BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Drying biodiesel in a damp climate.
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drying biodiesel in a damp climate.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi Breathnach, the diferances are
1)no holes drilled in plywood lid
2)extraction fan is mounted at a slight angle.I used 3" screws on one side,works fine.The reason for this is not to put too much preasure on the fan. In theory this fan is to take air away,not suck it out of processor.Air pump and fan are inside sealed tub as before pre turbo dryer.I can text you pictures if you want

07 fiat scudo 120 multijet b50; 03 1.4 hdi on b100.

Location: Co Wexford,Ireland | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Its the fan in the bottom of the bucket that i have not got in my dryer, all i have at present is the pump inside sealed bucket with lunchbox glued into lid with drying agent in it.

This set up has another PC fan in bucket along with pump blowing into headspace of processor, yes?

On uploading pictures,

First you must resize, easiest option is to use microsoft office picture manager, open picture in this programs & then,

1. Top of screen 'Edit pictures'
2. Right of screen click on last option 'compress pictures'
3. Right of screen again click option 'web pages'
4. Bottom right of screen click OK once it has been made below 50kb
5. If it does not do this first time, save picture & reprocess with same steps.

Next step is to find picture on your PC for uploading to here,

1. Click add attachement on bottom of reply panel when typing message.
2. Click browse button to find picture on your PC
3. Click post & it will add it into the post as long as it is under 50kb

See next post for graphic

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will become a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

ImageResizing2.gif (41 Kb, 255 downloads)

Location: Ireland | Registered: May 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How to find picture & add into post, also, saving as file type GIF image is usually the lowest KB for an image, if you want to change the file type of any image, you can open it in microsoft paint & use the 'Save as' feature which will allow you to save it as a GIF image.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will become a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

ImageBrowse_for_picture.gif (41 Kb, 262 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Holy ssshhugar, my brain is a mess. Check out this site.Photos are on here. www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com.

Location: Co Wexford,Ireland | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did, and only now do i realise my dryer has been assembled all wrong from the beginning (I think)

Looking at the diagram on Johns site of the turbo dryer, i had constructed the entire setup with no fan inside the bucket blowing down, only fan on processor lid blowing out with aquarium pump in bucket sealed with hoses running into processor.

I see the fan inside bucket also blowing down on your pics & re- read the first page on here again, it appears this was in johns original posts at the start of this thread,

quote:
Originally posted by
imakebiodiesel: Both the fan and the air pump can only source air that has been drawn through the bed of silica gel and should be dry

I cant see the images john posted from where i am so built from the diagram on johns site, i will have to modify my dryer this weekend & will also angle the outward blowing fan.

posted Hide Post
Hi Breathnach, was unable to upload pictures.I could send pictures via email if you like. It looks like you have a good idea of the set up anyway.

posted Hide Post
Breathnach- you have the original mk1 dryer.

To clear up any confusion,the first turbo dryer(page 6) had the fan inside the bucket blowing 'dry' air down into the processor.

The new updated version called the mk2 (page 9) has the fan outside the bucket drawing the damp air OUT of the processor.

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breathnach, you have the mk2 version of the turbo dryer with just one fan blowing upwards out of the headspace. Captoe has fitted another fan inside the bucket blowing dry air down into the headspace. He is getting very good results with it and I am going to try that arrangement as soon as I can. Meantime there is no need to modify your dryer as the version you have works well.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK so i have the first dryer, in order to have the most recent design i need to install a downward fan inside housing of bucket with pump.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Breathnach:
OK so i have the first dryer, in order to have the most recent design i need to install a downward fan inside housing of bucket with pump.

Breathnach, leave it alone. You have the mark II.
What Captoe has is the mark II TU (Technical Upgrade).
IMB is going to test this TU on his next batch so I would wait until then as they may do some more tweaking on it.
So don’t worry you have the latest version so far and it works very good.

Eagles may soar but hogs don't get sucked in to jet engines.
BMW 530D B100 VW POLO B100 Ford TW15 B100 Hitachi E60 B100 Ford FM274 B100

Location: Dingle, Co. Kerry | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that. TECHNICAL UPGRADE. Sounds nice ninga12r and you are right.Time will tell.Nice bike by the way , handfull in the wet.

posted Hide Post
I suspect that name is going to stick. I would have tested the TU sooner but my electric jigsaw packed up the day I spoke to Captoe. I use a Jig saw almost every day and Im sick of cheap crap power tools so this time I have bought a Makita professional range model and it should arrive this week.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just to let everyone know that I have dessicant back in stock. I have found that some people have had difficulty regenerating the activated alumina because an ordinary domestic oven will not get hot enough so in future I am going to supply only indicating narrow pore silica gel. It does the job just as well as the alumina and can be regenerated by 2 hours at 140C in any oven. The orange beads give a clear indication of whether the silica gel is ok for use.
1 kg is 17.50 euro including postage to anywhere in Ireland.

posted Hide Post
An experiment that fails is often as valuable as one that succeeds.

