Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Car
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Im very sorry to hear about your crash but thankfully you were not badly hurt.
VAG cars certainly have a good reputation for safety. I have a neighbour who is a full time fireman and he was telling me that the fire service are having to upgrade the Jaws of Life that they use. The current ones sometimes cant open crashed Volvo, Merc or VAG cars.

I have customers who are running late model common rail cars on high biodiesel/diesel blends without any issues. Some have had DPF removed others have not. However all of them make their own fuel and test religiously. The quality is very important and my minimum standard would be
Conversion >98%
Water <250ppm
Soap <70ppm

I dont recommend higher than 50% biodiesel in these cars because the higher viscosity of biodiesel puts the high pressure injection pump under additional stress. Pump failure is not unusual in common rail engines and is very expensive.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Thierry, sorry to hear about your accident, sounds like a lucky escape, thankfully you are ok.

I drive an 08 reg VW passat, it has the 1.9 pd engine. I think after 08 they changed the engine to a 2.0 tdi and by a lot of accounts this was an inferior engine to the 1.9 and gave a lot of trouble.

Mine had a dpf which I had removed and it runs very happily on B100. Hope this helps.

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thierry,
Pleased your ok, crashes are bad things. At the end of the day the car is only a lump of metal and replaceable.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, thanks for the kind messages.
I went to look at a 2007 vw transporter 2.5L TDI 4motion today. I know the guy selling it quite well.
I have a job coming up that will involve driving through fields, mucky tracks, small water drains and possibly on beaches. I also need to carry stuff around so the van will be handy. I had seen one of them VW transporters 4motion tearing through wet hilly fields and snow and i was well impressed by it's 4 by 4 capabilities. I might just buy it and keep it for the duration of the job. I won't be paying for the diesel while on the job. I'll buy a car once the job finishes. that will most definitely be an audi a4 tdi pre 2004.
Happy new year to all, may 2015 bring you peace, joy and cheap motoring! Smile

Location: Galway | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi lads, was just wondering if anyone out there was running a 04,05,06, 1.4 fiesta on bio. Maybe B50,B100. My son is interested in one but hates buying fuel. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks.

07 fiat scudo 120 multijet b50; 03 1.4 hdi on b100.

Location: Co Wexford,Ireland | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi captoe
quote:
Originally posted by captoe:
My son is interested in one but hates buying fuel. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks.
He could try to steal fuel. Wink

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi lads, was just wondering if anyone out there was running a 04,05,06, 1.4 fiesta on bio. Maybe B50,B100. My son is interested in one but hates buying fuel. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks.

Sorry have no experience of one. B50 should be ok. Keep a close eye on engine oil level and use a quality oil. Hopefully someone here has some experience with one. Good bio would be a must. I have started running a 131reg 35C20 Iveco on B50 and hope to increase that as the weather warms up. So far so good.

Seán

Eagles may soar but hogs don't get sucked in to jet engines.
BMW 530D B100 VW POLO B100 Ford TW15 B100 Hitachi E60 B100 Ford FM274 B100

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for your response Ninga12R. The only thing about newer stuff is the DPF filters. If it has one it will clog it . I ran a fiat van on b50 for about 40000 km before I had to remove it. It is a pity this forum has died off the way it has, but with CLOWNS like Ttommy and Tilly responding like that who could blame intelligent people losing interest. I would love to meet you two some day to discuss the above comments.

Location: Co Wexford,Ireland | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ttommy:
quote:
Originally posted by captoe: My son is interested in one but hates buying fuel. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks.

No offense but your son must be a complete tight arse!

Maybe he would be better off just running a 50% WVO blend and be done with it?

Please do not run the 04 fiesta on any mixture of veg oil,from what I understand this is bad advice as it would be extremely unwise.
Soumds like your making biofuel already so as that other bloke says a 50/50 bio/pump diesel should he fine.
I have been researching some of the Ireland threads and have read the experiments that member 'imakebiodiesel' conducted into viscosity of different blends and concludes 50/50 blend suitable for more modern diesel engine -common rail etc.

I've been refraining from commenting on the forum but couldn't stand back and watch your son possibly wreck his car.
In future you should ask on the English vegetable oil diesel forum,I've so far found them very knowledgeable regarding types of vehicles than run on alternative fuels and there is no ignorant or smart remarks just friendly helpful advice.

Location: uk | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been researching some of the Ireland threads and have read the experiments that member 'imakebiodiesel' conducted into viscosity of different blends and concludes 50/50 blend suitable for more modern diesel engine -common rail etc.

