BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    CP. Waste Plastic to kerosene.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CP. Waste Plastic to kerosene.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Very exciting....have you tried broken flower pots as the catalyst? Terra Cotta.
A cracking plant will derive its heat from burning off the carbon from the zeolites. So instead of using kerosene to heat the retort...look at the water gas process, specifically how the "benches" were fired alternately and Siemens Regenerators where used to save the heat. It could be possible to have two alternating catalytic chambers to provide the activation heat for this process.

Another thought is that glycerine can be used as the heat carrier to melt the plastic, as anyone who runs a recovery still, finds out, when they pour the dry glycerine into the cubies after a run.....
DF

"I don't work with collectives. I don't consult, I don't co-operate, I don't collaborate."
Howard Roark

Location: Calumet, Michigan, Great White North | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every type of clay has some catalytic properties. ZSM-5 synthetic zeolite would be classed as high catalytic action, unbaked clay would be medium and kiln baked clay would be low. But low does not mean bad, in fact a medium or low catalytic action can prevent overcracking which is a common problem in backyard cracking projects.

I only use 250 gms of catalyst per batch so there would not be enough to provide a significant amount of energy although I know from reading about commercial cracking plants where hundreds of tons of catalyst are used they do recover heat from the regeneration process.

In a way I do recover the energy in the catalyst. I use the wax byproduct mixed with waste sawdust and the spent catalyst to produce fire logs. I burn them in my woodstove and they burn hot and clean.

www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did tests without the use of catalysts. successful. 1000 kg for plastic, how many kg of catalyst should I use? What happens if we put into the retort catalyst? I used plastic granules. pp Although who was not vapor. What could be the reason?, I recently'm thinking of doing a system 2000 kg. with electric heating. I put into the retort resistance, although contact with plastics is that okay?
thanks

posted Hide Post
Plastics can be cracked without a catalyst, but more energy is required and it is more difficult to produce a specific fuel. My catalyst comes in contact with the vapours as they leave the retort and I use 1kg of catalyst per 100kg of plastic. You can put a catalyst into the retort with the plastic but you will need more catalyst per kg of plastic.
Using electric heaters within the retort should work ok providing no air can enter the retort at any stage. It may make cleaning and maintenance more difficult.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for interesting imakebiodiesel.
I've used PP granules. The first batch was very nice. 3 and 4 batch has melted, but did not steam. Why can it?

posted Hide Post
When cracking plastics, very accurate temperature control is important. You must monitor and control temperature in the retort and at the head of the reflux column to within a couple of degrees C. What temperatures did you use in the batches you have done so far?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:
You can use all forms of PE polyethylene, PP polypropylene, and PS polystyrene.
You cant use PVC, PET or any no 7 plastics.
The first 3 are the most common and account for 85% of waste plastics.
Im not sure about bioplastics, they are still uncommon so I havnt tried them yet.
At present the processor holds 15 kg of plastic and yields 16.5 litres of fuel. However I am developing a continuous feed that will increase the yield dramatically.

www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com

Location: Gauteng, RSA | Registered: February 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John,
Thanks for all the usefull info on your website & videos. I have learned a lot about biodiesel
& kerosene production.I am a handyman myself & started to build a CP Waste Plastic to Kerosene
Processor as per the sketch on one of the posts.If I use a 2" pipe for the catalyst column, what
length should this column be. To produce kerosene, I need clay pot fragments . Must this be coarse
or small pieces. Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards.

Pieta

Location: Gauteng, RSA | Registered: February 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Pieta,
IMB posted on here recently that he will not be checking in here very often anymore due to other priority's.
I would suggest you send him an email or contact him through his website as there is a good chance he will not see your question here...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your effort, I do appreciate your time

Regards,

Pieta