BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    winter biodiesel!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

winter biodiesel!!!!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The fuel used in Toyo and Monitor heating stoves is kerosene, if purchased in bulk it may not be dyed.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Ireland all kerosene ( paraffin) is dyed red and is an illegal fuel for road vehicles. Kerosene costs about 80cents per litre and road diesel costs 1.45cents. The difference is the higher rate of tax which is why the revenue are so draconian about using kerosene in road vehicles. 2500 euro fine plus any estimated tax owed, your vehicle is seized on the roadside and you dont get it back until you pay up.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That wide price spread explains the draconian enforcement. Here stove oil/kerosene is 1.29 per liter and diesel is 1.32 per liter, both are taxed about the same.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Delmar.- Diesel detonation? Diesel doesn’t detonate. However back then diesels ran with a lot of advance. If there was too much petrol in the mix that part of the charge would detonate first causing pitting type damage to the outer part of the piston mainly. Cure was add derv or retard the pump.

quote:
Originally posted by gerard b:
I think I'll be going 50/50 with pump diesel when it gets very cold, I couldn't be a**ed running the gauntlet with customs, not worth it in my opinion. I'll be leaving a jar of bio on the windowsill and watching out for clouding etc,.

I would be inclined to agree with that but maybe 70B 30. I still think a good heating system should be enough for our climate with 90B and 10Derv. John's cold filtering could be a good idea as well. I'll have to go back and read it again and try some tests in the freezer. Would I be correct in thinking that if I get say a 70B 30Derv mix down to -15C and cold filter it I would end up with a fuel good for down to -15C?
Sean

Eagles may soar but hogs don't get sucked in to jet engines.
BMW 530D B100 VW POLO B100 Ford TW15 B100 Hitachi E60 B100 Ford FM274 B100

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would I be correct in thinking that if I get say a 70B 30Derv mix down to -15C and cold filter it I would end up with a fuel good for down to -15C?

Yes, that's what works for me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ninja12R:
Would I be correct in thinking that if I get say a 70B 30Derv mix down to -15C and cold filter it I would end up with a fuel good for down to -15C?
Sean
As long as the fuel isliquid and "bright and clear" at -15C then it should work in your car at -15C

Location: Apeldoorn | Registered: August 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
John & Adriaan thanks.
I’m going to work on this over the next month or so. I think it’s probably my best option. I live on the cost here and we very rarely get -15C so if I aim for that I should be well covered.

Sean

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sean do you know when the garages start using winter derv here,that will also affect our tests,at the moment im sure were still on normal summer derv

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daradec:
sean do you know when the garages start using winter derv here,that will also affect our tests,at the moment im sure were still on normal summer derv

I could be wrong but I thought for the last few years it was winter grade all year round. I'll check it out.

Sean

posted Hide Post
Bulk fuel distributors should have a record of how fuel specs vary with the season.

posted Hide Post
Its that time of year again and I thought I would dust this topic off and get it going again with a couple of pointers for those of you who havnt been through a winter using biodiesel.

1 Get your vehicles ready. Check that batteries are in good condition and that engine heater plugs are all working.

2. Park your vehicle in a garage overnight if you can. If that's not possible park in a spot that gets some morning sun.

3. When starting your vehicle for the first time each day, heat the engine twice before trying the starter motor. Let the engine warm up for a few minutes before driving off.

4. Keep a sample of your biodiesel in a glass jar near where you park your vehicle and check it every morning for cloudiness or gelling.

5. Add a percentage of mineral diesel to your bio or...

6. Add a pour point depressant like Coldflow 402 or...

7. If you have an older engine like mine add 5% petrol.

www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com
www.polydiesel.webs.com

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a complet noob is this winter biodiesel stuff, all i know is im having terrible trouble with my common rail tdi, she's chugging like mad. I changed the fuel filter about 1000 miles ago and now im not using any biodiesel at all.(still having trouble)
I have my kerosene home heating running on a B70 mix and so far i had no problems. Shall i expect any?
I have cold-flow ordered which i will be mixing into my car biodiesel so hopefully i can stay running it on B50 .