No, that is incorrect, the viscosity is not the problem with the modern diesel at all, it is the DPF in the exhaust and the way that it is regenerated. This leads to plugged exhausts and engine oil dilution with b100 and high blends because the bio does not burn off like pump diesel.
I have over 100,000km on a 2007 Duramax common rail diesel that runs in excess of 30,000PSI that loves B100 (blended in winter only).
No problems with viscosity.
Ninja has sound advice, I would also look into what percentage of bio Ford rates the engine for as that will be a good indicator of its readiness for bio. Eg: Rated for B5 = Be very careful with B50 blends, rated for B20 I would not think twice about running it at B50, your mileage may vary...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your concern and advice, just revising,. I would never put any veg oil blend in a vehicle used on the public road in Ireland. It is illegal and you will get done by customs. Ill definitely look into the English forums , thanks
John Heron , I agree with you 100%.
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond
captoe

posted Hide Post
quote:
never put any veg oil blend in a vehicle used on the public road in Ireland. It is illegal and you will get done by customs.

That's a rather harsh rule. Do they give a reason or is it just 'government rules'?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi here revising,

quote:
Originally posted by here revising.:
Soumds like your making biofuel already so as that other bloke says a 50/50 bio/pump diesel should he fine.

I've been refraining from commenting on the forum but couldn't stand back and watch your son possibly wreck his car...there is no ignorant or smart remarks just friendly helpful advice.
You claim to have come to this forum to find out information about making biodiesel. You were immediately offered the hand of friendship and help finding any information required by a number of forum members
Now you say you have been refraining from commenting on this forum, and telling people to go use another forum where "there is no ignorant or smart remarks just friendly helpful advice."
Everyone responded to you in a friendly way and immediately offered you any assistance you needed.
Why did say that?

Let me again assure you There was Never a golden age of biodiesel discovery and development on the Ireland forum. A lot of what happened amounted to rediscovering information that was already available on the main forum.
And some of what they discovered was inaccurate.

I think it is fortunate that you did reply in this case so that Jon Heron could clear up the incorrect information you were telling someone else you seem to have found on the Ireland forum about using B100 in direct injection engines.

There are lots of first hand reports of people using B100 biodiesel for hundreds of thousands of miles in direct injection diesels with no problem at all.

quote:
In future you should ask on the English vegetable oil diesel forum,I've so far found them very knowledgeable regarding types of vehicles than run on alternative fuels and there is no ignorant or smart remarks just friendly helpful advice.
And shame on you for telling people to go to another forum

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tilly,

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi captoe,

quote:
I would love to meet you two some day to discuss the above comments.
It sounds like a plan.
Next time I fly into Eire you can pick me up at the airport and we can go to a pub, have a pint of Black Nectar and discuss possible methods of stealing fuel Wink

Anarchist Moderator
posted Hide Post
Personal attacks deleted for lack of relevant content.

If you don't like the forum that's fine.

Continued resorting to personal attacks will never result in meaningful change.

I have an idea - let's bat biodiesel related ideas around - we don't have to agree on things.

Wink

Got Renewable Fuel?

Location: Moncure, North Carolina | Registered: April 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an idea - let's bat biodiesel related ideas around - we don't have to agree on things.

Well said Bob.
I think some people take opinions too personally, rather then just taking them for what they are, opinions.
A very common problem with passionate people debating things.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said men, well said

posted Hide Post
quote:

Hi Captoe,
As you know I don’t bother posting here now but seeing as you got little more than the usual grief here’s my advice.
Forget about the Ford. From talking to NCT testers the models you are looking at will at this stage be failing emissions tests. That is why Ford in recent years have been using Volvo engines. It’s also the reason the other US makes are not selling here. They are incapable of building engines to the tolerances required to provide the performance and emissions required here. Over there they just use big cubes and tons of fuel and still really go nowhere. You’ll see a big v8 with a load of noise and then some little squirt in a Japanese 2.0L skyline will just blow it away. You won’t see them in Formula1 or just imagine a Harley against a Ducati in Moto GP, it won’t go, definitely won’t stop and what about getting around a bend? Game over.
It depends on what your son wants from a car. Italians will produce torque and then take that to revs = performance and they can also produce handling and economy. French German and Nordic will give you a good mix of mainly comfort handling economy and some with performance. The French can be a bit difficult to work on, they never seem to think of the guy who may have to work on it later. The Japanese, well they just keep going and going.
The dreaded DPF is not as big a problem as some say. If you have a good stretch of motorway near you, you can do the forced regen and usually once every 2 weeks should do but you would still have the viscosity problem to some extent. The viscosity is important because it has to do with, in layman’s terms, the spray pattern of the fuel, the MSV, timing etc. all due to extremely tight tolerances. It would take too much to explain it here so best bet it, join the German BMW Registered Owners and then follow the link to biodiesel home brewers. If you don’t own an EU registered BMW then apply for a temp membership and use my name as a sponsor and when they contact me I will vouch for you. That way can take a few weeks though. Once in then go to the bio link. Don’t worry about the lingo, it’s no problem as somebody will always help you out. There is one French guy “Ulm44zf4” whose mother is Irish and he’s brilliant. You won’t get anybody shovelling out the greatest insult an Irish person can get of spelling you country Éire as Eire and all that with the blessing of the moderators. They wouldn’t even think of it as anybody who would wouldn’t be allowed on. While I’ve been on BMW for years it’s only of late I followed the bio. They are light years ahead. Dgs’s glycerol system has been taken 5 steps further a long while ago. The wintering bio thread is great, a whole new way of doing it, no more worries of lard. And much more. Like the UK sites if you put your idea up there they won’t go picking holes in it, they’ll try it for themselves and work to improve it. They do what German and French have always done, chuck the book of scientific rules out the window and re write it and that is why they are where they are today.
So see what car he would like and then before buying check out the DPF issue.
There are a lot of UK sites also dealing with it, everything from completely dumping it to electronically manipulating the fuel system to suite your needs. They are not limited to just bio issues.
About 3 years ago a friend of mine got his 35C18 injectors re nozzled and ECU’s remapped to suite B100 in Dublin. Since then he has had no issues on B100 and passed at least two DOE’s emissions no problem. I don’t know their name but his directions were pass Red Cow on Naas Rd. Left at lights, on to next cross road lights left (Western Ind) 200M right at DHL right again through gates left, right before gates to Mann Trucks and they are on the left.
This cost him over €800 but there are cheaper DIY fixes on those sites.

