if you make your biodiesel from linseed oil?

I congratulate you on "discovering" that some oils degrade faster than others.

I am quite concerned about some of the information in your original post which I re-post below:

"Just a word of warning about car engines and biodiesel. If your vehicle is going to be off the road for more than a couple of weeks you should flush out the system with ordinary diesel. Once biodiesel has been heated, as it is in an injector pump it degrades rapidly, suffering both oxidation and polymerization. The result can be blockages in the injector pump causing damage to the pump as soon as the engine is restarted. This happened to one of my Skoda Felicias and meant a replacement pump.

So use up all of the biodiesel in the tank and refill with diesel and make sure to drive at least 20 miles on the refilled tank"

Location: Louisiana | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Poppy,
please go away.

2001 Citroen Xsara
2002 VW T4 Transporter
on B100

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: December 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have still provided no evidence that what I said was wrong except that you have not personally experienced such a problem, and until you do there is nothing discuss.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy paddys day.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will become a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Location: Ireland | Registered: May 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
An interesting wrinkle in this discussion. The mechanic did not change the IP, I did. It has been sitting in my scrap bin for the last month. I took it over to his house to wish him a happy st Patricks day and ask him to have a look at it. I didnt before because he charges 40 euro an hour and this is a pump I wont be using again.
He tells me that since I spoke to him he has seen 3 more cars with the same problem, one used biodiesel but the others used diesel. All had a dark coloured mess in the filter and 2 had suffered terminal IP damage.
His theory, and I stress that this is only a theory, is that the filters are to blame. He believes that a local motor factor is selling cheap chinese made fuel filters and that the paper element is glued to the frame with glue that dissolves in the fuel. With its stronger solvent quality this will happen more quickly if the fuel is biodiesel. All the cars that were damaged were either used very little or had been off the road for a while. Unfortunately I burned the fuel filter I removed from the car so I cant prove this theory either
But Im a big enough man to admit I may have been wrong and the lesson here is that Ockhams razor is not always a suitable tool for car maintenance.

posted Hide Post
Well said.
Happy Saint Patrick's

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opinions welcome,

Having issues with TDDI mondeo, have done a few tests to try understand what it is or is not,

Car starts fine and will drive for approx 10 miles before losing power and cutting out with some white smoke.

Car will idle all day in garden no problem.

Held revs at 3000 for about 10 mins also forcing engine temp up, no issue.

Symptoms begun after filling to the top with B50, fuel guage dropped to zero before coming back.

Changed fuel filter, no chnage.

Now, there is a second pump at the tank I have discovered, it makes a fairly loud buzzing, is it possible this pump could have been filled with crap from tank when bio was put in?

Any opinions or experiance greatly appreciated.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will become a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

posted Hide Post
quote:

His theory, and I stress that this is only a theory, is that the filters are to blame. He believes that a local motor factor is selling cheap chinese made fuel filters and that the paper element is glued to the frame with glue that dissolves in the fuel.

Oy Vey!

I think I will stick with the "dirty filter that had not been changed for a long time."

quote:
Im a big enough man to admit I may have been wrong
Does it take a big man to acknowledge that he might have been wrong?

quote:
and the lesson here is that Ockhams razor is not always a suitable tool for car maintenance.
Considering the wealth of knowledge that has been accumulated over the many years use of biodiesel as a motor fuel, Occams razor would favor that the fuel filters had not been changed in a long time, not that biodiesel turns into a dark foul smelling viscous liquid if left to sit in a car fuel system for a few weeks.

At least now people do not need to worry about draining their fuel system after a few weeks if they have biodiesel sitting in it.

posted Hide Post
Well thankfully I keep service records. The fuel filter was changed On 9.6 13 along with new leak off hoses and a replacement front nearside brake caliper. The mileage was 207000, a month later with the mileage at 209507 the car was taken off the road. So the "dirty old filter" had done 2500 miles, What would Ockham have made of that? Probably not much since he was a medieval monk who didnt have to service his own car.

posted Hide Post
quote:
So the "dirty old filter" had done 2500 miles, What would Ockham have made of that?

A dirty new filter. Apparently biodiesel cleans out fuel tanks and deposits the gunk in the filter. I frequently read warnings about this very problem.

posted Hide Post
Thats very true , but usually shortly after the vehicle is changed over from petrodiesel to biodiesel. When changing my fuel filter which I do every 20,000 miles I usually open the filter cannister to check for debris. (I advise all my customers to do this so I try to practice what I preach). There was a small amount in the first one 60,000 miles ago and nothing since.
The bacterial growth that builds up in a diesel tank is very recognisable, this looked nothing like that.

posted Hide Post
I'm getting very tired of poppys continuous bombardment of argumentative quotes against Imake and other helpful and experienced members on infopop whilst himself giving very little in return.
As I've said on a previous thread -when you, I or any forum member gives their honest opinion in good faith we shouldn't be made to feel accountable for it.
It should of course be questioned if one doesn't agree but we should not point fingers saying "your wrong and I can prove it" nor is this forum a knowledge competition.
I'm hoping your not a 'troll' thats just out for a argument.
Life's to short now let's move along

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Breathnach:
Opinions welcome,

Now, there is a second pump at the tank I have discovered, it makes a fairly loud buzzing, is it possible this pump could have been filled with crap from tank when bio was put in?

Any opinions or experiance greatly appreciated.

It could be the problem. It could be clogged or on the way out. It's probably supplying enough fuel for tickover and a little more. I don't know about the Mondao but in my BMW fuel cools the HPP (high pressure pump) if your pump is heating after a little milage it could be your problem. Take it off and check for blockage. Check voltage going to it and do a bench test of the pump itself.
If youre having problems with it let me know.

Seán

Eagles may soar but hogs don't get sucked in to jet engines.
BMW 530D B100 VW POLO B100 Ford TW15 B100 Hitachi E60 B100 Ford FM274 B100

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks sean.

i am having a crank sensor fitted later, if the problem persists, i will have this pump removed & tested and change fuel filter again.

my feeling is there was a massive rush of sludge left tank & blocked either pump & or filter.

have replaced filter once but would be willing to replace again to be sure once i have pump taken off.

how can this type of pump be cleaned out?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Breathnach:
how can this type of pump be cleaned out?

The fuel tank pump on my Xantia was easy to remove, you lifted up the back seat and there was a access panel for the tank, you simply screwed off the access panel and the tank pump was looking at you.
Maybe the mondeo has something similar.
It's worth taking a few minutes to lift the back seat to check.

posted Hide Post
Poppy, in my opinion you're just a time-wasting, trouble-seeking, smart arse. Whenever I see that you've posted, my temperature rises and I firmly believe the forum can do without approaches like yours. Like all trouble makers who are good at it, your arguments have some validity, but your approach is unnerving, hyper critical, sarcastic and severely lacking in the trust and friendship that is generally such a big part of the treads here. We who know IMB know that he is an extremely knowledgeable, well-meaning guy, who spends much of every day researching all sorts of fuel-related stuff. He is very generous with his knowledge, which he offers free on this forum, and like any information offered anywhere, the reader is also free to make what they will of it. OF COURSE it's just his opinion, that goes without saying. Many of us here like to hear his opinions, they are generally worth hearing, and as far as I'm aware he's not on trial, except by you, it would seem.
So do us all a favour and go and pick nits somewhere else.

2001 Citroen Xsara
2002 VW T4 Transporter
on B100

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: December 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bravo Frankie 100% in agreement. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This forum's ignore function is your friend. Use it to hide messages from trolls and sock puppets.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post