Since my car is giving me trouble will the riello do the same soon? there is 700 lites of fuel in the tank will i have to add cold flow to that as well?
Thank you

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zamo27:
I'm a complet noob is this winter biodiesel stuff, all i know is im having terrible trouble with my common rail tdi, she's chugging like mad. I changed the fuel filter about 1000 miles ago and now im not using any biodiesel at all.(still having trouble)

If you're not cold filtering the fuel at ambient outside temperatures as it goes into the vehicle, then your problems will persist and get worse as the temperature drops. The problems are caused by the HMPE components of the biodiesel which drop out of solution below 10°C. They are probably still in the bottom of the fuel tank where they are clogging the intake screen. You may have to drain the tank to remove them or wait till warmer weather.

posted Hide Post
Hello Zamo, I have just noticed a text from you which | missed, sorry about that. The picture you sent me showed HMPEs that had dropped out and as John says these can be difficult to flush out. These crystals will continuously block filters until they are cleared completely. Adding cold flow will help but not totally solve this problem. I would advise you to change the fuel filter again and stop using bio until the weather turns mild again. Im not familiar with your engine but a lower bio blend may be advisable.
How much kerosene is mixed with your 700 litres of bio? 20 - 30% kerosene should keep the fuel flowing down to about -5 or even -6 but lower than that you will need a heater of some sort.

posted Hide Post
Here is a quote from an article about winterizing fuel...

"For some diesel motors it is also possible to add even lighter fuels like gasoline to extend the CFPP characteristics. Some car makers were recommending adding up to 20% gasoline to permit operation in cold weather (at the price of higher consumption) and it had been common practice in Europe where No.1 fuel is not offered at gas stations. Since the 1990s car makers began selling only direct injection diesel engines - these will not withstand any gasoline portions in the fuel as the high pressure in the injection device will ignite the gasoline early on possibly destroying the injectors.

Car makers selling Common Rail or Unit Injector diesel engines prohibit the blending of diesel fuel with either gasoline or kerosene as it may destroy the injection device.[4][7]"

So take care when thinking about adding petrol to your bio.

posted Hide Post
Zamo I think you have more than a HMPE problem. Most common rail systems carry fuel coolers due to the heat generated by a constant high pressure pump which is why you will have a high bypass flow returning to the fuel tank which can sometimes reach 10 L/P. My 530D gets fuel temp to 25C at tick over from cold start in under 4 minutes.
Remove and clean out fuel tank. Blow out fuel lines and replace fuel filter. When you start using Bio in a vehicle which has been running on Derv for some time it will loosen a lot of crud and rust which is in the system and usually the filter will catch this but not always. We had a lot of trouble with a 320D changing filters almost daily. Steaming the tank produced a lot of muck. The fuel lines were almost blocked and took a bit of time to get them cleaned out. At the minute it is running on B80 cold filtered, no cold flow, no problem. The 530 is running on B100 cold filtered with cold flow which is a bit of a pain because you need to heat it to about 40C after cold filtering to add the cold flow.

Sean

posted Hide Post
Its useful to know the cloud point and gel point of your fuel and its an easy test. Fill a 1litre clear plastic drinks bottle with your bio. Tape a K type probe to the side of the bottle and then tape a thick patch of insulation over it. Put the bottle in the freezer and connect a digital thermometer to the probe. The black one supplied with my processors is ideal for this. Every 2 or 3 degrees take the bottle out, wipe off any condensation and look for signs of clouding. Shake the bottle and return it to the freezer. The cloud point is the temp at which the bio becomes cloudy. The gel point is the temp at which it becomes semi solid.
Spare K type probes can be bought in Maplin or on ebay.

www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com
www.polydiesel.webs.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ninja12R:
Zamo I think you have more than a HMPE problem. Most common rail systems carry fuel coolers due to the heat generated by a constant high pressure pump which is why you will have a high bypass flow returning to the fuel tank which can sometimes reach 10 L/P. My 530D gets fuel temp to 25C at tick over from cold start in under 4 minutes.
Remove and clean out fuel tank. Blow out fuel lines and replace fuel filter. When you start using Bio in a vehicle which has been running on Derv for some time it will loosen a lot of crud and rust which is in the system and usually the filter will catch this but not always. We had a lot of trouble with a 320D changing filters almost daily. Steaming the tank produced a lot of muck. The fuel lines were almost blocked and took a bit of time to get them cleaned out. At the minute it is running on B80 cold filtered, no cold flow, no problem. The 530 is running on B100 cold filtered with cold flow which is a bit of a pain because you need to heat it to about 40C after cold filtering to add the cold flow.

Sean

what year is your 320?
is that direct injection common rail?

posted Hide Post
The 320D is 2000 and direct injection. The 530D is common rail

Sean

posted Hide Post

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post