Seán

Eagles may soar but hogs don't get sucked in to jet engines.
BMW 530D B100 VW POLO B100 Ford TW15 B100 Hitachi E60 B100 Ford FM274 B100

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi Sean,
You have posted so seldomly here since I re-joined I could not recall who you are. So I had a look at a few of your most recent posts and now I remember, you are the “Pecker Man”.
A couple of months ago you posted something to me about you had an IMB150 processor and it was as useful as your pecker. I remember that at the time I mentally winced for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Ninja12R:
Forget about the Ford. From talking to NCT testers the models you are looking at will at this stage be failing emissions tests. That is why Ford in recent years have been using Volvo engines. It’s also the reason the other US makes are not selling here. They are incapable of building engines to the tolerances required to provide the performance and emissions required here.
It would probably be best if you researched things before posting incorrect information.
Ford is in a joint venture with PSA (Peugeot/ Citeron) to design and build diesel engines.
These diesel engines are/were produced at Ford of Britain's main plant at Dagenham, England, at Ford's Chennai plant in India and the Ford-owned Volvo Engine Plant in Skövde Sweden (Sold to Geely Automobile Holdings Limited China in 2010)
They are also produced by PSA at Trémery and Douvrin in France.

The 1.4 diesel in question is one of these joint venture diesel engines and could have been built at any of these engine plants.

quote:
Over there they just use big cubes and tons of fuel and still really go nowhere. You’ll see a big v8 with a load of noise and then some little squirt in a Japanese 2.0L skyline will just blow it away. You won’t see them in Formula1 or just imagine a Harley against a Ducati in Moto GP, it won’t go, definitely won’t stop and what about getting around a bend? Game over.
I did not know that the Skyline, Formula 1, Harley or Ducati came with a diesel.

quote:
The viscosity is important because it has to do with, in layman’s terms, the spray pattern of the fuel, the MSV, timing etc. all due to extremely tight tolerances.
It would take too much to explain it here so best bet it, join the German BMW Registered Owners and then follow the link to biodiesel home brewers...That way can take a few weeks though.
We can't wait for a couple of weeks!
Just go ahead and explain everything using big words, we will figure it out.
Google is your friend when it comes to sorting out the meaning of big words.

quote:
You won’t get anybody shovelling out the greatest insult an Irish person can get of spelling you country Éire as Eire and all that with the blessing of the moderators.
Unbelievable to be sure, to be sure.
Do you mean the absolutely Greatest insult an Irish person can have is spelling the name of his country as Eire?
Do you mean that is even worse that saying rude things about an Irishman's mother or his wife or sister.

I thought I should tell you, I have just performed a search on the forum and find there are 5 other people who have spelled it as Eire. Two of them are Irish!
To be sure, to be sure.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...Type=1&search=Search

quote:
They wouldn’t even think of it as anybody who would wouldn’t be allowed on.
Of course they wouldn't. The spelling of Eire is the first thing the moderators of a German discussion forum would look for. Wink

quote:
While I’ve been on BMW for years it’s only of late I followed the bio. They are light years ahead. Dgs’s glycerol system has been taken 5 steps further a long while ago.

About 2 months ago you posted ”I have been using his (Dgs) pre treatment method now for my last 5 batches and it works. I’m not worried about the science of it, it works.”
Now you say the Germans are 5 steps ahead of Dgs. Have you told Dgs that he is wasting his time and he should go to this German forum.

quote:
They do what German and French have always done, chuck the book of scientific rules out the window and re write it and that is why they are where they are today.
Do the Germans really do that. All the Germans I have known were pretty supportive of scientific rules

posted Hide Post
Well Ninja12R as it happens I took your advice and we didn't purchase a fiesta after all. My eldest son had a Peugeot 207 1.4 diesel a couple of years ago and we ran that on B100 for over a year with no issues at all. So with that information we decided to look for a car with a similar engine. Done deal was combed through every night and after a while we decided on a Peugeot 307 , 1.4 diesel. No dpf issues as there isn't one so all is left to do now is teach him how to drive. Thank you for your extended reply and good advice .