BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Biodiesel in Ireland
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 146

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel in Ireland
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi Drifter,

I've been lurking here for a few months now, learning what I can about the biodiesel process. I initially came here for the SVO element as that was where I percieved myself heading. I've been running on a new veg-oil/diesel mix for about 10 months. However over the last few months I've been leaning towards making BioDiesel instead. Not sure I'm 100% ready to start making it (have to clear out the shed for a start, altough I do have about 20gals of WVO sitting there) but I'd love to see the process taking place, might give me the kick I need to do it myself. I see from earlier in this thread your in Dublin, whereabouts? I'm in the Blanchardstown area.

Morr

'96 Toyota Hilux Surf on Dino/SVO mix.

[This message was edited by Morr on 27 February 2004 at 03:46 AM.]

Location: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Drifter,
Sorry I haven't responded before now, been up to me tonsils Smile
I'll give ya a bell soon and hopefully get a chance to meet up.
Catch ya later

Morr
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf on Dino/SVO mix.

Location: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drifter:
There seems to be a lack of Irish people making biodiesel on the board.
Is there anyone else out there?
Drifter

Hi Drifter,

Greetings from Kilkenny.

I've been lurking around here and in other b/d forums for the past couple of years and finally started making b/d last June (2003). The chipshop owners are glad to see the muck getting taken away for free and I'm glad to be able to run my transport for a significant amount less than it used to cost.

I've now done about 10,000 miles on b/d - B100 all last summer and B66 during the winter. All trouble free miles.

The only trouble is, I'm building up a backlog of full grease barrels and am generating a surplus of b/d. I think I'll have to start selling some of it off.

Kilkenny, Ireland.
Turk burner workshop heater using chip fat to heat bulk tank and feed house rads.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Dave
Welcome to the board, I knew there was somebody else in Ireland making BD.
I used to go to Kilkenny on business a fair bit, but alas no longer, a nice city with great music and beer.
There is a lot going on,in the background,in Ireland, all driven by the Kyoto Protocol and our requirement to be using 2% biofuel by 2005, what a laugh.
Are you using washed or unwashed BD?

If your ever in Dublin give me a shout, and hope to see more of you on the board
Regards
Drifter

Hi Drifter,

Yeah, Kilkenny's a nice wee town, I quite like it. I'll have to work on getting more folk around here to use b/d and get rid of some of my surplus. Smile

I always wash my b/d, not wanting to take too much of a chance with the expensive injection pump - for all it takes, it makes sense to do it.

The 2% biofuel requirement is a joke - have you seen what the gov't has come up with? Approved biofuel producers with a licence can make it for sale and, get this, have to pay the duty and then reclaim it within five months or forfeit it. Something stinks there - I wonder if the oil companies stuck their oar in.

It would make much more sense to simply register as a fuel producer and pay the duty (if any) on fuel produced in a period. That would encourage small producers to get up and running and the net effect would be closer to the Kyoto requirement in my opinion.

Whatever, the gov't continues to bumble along and seems quite out of touch with the realities of the situation.

As it happens, I was up in Dublin last week, picking up a nice wee diesel Carina - another one for the BioD fleet.

Next time, I'll give you a call. If you're down this way drop me a line at dhenderson@iol.ie

Dave

Kilkenny, Ireland.
Turk burner workshop heater using chip fat to heat bulk tank and feed house rads.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave
Yep, your dead right, the government have an active agenda to discourage small producers.

I did'nt see that about paying the duty and then claiming it back, where did you see it?. The Dept. of Finance is afraid of loosing even 1 cent.

Here's the summary of the Finance Bill 2004...
http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=1907

I stumbled across the full bill in pdf and snagged a copy, but google won't lead me to it again, I can email you a copy if you like with all the gory details.

On re-reading the relevant section, it's pretty much as I recalled; it being entirely up to the Dept whether they will allow us to be let off duty or repay it after we've paid it, and only in a certain time frame at that.
There's mention of only approved pilot schemes, which reads as if they only intend largish (connected cronies) to benefit from it.

