BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    CP. Waste Plastic to kerosene.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CP. Waste Plastic to kerosene.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi John, I wonder if the gas could be captured and used to fire the burner?

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be doing a batch every week from now on so anyone who wants to come and see it call me on 0863169230 to find out what day.
The off gas could and will be used to supplement the heating. At present I just burn it on a gas cooking ring.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have received a flood of email and calls this week from all over the world. This topic has certainly aroused a lot of interest.
At this stage I should make clear what my intentions are. I am seeking up to 6 individuals who have suitable fabrication and development skills who will construct a processor similar to mine. I will provide them with plans and catalyst at a fair market price. ( the total cost of fuel produced will be less than 20 cents per litre) and we will work collectively to improve the design and process. I want to do it this way because I have a very busy biodiesel processor business to attend to and also want to allocate time to developing the catalyst further. This is where my skills and experience are best directed. My own fabrication skills are limited and I feel that with a group of motivated people we can develop this project into a viable proposition. Ultimately this could lead to a business producing commercial fuel or manufacturing units for sale.
I want to stress I am not looking for investors or contracts to build plants.
If you think you are a suitable person to join this development group feel free to contact me by email. At present I can only ship the catalyst to Ireland and possibly the UK as I do not have a certified MDSD for it. Metal fabrication, welding and plumbing skills essential, experience in biodiesel or other fuels a definite advantage.

www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
At present the processor holds 15 kg of plastic and yields 16.5 litres of fuel. However I am developing a continuous feed that will increase the yield dramatically.

Vary interesting IMB. I have a suggestion for your continuous feed system. I did something similar for my son-in-law’s wood burning stove to feed wood pellets. If you know any farmers in your area with grain or feed silos they will probably have a broken auger feeder auger. They can be up to 30 or 40 feet long and do break and all you would need is about 5 to 10 feet of one. Feed from a lower level to minimise the escape of fuel gasses. Just thinking about it, the feed stock bin and feed system would want to be sealed and purged of air as I think that at processing temperature any oxygen getting in there could cause an explosion or a fire at the least, now I could be wrong about this but I would be cautious. This is a system I must have a go at. Plastic waste is not a problem. Machining milling and welding no problem. The rest would take a bit of figuring out.

Sean

Eagles may soar but hogs don't get sucked in to jet engines.
BMW 530D B100 VW POLO B100 Ford TW15 B100 Hitachi E60 B100 Ford FM274 B100

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am working on an augur fed extruder that would feed plastic into the retort continouosly. The plastic would be forced into a hot melt zone and then pushed through a nozzle into the retort. I am constructing a small version of it at the moment but now you have given me a clue where I can get a full sized augur. What sort of diameter are feed augurs?
Purging the retort and excluding air is extremely important both for safety and for the quality of the fuel.

posted Hide Post
The one I used was, as best I can remember 75mm. I know I have seen smaller probably 40 or 50mm.

Sean

Eagles may soar but hogs don't get sucked in to jet engines.
BMW 530D B100 VW POLO B100 Ford TW15 B100 Hitachi E60 B100 Ford FM274 B100

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Brilliant project IMB. I only wish I had time to dedicate to this. I do have heavy fabrication experience which I hope be able to offer to lend a hand only in the near future.

My experience with screw conveyors is that the feed needs to be a consistant consistency or you will cause blockages in the screw which will damage the motor and drive, or more commonly cause a blockage in the feed hopper. I've had to fit 'air guns' and pneumatic hammers to hoppers to solve this problem in the past. I think trying to force molten plastic through a screw will be difficult and hard to gear but not impossible.

My first thoughts on this after seeing your set up and mass of plastic was too come up with a process to turn the WP into pellets, granule or chip using heat and compression to get a consistant feedstock. This product could then be used in a simple screw conveyor. Two processes, not very efficient I know.

Location: Cork | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BNG is correct, augers only work reliably with uniformly granular materials like grain and wood pellets.

Consider a 'loadable' chamber with a piston ram to force material into the reactor

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pen State has done some work with waste plastic.

http://extension.psu.edu/natur.../waste-plastics-fuel

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Japanese inventor Kiyoshi Nakajima, is the creator of the Blest plastic-to-oil process. His reactors are marketed by E-N-ergy Ltd, but they're expensive.

David from Oz who posts here occasionally under a few names, has build a reactor that makes fuel from waste plastic. Use the 'find' function to review the discussion.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys sound like you have learned from experience with augurs. Im building a small unit to make filament for my 3d printer ( yet another hobby). But this one will process ABS pellets so should be ok. For the CP processor most of the material I want to feed in continuously is plastic film silage covers, plastic bags etc. It might be possible to ram this material with minimal shredding.

