BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Drying biodiesel in a damp climate.
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drying biodiesel in a damp climate.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jock:
Hi all I have been reading with great interest the discussions on drying biodiesel . My own setup
is a GL design twin 205 litre cone bottomed tanks with clamp on lids fed by a 120l/min Pedrollo pump. It works well but I have a concern with the high 90 deg C temps needed to demeth .Previous to converting the system to a GL design the wash tank / dryer tank used a spray bar and circulation, combined with vigorous bubbling with a compressor.This was effective in drying the fuel in about an hour for 180 litre batches. The downside was high energy consumption and the spray bar was messy, mainly due to the power of the pump.I needed to put in a bypass to regulate the flow to the spray bar to reduce the spatter outside the tank when I read about Imake's turbo dryer.I sense that Imake feels that the mark 2 turbo dryer is his preference to the use of two fans provided everything is well sealed.I have several questions.I note that 12v fans are used. I have two 240 v fans with 20cm diameter blades from a large chest freezer would these be O.K.? I would use one not two.James RL on the Vegetable oil diesel forum advocates using a 60l/min air pump using the bubble and settle method. Would this be too powerful in the turbo dryer. I note that Imake increased the capacity of his air pump to good effect.Thank you all for your input and particularly to Imake who is tireless in his imparting of knowledge. I eagerly await comment.

Regards Jock

Hi Jock,

While you are waiting for a reply from Imakebiodiesel to reply to your questions.

You have brought up some important points about spray bars which reminded me of the design considerations for the spray ring.

For anyone making a spray ring you can do what I did:

1. Direct the holes of the spray ring slightly downward to there is no overspray
2. Ensure you build in a bypass circuit which feeds back into the top of the processor and avoids damage to the pump

Later, you might find you can do without the bypass circuit if you drill enough holes in the spray ring.

I have attached a file so you can see this.

You will see from the picture that the right hand circuit is the bypass circuit.

You can appreciate that the more the bypass circuit is opened, the less biodiesel will reach the spray ring.

ImageDryer.JPG (20 Kb, 23 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Hi Jock and welcome I assume you've been reading for a while now.
Most of the experimental discussions now take place on the private threads free from trolls disruptive gibberish.
The drying thread is one of the few pages that has not yet been transferred to a pm but may be soon, if you or any body else reading the threads are not already on the PM list and want to be kept up dated simply let us know by ether saying hi here or by private message.

The pump that jamesrl uses on the .vegetableoildiesel forum would be quite powerful as he uses them for the bubble and settle method where the more ferocious the bubbling the better.
The 240v fan you mention may be to powerful for the turbo dryer lid causing to much of a vacuum which could burn out the fan.
The little 12v pc fan on the turbo dryer is to simply remove the moist air from the head space of the dryer.
Cheers

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jock and Welcome,
I've added you to my buddies list, so when I start a new thead on the PM side, you will be included.

As Trigger said, it seems that most of the technical discussion now takes place on PM.

I'm sure the other guys will also include you, Cheers.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with the fine Irish folks here, there is very little going on in the PM threads in my opinion.
If you want the best help and advice I suggest keeping your questions and testing on the open forum (general biodiesel forum not here in the Irish section where most are not even aware of these discussions) where the rest of the population can see it, reference it and contribute.
I would also recommend not dismissing the good and sound advice given by Tilly whom has been at this game longer than most.
Best of luck!
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be fighting over a bone Jon but the pm threads have been some of the most prolific on the whole forum over the last while,the Ireland section used to be but dwindled due to many feeling the good natured sharing and support disrupted and it became unenjoyable. If anybody reads through the biodiesel in Ireland section you will see how open we are to people debate development and challenge, but the vast majority of us over here have no time for arrogance ego and vindictiveness being imposed, it doesn't really matter what info someone has if they are continuously been a dick about things people won't accept it. This is an enjoyable social learning experience and should remain that way hence why we have started pm threads so it can be just that. I agree with you it should all be out on the main forum and I know it would be if people were enjoying it freely the way they used too.

posted Hide Post
I hear ya womble, I just dont agree. At least with the PM threads I have been invited too, I have not seen anything notably new rather mostly stuff that has been discussed in detail in the past in the open forum, perhaps I am missing something?
I have developed a thick skin over my life due to my life experiences, perhaps that's why I dont really care what others have to say to me, I take it for what its worth and move on.
I have some Irish blood in me (I am a Heinz 57) and the Irish while known for fair skin they are not known to have thin skin, what happened here?
In any event I am not looking to argue one way or the other, just giving my opinion, take it or leave it for what it is.
In my opinion the PM discussions are not productive due to them being closed, besides that they are of zero use to anybody trying to research information and they will never be rejuvenated by a new member with new ideas and knowledge.
I have a great deal of respect for the people and the knowledge in this section and I think its a waste to have the discussions in a closed forum.
All the best,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I deleted every post from Dec 16 3:01pm because it was all personal pointless bickering.
Shaun

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post