BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Propane bottle oil stove.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Propane bottle oil stove.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have recently done some tests for a customer that might interest you. the customer has a supply of waste hydraulic oil we wants to use . He has a ordinary Riello kerosene burner. My advice to him was to reset his burner on the diesel settings and run it on green diesel/gasoil for a few weeks. Meanwhile I tested his waste oil for SG, viscosity and flash point. I found that by mixing 45% waste oil to 55% kerosene I was able to match gasoil.
So after filtering the mixture down to 10 micron it burned cleanly and well in the Riello 40 series burner.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tests mentioned above were done to a mixture of hydraulic oil and kerosene which is fairly transparent. The fuel must be transparent to be able to test for viscosity. Waste motor oil is not transparent. However I found that if the SG of the mixture was adjusted to match diesel then the other specs were a near match as well.
To test the SG ( Specific gravity) simply weigh a litre of the liquid in grams.

Link to Viscosity test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taOx94tugXs

www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats very interesting, so potentially huge amounts of hydraulic oil can be used in burners at gasoil setting. i will look into this further.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will become a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Location: Ireland | Registered: May 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all and happy new year,
As I am soon to be moving house, I am giving away around 400 litres of WMO as well as my propane bottle oil stove complete with the vaporising pot burner (used). Also giving away some 55 gallons barrels.
send me a message if you're interested, we can then swap numbers.
I'm near Galway city.

Location: Galway | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, the propane bottle oil stove now has a new owner, very nice guy from around this forum.
All the best

posted Hide Post
Hi folks,I am the lucky new owner and I just want to say that Theirry is a true gentleman and his hospitality and generosity would gladden your heart. Me self and me mate both agree that meeting him has rekindled our faith in mankind we only wish there were more in the world like him,and your homemade burgers were tres Bon "Vive la France". Burrowman.

posted Hide Post
congrats, i was a little late to the game.

hope the stove brings you much heat.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will become a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Location: Ireland | Registered: May 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burrowman, The circuit diagram for the safety thermostats you wanted is on page 3 of this thread. here is a link to a suitable capillary thermostat from radionics in Dublin. You could save some money by buying these on ebay, just make sure they are the same range and have NO(normally open) and NC ( normally closed ) operation.
http://radionics.rs-online.com...thermostats/7334726/
This is one available on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Univ...&hash=item5d3c317bd8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakebiodiesel,

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips John.

posted Hide Post
Hi, the one on ebay might be a better option as it goes to a higher temperature, i remember the flue (insulated) getting as hot as 250C at times about 18" above the stove, it's also half the price.

posted Hide Post
Hi all, there is a guy in ireland that has recently started posting videos on youtube on his way to heat his shed and more recently working on heating water.
he uses an ozzirt burner and has fitted it to a conventional boiler.
I am aware that most boilers have the water jacket at the bottom too but some don't.
Below is the link to his latest video, i recommend that you look at all his videos so as to see how he makes his burner and also used it with a large propane botttle.
His burner seems to be much easier to light than the vaporising pot burner (no switching from kero or biodiesel to waste oil) and easier to clean, it can also throw more heat if you put more fuel. It seems that it would also require less attention. It is also possible to fit safety features such as cut out thermostats on the boiler. I'll definitely try this system in my next home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvparmYPbjA

All the best
Thierry

posted Hide Post
Thats a really good design of stove and I just love his glass door made from a pyrex dish, Im due to replace my workshop heater soon and that is the best Ive seen.
On a different note here is a video of how NOT to prepare a propane tank for cutting and welding. watch this guy , fag in mouth, some burning rubbish a few feet away while he hammers the valve off a propane tank. Definitely a contender for the Darwin awards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2F7d8Y1jbA
I nearly fell of my chair laughing when the head flew off his lump hammer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakebiodiesel,

posted Hide Post
Indeed john, a dangerous man there all right.
One of the reasons why i like the Ozzirt type burner is that there is no need to order a burner (that is also becoming rare thing) from U.S.A that comes with an expensive postage cost and it seems easy to make, its just a matter of getting the air holes right. there are plenty of videos on youtube explaining how to get that right, including videos from Ozzirt himself.
John what do you think of the burner placed in the conventional boiler? such boilers with no water jacket on the bottom are not commun though. I guess that burner could also be placed in a stove with back boiler.

posted Hide Post
I think if you can find a suitable boiler then it has to be worth a try. Many people are changing over to condensing boilers so its not hard to find second hand boilers either cheaply or free. The one he was using was a Grant and there are lots of those around.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:
....here is a video of how NOT to prepare a propane tank for cutting and welding. watch this guy , fag in mouth, some burning rubbish a few feet away while he hammers the valve off a propane tank. Definitely a contender for the Darwin awards.

well it is a rocket stove he's trying to make Smile

posted Hide Post
Inspired by the Guy on Youtube who built the ozzirt burner and propane bottle stove I have started on my own for my workshop. Here is a picture of the burner that I completed today.
http://imageshack.com/a/img811/3740/q1t0.jpg
The 10" brake disc worked perfectly and the pipe on top is a 5" diameter. I suspect the stainless steel saucepan wont look so pretty after the first burn.

posted Hide Post
Nice job.
what do you do with it, Now will you put it inside a half 40 gallon drum or something similar.
http://touch.boards.ie/thread/122071

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://imageshack.com/a/img827/9903/uwvo.jpg
Here is the heater I built today. Two 11kg gas bottles joined together with a short length of pipe, four legs and a flue outlet.
I lit it with a half cup of kerosene and it lit up in a couple of minutes. I fed it manually with an oil can for about half an hour until I couldnt stand close to it and the paint began to burn off.
Tommorrow Ill set up an oil supply.

posted Hide Post
Hey, nice work there John. Mind that old hoover doesn't melt on you. Smile

posted Hide Post
Ive moved it and everything else that close to the heater.