BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Methanol in Ireland??
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methanol in Ireland??
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ok, what I reckon is if people give them a ring and inquire as its a bit of a chicken and an egg scenario, where they don't want to lay out for insurance if they don't have the business to cover it. As convincing and thrust worthy as I am Smile saying that it would be worth their while, if other people started calling it would give them an indication of the market open to them Their number is 0044 1274 308704 John or James is who you need to talk with.

I have just borrowed 60l of methanol to get me thr ough the next couple of weeks but I'm in need of getting some very soon and have been thinking of just getting it delivered up north and going to pick it up but its a lot of hassle.

posted Hide Post
Womble-So it's just an insurance issue that's holding them back from shipping to the south? but they'll ship to the north ok?
I wonder why they don't try other transport companies, who ships Trinitys chemicals to the south for instance?

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ye they will ship to the north no problem but the south falls into a different insurance bracket and the responsibility falls on the shipper not the haulage company. They can get the insurance easy enough but its the additional cost that they don't want to lay out for as they don't know if there is business enough to make it back. Hence if people give a call they will find out directly if there is or not.

Oh and they are using the same shipping company as they couldn't find one so I set them up with the company that delivered to me before.

posted Hide Post
im in need of chemicals in the next week possibly two(the latest)
i was in touch with trinity and i got a very good deal
your man there took some offence when i told him about their methanol not being virgin and that it was mentioned here earlier,... any way can i trust them?

i got quoted
ibc £365
1 koh £40
5L hiberna pro £60
shipping £105

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't , but I got burned really badly by them.

posted Hide Post
When the rep from Trinity took offence did he actually say "Our methanol is virgin". When I asked them the same question a couple of months ago they said "Of course, its 99.9% pure methanol." This actually meant it was not virgin but 99.9% total solvent recovered methanol.
Give Spen valley guys a call and see if they will ship to you at a sensible price. Dgs has used their methanol and found it to be very high quality.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi imakebiodiesel,

quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:
When the rep from Trinity took offence did he actually say "Our methanol is virgin". When I asked them the same question a couple of months ago they said "Of course, its 99.9% pure methanol." This actually meant it was not virgin but 99.9% total solvent recovered methanol.
I will admit that I am not an expert in interpreting Irish English. However, if a person told me his Methanol was 99.9% pure methanol I would immediately think that 99.9% of the contents of the drum was methanol.
You are saying that 99.9% methanol does not mean that 99.9% of the contents of the drum is methanol.
You people seem to speak a confusing form of English.

I had a look at the Trinity website and found a photo similar to this listed under "Methanol UDM 99.97%+ 25L - Trinity Research"

You can see it says it is "Virgin methanol"

Then further down they listed "205 litre UDM Methanol (High grade Methanol) 99.97%" £84

You can just make out the word virgin on the label.

If the contents of these drums is not 99.97% methanol, what percentage of methanol is in the drum?
What is the contaminant in the drum?

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zamo , virgin methanol will be labelled VIRGIN with a percentage purity somewhere above 98%. IF the drums you buy are not actually labelled VIRGIN then they are not virgin. Suppliers attempt to fudge the issue by calling recovered methanol by various names. They may show pictures of drums marked virgin on their websites while supplying recovered. They often quote 99.99%TS an an indication of high quality. TS means total solvent and this could contain 10% or more acetone. A clue is the smell, a strong smell of nail varnish remover is a bad sign.
The problem is that you dont know what is going to be delivered until its sitting in your yard. You have to be able trust the company you order from.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've still got one drum of methanol left from Trinity and it seemed fine.
It actually came in blue plastic drums not the metal type that I was used to with brenttag
It also had a sticker on the side which I think said 98% (will have to check now when I get home)
But although mine was ok, listening to some of the other members is does seem a bit of a gamble with Trinity.
So I'll keep spen valley in mind for next time.

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been talking to a lot of different companies and people in England trying to find a source of virgin methanol in the last few months. After saying I had had problems in the past with reclaimed methanol and with out my disclosing the name of who I bought it from, time and time again I was asked was it trinity I had bought from. I heard from several businesses who are delighted they're at it as they have gained a load of business from people who got burned by them. I heard from more than one source that they are distilling it themselves on their farm and not buying it in as they claim. Upon being asked the other day why I bought from them in the first place I said they have a good name over here, the person broke their sides laughing saying nobody in the industry over their would go near them with a barge pole.

This is all second had info that I'm sharing but it came back to me many many times from unconnected sources. I have got usable methanol from them in the past but got stung with bad reclaimed methanol when I had ordered virgin this year with now come back.

If they are distilling it themselves this would make sense as to why problems present them selves sporadically rather than whole batches being contaminated, it could just be the heads and the tails of the run that's drawing over other things from what ever they are reclaiming it from.

Weigh up the odds and make an informed decision as to whether the gamble is worth it or not.

posted Hide Post
message deleted due to personal attack.

The Trouts

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Trouts,

posted Hide Post
Zamo, while I understand your irritation at some of the childish contributions to the forum, rising to the bait achieves nothing in the end. I too have heard accounts of patchy quality from Trinity and would urge caution when dealing with them. On another subject you mentioned that you were interested in doing some processing of fats by fractional crystallization. Now that the daily temperatures have fallen I will be restarting my work in this area. Give me a call and we can discuss it.

posted Hide Post
I ordered an IBC of virgin from trinity today. It was cheap at £367 including VAT,delivery and the free IBC.
So here is hoping it's ok, I will be out with the KF when it arrives!

Nothing wrong with my previous supplier but this is slightly cheaper and I don't have to travel a round journey of 100 miles to pick it up.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i got my methanol delivered from trinity on saturday and i can confirm that its the good stuff!! i was so so uncertain about this but the price was amazing in comparison to charles tennant and after doing 30/270 test with both my old and new methanol i can say that they did return the same result.
Thanks trinity shame i couldn't get the ibc, only because i have to move shed and relocate.

posted Hide Post
Good to hear it went well Zamo.
I suggested this test to Zamo. Recovered methanol does not produce a proper result when used for the 30/270 test. So if you test a sample of biodiesel with some virgin methanol and then repeat the test with the new methanol the result should be identical.
If its not then your new methanol may well be recovered.

posted Hide Post
Trinity have been a bit hit and miss but I've always been lucky.
Ive still got a drum of my trinity methanol from last year and it seemed fine too.

posted Hide Post
Hi Zamo glad its all working out for you!

quote:
I suggested this test to Zamo. Recovered methanol does not produce a proper result when used for the 30/270 test. So if you test a sample of biodiesel with some virgin methanol and then repeat the test with the new methanol the result should be identical.
If its not then your new methanol may well be recovered.

Thats not always the case IMB, here are some tests I did at the beginning of the year and you can see the methanol I couldnt used surprised me and gave a clear result ...

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...797057873#8797057873

posted Hide Post
I stand corrected Womble, sorry about that, I suppose we will have to wait to see how Zamo gets on with his first batch.

posted Hide Post
With a little bit of luck everything will be fine for you Zamo, just wanted to point out that that test doesn't guarantee the purity of the methanol Imb not trying to be a downer. As you say proof is in the pudding, fingers crossed its all good!

posted Hide Post
Hi imakebiodiesel,

quote:
I suggested this test to Zamo.
Thank you for clearing that up.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post