Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Car
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have 2 Felicias and they are great little cars. My estate has done 120,000 miles on B100 with no bother. They do have the Lucas injector pump which is considered inferior to the Bosch pump but provided you keep your quality high you will have no problems. Veg oil blends will harm the injection system long term but that may not matter to you.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for the responses. I am going to ask around to see if I can source oil. If I can, I may give it a go but I have to finish off a solar project first.

Location: Longford | Registered: May 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when looking forward new car,Dpf's can be a worry with Biodiesel.
so I've been asking around about diesel particle filters and most mechanics say
they weren't properly introduced till 2007 so most car before 07 should be safe enough.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_...iculate-filters.html

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:
I have 2 Felicias and they are great little cars. My estate has done 120,000 miles on B100 with no bother. They do have the Lucas injector pump which is considered inferior to the Bosch pump but provided you keep your quality high you will have no problems. Veg oil blends will harm the injection system long term but that may not matter to you.

What year are your felicia's?

I intend to use it in a felica,

1998, 1.9D, 5 door hatchback.

You think it will run OK, yes?

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will become a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Location: Ireland | Registered: May 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 97 1.9d estate and a 98 1.9d hatchback. Both go like a dream on 100% biodiesel. Change your fuel filter after a week of driving on bio and again after a month. After that go back to normal 20,000 mile intervals.
www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakebiodiesel,

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 97 1.9d estate and a 98 1.9d hatchback. Both go like a dream on 100% biodiesel. Change your fuel filter after a week of driving on bio and again after a month. After that go back to normal 20,000 mile intervals.

Thatnks a million, now i just have to learn how to change the fuel filter, any short tutorials? Smile

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will become a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Location: Ireland | Registered: May 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Trigger, Here in south Africa the Audi had the DP filter installed certainly from 2005. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Received this Email from Skoda

thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for delay response due to the large number of queries.
The older engines (up to EU 3 incl.) are capable to run on biodiesel, detailed information can be usually found in car manual
("Fuel" chapter).
This chapter may vary from country to country (it is up to each importer to certify use of Bio fuel), but in Czech Republic the
Biodiesel rules are following:
- Biodiesel can be used for EU 3 engines only (1,4 TDI PD/55 kW, 1,9 SDI/50 kW, 1,9 TDI/66 kW, 1,9 TDI PD/74 kW, 1,9 TDI/81 kW
and V6 2,5 TDI/114 kW) produced before the end of May 2007
- Biodiesel has to comply with DIN E 51 606/ EN 14214
- Biodiesel can be mixed with Diesel (EN 590) up to B100
- No additives (e.g. Petrol) are allowed
- Temperature limit to run on Biodiesel is -10°C
Running on Biodiesel may decrease the power and/or increase consumption.
Hope you will find this information useful.
Best regards

Location: Dublin Ireland | Registered: January 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly new to this but i have successfully made some biodiesel to a decent standard, 40ppm soap, 220 ppm water ans >98% conversion.
My question is as follows:
I drive a 2003 Mazda 6 Estate Direct injection 2 litre engine and im pouring into it B50. Will the pot holes and the speed bump shake and mix the diesel with the bio in the tank or shall i pre mix my fuel before i pour it in? Is B50 the maximum i can go with such car?
Thanks

posted Hide Post
I think if you pop in 20L bio and then 20L derv or visa versa it should mix ok.
Don’t know about the Mazda 6. What type of fuel system has it got e.g. is it a common rail type?

Eagles may soar but hogs don't get sucked in to jet engines.
BMW 530D B100 VW POLO B100 Ford TW15 B100 Hitachi E60 B100 Ford FM274 B100

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum Zamo. Biodiesel and diesel are miscible, that is they will mix in any proportions and will not separate into layers. There is no need to premix.
Whoever services your car should be able to tell you what type of injection system it has. If it is a common rail type I would stick to 50/50, Keep an eye on your fuel filter, it may get blocked in the first few weeks of driving on biodiesel. Best to change it after a month.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Ninja and IMB for you reply. Yes my car is common rail and its direct injection. so far I have done 400 miles on B50 but the urge is there and it keeps niggling at me to put in more!
I guess B50 is already a big saver on €1.60/litre and i should leave it at that

posted Hide Post
I would stick to 50/50 until the weather warms up next spring. If everything has gone smoothly up to then (and I think if your quality is consistently that good it will) try a richer blend.

posted Hide Post
I'm getting a new diesel car for the mrs as she's doing a lot of miles and I'm looking for a bit of input. I'm looking for an estate 2 liters or less (tax!!!) and in and around '00. I'm leaning towards a Skoda octavia at the moment but open to anything really, vw's too but my mechanic says they can eat money in maitanance. Any sugestions advice welcome

I came across a site before that you could enter in your engine details and it would tell you if it was compatible but i cant find it again anyone know of it?

And just to put it into this section I have run a 96 toyota hilux for a couple of years on bought bio with no problem other than not starting one frozen morning and ive about 9000 up on homebrew in a 98 landcruiser which is loving it too.

posted Hide Post
If you are looking for an estate car suitable for biodiesel, less than 2litre, my choice would be the VW golf or the Skoda felicia. The Golf is well a golf, very well built, very reliable but a bit overpriced. The Felicia was made right up to 2000 and can be bought as cheap as chips. Its just a good a car as the golf and shares most of the same components.
I have two of them and the estate, which I bought 3 years ago for 250 euro, has done 100,000 miles on B100.

posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are looking for an estate car suitable for biodiesel, less than 2litre, my choice would be the VW golf or the Skoda felici.

what year do you recommend......before 2000?
was looking at a golf myself...

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Audi,V W brands, up to 2005 here in South Africa, but I think 2006 in your area, that's without a bit of alterations to the PDF etc. My Audi Avant 1.90L loved Bio, no mods necessary. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes the Audi 1.9 engine is bullet proof-like my citroen xud engine.
The later 2.0 engine is not so good,they changed them over here around 05/06 with a weaker fuel pump and started introducing dpf at the same time.

Some of the early Audi 2.0 engine be the dpf ,some didn't.
Think i remember Jim saying that dpf was introduced a lot later in south Africa

posted Hide Post
The Skoda Felicia was in production up to 2001. There were no significant changes made to the felicia between 1994 and 2001 so parts are easy and cheap to source. They had a 64bhp, non turbo, 1.9 VW diesel engine. It has the Lucas rather than the better Bosh injection pump but I have had no problems. I would buy the latest, lowest mileage one you can find. The estate has a huge boot. A company in yorkshire called Jorily are very good for parts. Fast delivery and very low prices. They often dispatch direct from their warehouse in the Czech republic. My local Skoda dealer quoted me 129 euro for a replacement gearchange linkage with 3-4 days wait and drive to Cork to collect. Jorily delivered to my door in 2 days for 29 pounds.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel: My local Skoda dealer quoted me 129 euro for a replacement gearchange linkage with 3-4 days wait and drive to Cork to collect. Jorily delivered to my door in 2 days for 29 pounds.

Unbelievable !
Thats a heck of a difference !
Make you wonder how they can be so much cheaper?