In short, it stinks of collusion and a desire to make it as difficult as possible for any small scale maker to get up and running.

quote:

I know a possible source in Kilkenny for your excess BD, I will email you details when I get them firmed up.
Drifter

Good oh.

Kilkenny, Ireland.

posted Hide Post
--------------
Dave
Sorry, missed your post and have had trouble loggin on.
I will see if I can locate a copy of the finance bill, but if not would appreciate a copy.
I will e-mail you some details soon.
Drifter
------------

No worries, mate. Cool

Kilkenny, Ireland.

posted Hide Post
Hi guy's,
came across this page by accident as I did not realise there was an Irish page, I usually log on to biodieselnowforums which has a dedicated Irish page in the European section.

Its a pity there has not been any posting's for quite some time now, maybe we can generate a bit of interest for 2006.

I am just in the process of putting a three stage procesor together 1 preheat tank, 2 reactor tank and 3 wash tank. All are made from copper and connected into my heating system which makes it very handy for getting up to temp.

I was able to source my methanol and noh from Albion chemicals in Dublin. Will post later when I complete my first batch, fingers crossed.

Regards Crazyhorse.

Location: Longford | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Crazyhorse,
First of all good luck form across the Irish Sea!
Just a question though, how much is Methanol over there?
Slàinte
Bri

Location: Bolton, Lancs. /Oxford, UK/ | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings from the people’s republic of cork
Have made a few batches anyone from Ireland log into this forum
Any ideas problems making bio
Let me now
Could be the start of a beautiful relationship lol

If it’s not broken don’t fix it if you do you’ll break it.

The black dog can be beaten

Location: peoples republic of cork ireland | Registered: November 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all,
I am in Western NY State. I will be traveling to Ireland in mid july. It sure would be fun to meet a few biodiesel home brewers while I'm there!
I will be landing in Dublin on July 11, 2006

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

New to the site.

Finally freed up some time to start producing my own bio diesel. Surrounded by chippers only too willing to get rid of it. I will be approaching Albion chemicals shortly to see about getting NOH.

I hope that most of my home heating oil and car diesel will be home brewed from now on..

all the best

someday

Location: Kildare Ireland | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be landing in Dublin Tues 07/11 am from USA. Anyone I might be able to visit during my 10 day stay would be interesting.

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
anyone making biodiesel in ireland,I live near dundalk and have made and used a few batches,approx 1000L.Like to hear from other producers
vino

Location: IRELAND | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi vino i have also been making boi and using it for home heating and have done about 30 thousand kilometer in a skoda superb

If it’s not broken don’t fix it if you do you’ll break it.

The black dog can be beaten

Location: peoples republic of cork ireland | Registered: November 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,
Long time no see. To answer vino, Terry de Winne of Biofuels Northern Ireland has restarted production on a much bigger scale having moved to a larger premises in Carryduff near Belfast. He started off small about six years ago but has now grown the business and is producing fuel to meet EN14214. Still makes my engines run sweetly. You can contact Terry on terry@biofuels.fsnet.co.uk if you want.

Location: N. Ireland | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I am interested in producing biodiesel and want to start by producing 1 ltr batches but I am finding it difficult to source small amounts of methanol (25ltrs). Any help would be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
I initially used www.mistral.ie for low volumes of methanol.(1-5 Ltr).
Used Albion for 200 Ltr drum

posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Im at the early stages of producing Biodeisel. Have done the research and am now wondering whether to manufacture a biodeisel unit myself or just purchase a kit off a company. Any Ideas or suggestions?

posted Hide Post
hi there,

Is anyone interested in contractual production of biodiesel from India . I have a huge availability of soil which is favourable for jathropa cultivation and biodiesel production. I am looking for international buyers to take advantage of the low cost fuel from Asia.

Regards.
Contact me on ketan.jain@hotmail.com

Location: ENgland & India | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Im new to the forum. I make 150 litres of biodiesel every 2 weeks for the last year and a half. I can help any one getting started with methanol supplies.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post