BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Free water content test for biodiesel brewers in Ireland.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free water content test for biodiesel brewers in Ireland.
 Login/Join

posted
Over the last 6 months I have developed a test procedure which accurately determines the water content of biodiesel or any other fuel. If you are interested in the test and want to assemble one yourself it can be found in the Biodiesel quality section of this forum under " A simple test for water in fuel" or search under Carbide Manometer.
I realize that not everyone has the time or inclination to assemble an Carbide Manometer so I have decided to offer a free water testing service. Any one who wants to find out the water content of their biodiesel should post me a 150ml sample in a small drinks bottle labelled with their mobile phone number.( I dont need your name or address) I will test and send them the result by text. If you send more than one sample label them A, B, C etc. My address is the Railway Station, Lismore, County Waterford, Ireland.
Water content is an important issue especially as we approach the winter season. The reccomended limit for water content in biodiesel is 500 parts per million and if your fuel contains more than that amount it may cause damage to your engine in the medium to long term.
This servive is only offered to home brewers, no commercial producers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakebiodiesel,

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel demonstration this Saturday 26th September at 9.30 am. I will be making 150 litres of biodiesel. The carbide manometer and other quality tests will be demonstrated and my wvo central heating boiler will be on show. All are welcome, no charge, over by 12 noon. Phone 0863169230 if you need directions

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HELLO

I usally test my dry biodiesel by putting a small sample in a tin can and heating it to 120 degrees(something similar to the suspended water test) and if it does not make any sounds(slutters) I consider it dry.

but now I am wondering ...would my test not be able to pick up a water content of 500 parts per million

any coments welcome
Thanks

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that you wont detect any sputtering below 2000 ppm so your fuel could still be off spec. Send me two samples, one before drying and one after and Ill test them for you.

posted Hide Post
ok thanks will do

your Carbide Manometer has come a long way from 'holding up a sample of biodiesel in a jam jar and looking throught it to see if it's sparkley clear' or sticking a sample into the fridge overnight to see if it becomes hazy. which is how most of us test the dryness of our biodiesel !

I've just been reading the 'simple test for water in fuel'forum with intrest, good job !

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The clarity test. holding up a jar of bio to the light, can be very misleading because if the fuel is warm it will appear clear even if it still contains water.
The fridge test is better but the haziness you might see at 5 degrees might be water but it might also be the beginning of gelling. The type of oil used as feedstock will affect the outcome of the test.
Both these tests are more useful once you know exactly how much water is present in a sample. You then have a baseline to judge from.

posted Hide Post
quote:

As many of you know I have been offering a free testing service for the last year or so, testing for both conversion ratio and water content. Many of you have availed of the tests, so many, in fact that it has begun to interfere with my day job.
So Im going to have to make a small charge for tests in future, the good new is that I have added a third test to the set.

Conversion Test, measured in percentage points,
Soap titration, measured in parts per million (ppm)
Water content, measured in parts per million (ppm)

Just post me a 300ml sample in a well wrapped plastic soft drinks bottle and enclose a cheque or postal order for 20 euro ( or 17 GBP) and your email address. I will send you the results within 24 hours of receipt.
I think this price is fair as it takes me nearly an hour to carry out the three tests, and to have fuel tested for astm or din14014 standards by a lab costs at least 500 euro. The service remains free to all my customers who have bought processors from me.

John ONeill
The Railway Station
Lismore
Co. Waterford
Ireland.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakebiodiesel,

posted Hide Post
Home brew biodiesel has certainly taken off in the last year. With rising fuel prices more and more people are looking at alternatives. I am presently spending between 5 and 6 hours a week testing samples sent to me and sometimes having to work in the evenings to finish processors on time. In the interests of familial peace I am going to have to cut back a bit on work.

In future I can no longer accept test samples for analysis except from customers who have purchased processors from me. For them the free service continues as before.

My apologies to all of you who have been using my service and I hope you dont find this too inconvenient. If any of you want to set up your own tests for conversion, water and soap I would be happy to help and advise.

posted Hide Post
The law is an ass, no doubt. This particular law was introduced to prevent large scale dumping of waste and has probably worked to regulate the big companies. The problem is that the big companies only collect 60% of the waste veg oil in Ireland. The other 40% is still unregulated and people like us have to operate in a grey legal area. I think its always better to be forarmed with a knowledge of the law in case of trouble.

riham

posted Hide Post
You are right about that riham, I rescued 80 litres of waste veg oil out of a builders skip in Cork city a couple of weeks ago, so much for tight regulation.