Research is going on everywhere into plastic to fuel. There is a plant here in Ireland producing 60,000 litres of synthetic fuel every week. Most developers in the field are interested in building large scale multimillion euro plants. My focus is on the small CP processor, something suitable for a small or medium size business to turn their plastic waste into fuel or the individual who wants to make their own fuel.
Most large plants use very expensive synthetic catalysts that must be regenerated after use. I have developed a cheap disposable catalyst that makes small scale production viable.

posted Hide Post
You may want to see this video that shows details of the CP processor and the fuel it produces.

http://youtu.be/BqGW4_m_zWM

imakebiodiesel.webs.com

posted Hide Post
Very good video John, I didn't realise I had a cameo role in it, I can't wait for the royalty checks to come flooding in the door. Seriously though thanks for the tour the other day, I really enjoyed it. This is fascinating stuff, the potential is enormous too. Well done again to you and Ruaidhri.

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dean,if you forward me your Equity membership details Ill get that appearance checque out to you straight away. I forgot about your sample, Ill test it today.
Here is a picture of the off gas from the process. as you can see its not a lot of gas but it burns very cleanly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Japanese inventor Kiyoshi Nakajima, is the creator of the Blest plastic-to-oil process. His reactors are marketed by E-N-ergy Ltd, but they're expensive.

Running some quick numbers
Their B600 unit rated @162 Gal/Day continuous flow consumes 1320lbs of plastic @.34/lb
(current rate paid here in Al. in bulk) and 35Kw per Hr @ .11 per KWH .
Plastic and energy cost are over $540 per 162 gal or about $3.33 /Gallon.
Isn't that what Kerosene is selling for today ? and nothing left over to replace Mr. Nakajima's
expensive reactor when it breaks?
IMB we are watching and waiting. Please keep it up and keep us posted !!
regards to all
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to collect and store the gas for future use maybe with a similar type of system you would use with a small methane digester (or would the added pressure cause a problem?)?

posted Hide Post
Hamlin, you have put your finger on an important issue here. Many of the larger developers in the area of plastic to oil are proceeding without any thought for viabilty. The reason for this is that they are aware that in Europe the amount of waste plastic allowed in landfill is being reduced every year and by 2021 no plastic whatsoever will be allowed in landfill. They believe that local authorities and large companies will have no choice but to buy into their technology and that viability will not be an issue. Their primary concerns are emissions, carbon footprint, safety and labour costs.
While these things are important, viability remains of prime importance to small and medium size processors.

Womble, the off gas can be collected and used later. I have added a sketch of a simple gasometer. The upper drum would be supported on a pulley to make it weightless when collecting gas. A weight would be placed on it to provide pressure when using the gas.

posted Hide Post
Plastic -> fuel reactors are being used in places where there is lots of waste plastic but the cost of transporting it for recycling makes that unattractive as compared with turning it into fuel. Hamlin's economics don't apply in those very common cases.

posted Hide Post
Clean sorted and shredded plastic is a very valuable product and in Europe is worth between 600 and 1000 euro a tonne, which is more than the wholesale price of a tonne of fuel, so it makes no sense to turn that into fuel. Dirty mixed waste, and as you mentioned, waste that is too far from a suitable recycling plant is the ideal feedstock. This process can turn that type of plastic, which at the moment is a burden, into a resource.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Plastic -> fuel reactors are being used in places where there is lots of waste plastic but the cost of transporting it for recycling makes that unattractive as compared with turning it into fuel. Hamlin's economics don't apply in those very common cases.

Plastic is everywhere and every community will have different circumstances.
Unfortunately for me in North Alabama, it is attractive for recyclers to pay .34/lb for sorted plastic and haul it to another city. I can't pay the bills @ .34 lb , haul it 10 minutes to my shop and make fuel with Mr. Nakajima's processor without a handout from Mr. Obama.
Who is John Galt anyway ??
hehe

( Quote ) IMB
Dirty mixed waste, and as you mentioned, waste that is too far from a suitable recycling plant is the ideal feedstock. This process can turn that type of plastic, which at the moment is a burden, into a resource (Quote)

Making fuel with the stuff the big guys don't want and cant take will make a difference in any community and will seperate the men from the boys. IMB says he can do it for less than $1 /Gallon.
Hamlin's economics says that smells like a winner !!
regards to all
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post