A couple of weeks ago someone gave me a small electric dehumidifier that he was throwing out , it was working perfectly. Last week I made a 150 litre batch of biodiesel as usual but decided to try out a different way of drying it. I made a new lid for my processor with four large round holes in it . I placed the dehumidifier on top of the lid and then placed a small plastic barrel over the dehumidifier. I sealed around the joint between the barrel and the lid. That way the dehumidifier was in the same sealed air space as the biodiesel.
I heated the bio up to 60C and then turned on the dehumidifier and also left the circulation pump running at the low setting.
After 16 hours I took a sample and the water reading was 450ppm. Not very good, back to the turbo dryer I thought.
I removed the barrel and took down the dehumidifier and was surprised to see how much liquid it had collected. I measured 1.18 litres. I checked the density of the liquid and it was 0.797, almost pure methanol!

conclusions

A dehumidifier is useless for drying biodiesel but is very effective at removing methanol.

There is quite a bit more methanol in the biodiesel than I thought. Previously I had thought most of the excess methanol was in the glycerol and very little remained in the bio.

When drying the biodiesel with the turbo dryer be aware of how much methanol vapour is being produced. If your work space is not very well ventilated add a ducting to the dryer to remove the vapours.

Perhaps the turbo dryer could be modified to recover the methanol.

posted Hide Post
Interesting-I've not bothered with methanol recovery in the past as its not very cost effective for me but it might be with this method.

Especially if you increase the temperature slightly to to the methanol boil point(about 70)
You could also do it before glycerol is removed and get the methanol from the glycerol too like they do with the GL Processor.

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been recovering methanol for a while now. I recover 5 to 6 litres from a 180lt batch of bio only in a GL type processor. The methanol is 98% pure and gets used in the next batch.

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:

There is quite a bit more methanol in the biodiesel than I thought. Previously I had thought most of the excess methanol was in the glycerol and very little remained in the bio.

When drying the biodiesel with the turbo dryer be aware of how much methanol vapour is being produced. If your work space is not very well ventilated add a ducting to the dryer to remove the vapours.

Perhaps the turbo dryer could be modified to recover the methanol.

yeah, 3-5% v/v is the commonly quoted amount of methanol in our product immediately after glycerin drainage. certainly not a small amount, and worth recovering since it keeps it out of the environment.

condensing methanol in a dehumidifier? kinda scary! i don't think anyone else should be attempting this. can't be too cautious with methanol vapour.

Location: PEI, Canada | Registered: September 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are electrical switches and contacts in a dehumidifier which could cause a spark and lead to an explosion.
Its not my intention to use a dehumidifier to recover methanol but to add a simple air cooled condenser to my existing turbo dryer.
This could be used to demeth the whole batch before settling as in the GL processor or simply dry and demeth the biodiesel after separation.
Ill do a sketch and post it later.

posted Hide Post
Here is the condenser I am considering. The details of the processor and dryer are very sketchy but those of you who have my processor will know the layout. Check out my website if you are not familiar with the IMB150.
The condenser is made from a 2 m length of flexible metal ducting and pvc pipe, both easily available in any builders supplies in Ireland. Its free standing so can be removed when not in use. It can hold 7 or 8 litres of methanol so will not need to be emptied during use.

As well as the fan in the dryer there is a second fan at the end of the duct so that the vapours are both pushed and pulled. These 12v computer fans are quiet, reliable and safe. You could run the second fan from the 12 supply in the dryer but 12v drivers are so cheap its probably easier to hook it up to its own supply.

www.imakebiodiesel.webs.com

posted Hide Post
Several people have contacted me about building a condenser so I thought I would give a bit more details here.
The lower half of the unit is a length of 6" pvc drainage pipe about 30 inches long with the socket on bottom end. Fit a blank cap to the socket and fit a 3/4 tank fitting to the cap. A short piece of 3/4 pipe and a 3/4 lever valve is fitted to the tank fitting.

At the other end fit a 6"x6"x4" tee, A short length of 4" pipe extends to the top of the processor.
Join it with a flexible joint as used in toilet bowls to the duct of the dryer.
A 6" blanking cap is fitted to the tee and a hole made to fit the metal ducting. Aluminium would be better than stainless steel and cheaper. 4" aluminium duct is used for kitchen extractor fans.

Arrange the metal ducting so that it points upwards and out of your workspace although it does not have to be vertical. Fit a piece of plywood in the top end with the fan mounted in a similar way to the dryer .

Pvc pipe fittingshave rubber orings so smear the joints heavily with silicone mastic to prevent the methanol getting at them.

Seal all the seams and joints with mastic.
Make the three legs with 24 inch pieces of flat steel. Bend them slightly about 6" from the end and strap them to the pipe with 2 large hose clips.

To power the computer fan you will need a 12v led driver. These can be bought for about 5 GBP on Ebay.