BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Biodiesel in Ireland
Page 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel in Ireland
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tilly:

As we speak I am composing an epic Nordic saga describing how the might biodiesel warrior "Drum" struggled incessantly for years with the evil conversion trolls until they at last gave up their vile secret.

I wouldn't go any further than the Introduction for now! Just in case!

2001 Saab 93 TiD B50
2006 Mercedes C200 CDI (no DPF) B50 (for now)

Location: Stroke County | Registered: July 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Drum.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A consideration about performing the reaction at higher temperatures is how much longer does it take to increase the temperature.
For instance, if it takes about 30 minutes for the reaction to complete at 60C then the reaction time is halved to 15 minutes at 70C, a savings of 15 minutes.
However, it takes time to increase the temperature from 60C to 70C.
If it was in my reactor it would take more than 15 minutes to increase the temp from 60C to 70C so there would be no savings in total time taken.

Of course there may be other reasons for wanting the higher temps such as WBD

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A consideration about performing the reaction at higher temperatures is how much longer does it take to increase the temperature.
For instance, if it takes about 30 minutes for the reaction to complete at 60C then the reaction time is halved to 15 minutes at 70C, a savings of 15 minutes.
However, it takes time to increase the temperature from 60C to 70C.
If it was in my reactor it would take more than 15 minutes to increase the temp from 60C to 70C so there would be no savings in total time taken.

Good point, though if you were setting out to design such a processor you could compensate with more powerful heating, there is no energy cost involved as it takes a fixed amount of energy to heat the contents to a particular temperature. More power means less time for the same energy input. Mind you seriously and safely setting out to go the high pressure route would have, I imagine, significant design and cost implications.

2001 Saab 93 TiD B50

Location: Stroke County | Registered: July 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will cost more to heat the oil to 70C rather than 60C assuming the heating is electric.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will cost more to heat the oil to 70C rather than 60C assuming the heating is electric.

No such thing as a free lunch! I was referring explicitly to the 60 to 70 temperature step in your previous post and the trade off between power and time.

Also as alluded to in my previous post the overall extra energy input in heating to higher temperatures may well pale in significance when set against the cost of assuring the structural integrity of the processor for the associated higher pressures.

I would be inclined to say that going the high pressure route might be something best left alone for the average home brewer.

2001 Saab 93 TiD B50

posted Hide Post
Hi Drum,

quote:
Originally posted by Drum:

Also as alluded to in my previous post the overall extra energy input in heating to higher temperatures may well pale in significance when set against the cost of assuring the structural integrity of the processor for the associated higher pressures.

I would be inclined to say that going the high pressure route might be something best left alone for the average home brewer.
I agree, I can see no significant benefit from pressurizing your reactor.

posted Hide Post
For what ever its worth, I recall that when heat is added to an exothermic reaction it slows down the reaction. When heat is added to an endothermic reaction it speeds up the reaction. The neutralisation reaction of soap making from free fatty acids and caustic or saponification of triglycerides with caustic and water is exothermic. The transesterification reaction is probably faster with increased temperature, so it may be endothermic. Doing a reaction at 6-10 degrees increased temperature and increased pressure may increase the formation of biodiesel while slowing the formation of soaps. At least for larger quantity reactions there should be an advantage to increased temperature and correlated increased pressure.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened to all the guys here??they've all legged it.
I'm reading back through the pages and it reads like they have been over run by Internet trolls and got get up and left.
Don't you guys have any moderators here to deal with that sort of thing?
maybe not as I never did get a reply from them.
It was a lecturer and a few of the post graduates at uni that had told me about the pages -they've been using a few of the topics invented here for some of their thesis for the past few years.
I was really hoping to ask some of em guys a few questions but they're all gone, I came across a email for the imakebiodiesel fella so he might be kind enough to answer a few emails Instead and give me contact details for the others.
Did they move to another forum maybe?
Shame shame shame

Location: uk | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello here revising,
I am one of those guys that used to be very active on here.

You are correct in your assumption that Troll activities have caused many valued members to stop posting on here.

Imakebiodiesel now has other interests so doesn't have the time to post on here as he used to.

Some of the Irish guys now post on the UK VOD forum, where indeed I also am very active. You would be very welcome to join us on there.

As you remark it is a great shame what has happened on here.
Thanks, Dave.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are correct in your assumption that Troll activities have caused many valued members to stop posting on here.

More like a lack of intestinal fortitude and a problem of taking things personally, instead of just taking things as they are.
At least that's my opinion.
If you have questions HR than you would be wise to ask them in the main forum as they will get very little views in this section.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

If there is anyone using this page any more and in the Carlow/Wicklow area that wants an oil supply from 2 chinese takeaways let me know.

One of them gives me 120-150L a month and the other 60-80L a month.

Let me know if you want their details.

I am not making any fuel at the moment and have a few hundred litres there so no room for any more.

Cheer

Glyncell

Location: Meath | Registered: September 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi Folks, I am in need of some glycerol. I'm in Co.Galway. If there's anybody within 40-50 miles of me with 30litres or more of glycerol, pls PM me, or call 087 2244034. Thanks very much!

2001 Citroen Xsara
2002 VW T4 Transporter
on B100

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: December 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glyncell:
Hi Guys,

If there is anyone using this page any more and in the Carlow/Wicklow area that wants an oil supply from 2 chinese takeaways let me know.

One of them gives me 120-150L a month and the other 60-80L a month.

Let me know if you want their details.

I am not making any fuel at the moment and have a few hundred litres there so no room for any more.

Cheer

Glyncell

i'd be very interested
i sent you PM with my phone number

posted Hide Post
Hi Guys. after a long time. here is a question. I have 25litres dark stuff. How do I test if its glycerol or just dark oil? I seemed to have mixed up the drums.

Glycerol is heavier that water I believe is that correct?

Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Sleeman:
Hi Guys. after a long time. here is a question. I have 25litres dark stuff. How do I test if its glycerol or just dark oil? I seemed to have mixed up the drums.

Glycerol is heavier that water I believe is that correct?

It is. If you have ex-process glycerol I am surprised you can't tell by the smell. In any event glycerol and methanol are completely miscible with water so take a small sample, mix with water and you will be in no doubt which it is.

2001 Saab 93 TiD B50

posted Hide Post
Hi Drum. Ok Thanks. I have no sense of smell so that's out.

SWam

Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi guys, I know this section is all but dead now but on the off chance some if the Irish guys still pop in now and again, I was wondering if anyone finds themselves with surplus oil? The last place I was collecting oil from has closed down and I'm struggling a bit.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi Dean. I'm still watching this space from South Africa. But have no oil. Regards Sam

posted Hide Post
Hi Sam, it's such a shame the way things went here and all because of one guy. It was a great little group and I do miss it.

Dean

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post