BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Ireland Biodiesel    Methanol in Ireland??
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methanol in Ireland??
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
A little bit of pressure might build up in an ibc in hot weather but it wont do any harm. Longer term ibcs exposed to bright sunlight will become brittle and could crack. Covering it with a tarpaulin will help with both problems.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is quite busy and the list of suppliers had got buried somewhere back around pg 6. So I thought I would up date it here.

Here is a list of the current suppliers of methanol and KOH. If anyone knows any others please add them here.
Charles Tennant and Co.
Dublin 014514099

Brentagg
Dublin 01 4013500
Belfast 028 90787450

Carbon Group
Cork 021 4378988

Bio cel
Cork 021 4353516

Mistral.
Antrim 028 94465753

Trinity Research.
UK 01925 594083

Soltec Ltd.
Mullingar 044 9335133

Bear in mind that the price offered by these companies varies widely and it is worth shopping around. Check that the price includes carriage or if the goods can be collected. Some companies charge a fee for the container other dont.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trigger has expressed some reservations about the reclaimed methanol from Soltec. He is going to send me a sample so I can carry out some tests on it. I can check its specific gravity very accurately and I will do 2 identical one litre batches, first with reclaimed meth and second with virgin meth. Ill then test them for conversion.
If you are thinking of ordering 1000 litres from them I would hold off for a week or so.

posted Hide Post
The litre of methanol is on its way to Lismore,It'll be interesting to see what you make of it.

Here's something that's handy specific gravity of liquids table & unit converter

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had a bit of hassle finding a hydrometer to suit.
Stevensons in Edinburgh do a few but are expensive,about £20 and about the same for price for postage.
rs/radionics do one that seems to range from .800 to 1.00 but still seems a bit high for methanol (.791)

Location: County down, Northern Ireland | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you who use silica gel in your dryer or drywash systems, zooplus.ie is doing a very good deal. 45 litres (9 bags) for just under 30euros, including vat and delivered to your door. Look for Tigerino cat litter crystals ( unscented)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:
I have some sodium hydroxide for sale. Ive just gone over to using potassium hydroxide so have 20 odd kilos of NaOH that Im not going to use, I paid 1 euro 30 cents per kilo so if anybody is interested I can let you have it for a bit less, say 1 euro a kilo.

Hallo,
I am living in Ring (Dungarvan) and very intersted in Bio-Diesel. I want to buy for testing the chemicals and looking also for a processor. Lismore is not far away, so may be you could give me some
advice. I think you have sometimes a kind of " open day" . please let me know.

Kind regards

Thomas H. Kempe
Ring
Co. Waterford

tkempe@technoelectronic.com
086 8606709

posted Hide Post
hello thomasdublin,
I am going to be around on saturday morning, if you like call up to see me. My mobile number is 0863169230.

posted Hide Post
I got the litre of Soltec methanol from Trigger yesterday. Im going to do 2 identical 1 litre batches, the first with virgin methanol and the second with soltec's. Ill test them both for conversion and we will see if there is any difference.

posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the results!

Location: Clare, Ireland | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bet you there is !
Im convinced its not right Im just interested to know what its contaminated with.
spoke to another producer this morning who said he had the same problems

would you be able to test its weight(specific gravity) or water content before making your 1 litre batch ?

posted Hide Post
The specific gravity is .815. This is about right for 98% methanol IF the other 2% is water(SG .100) which is heavier than than methanol. But if the methanol contained some toluene(SG .670) which is lighter than methanol, it could contain a lot more water and still weigh .815. I suspect this is the case because I can smell that aromatic smell.
I did the first test today with my own virgin oil. Ill do the second part tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
Correction to the last post. If the other liquid in this soltec sample is water then a SG of .815 means there is 10% water! not 2%. If there is any toluene or xylene present then there would have to be more than 10% water present. This would certainly explain any failed batches.
The reaction between water and KOH is exothermic, that is it produces heat. So if I mix 10 grams of KOH and 200ml of methanol there will be a temperature increase because of the water content. The more water present the higher the temperature. Ill try this next.

posted Hide Post
I remember weighing a litre and it was about 820g which tallys up with your s.g.
The exothermic thing is intresting....I know when caustic soda is mixed with water it becomes very hot.
So more water content means a higher temperature when mixed with caustic.

Are you going to measure the temperature of your own methanol first then try the same thing with the soltec sample to see if there is an increase of temperature? more water more increase of temperature?

posted Hide Post
Yes thats the idea. I have some 3A molecular sieve which can remove water totally from methanol. So if this batch with the soltech methanol does fail I can try again with the same methanol treated with molecular sieve.

posted Hide Post
I've just mixed 200 ml of (20 degrees) Soltec methanol with 10 grams of KoH and it produced a temperature of 38 degrees.
An increase of 18 degrees.

posted Hide Post
but wouldn't it just be easier to use the carbide manometer to find the water content ?

Just thinking,the higher the temp the more water it contains but can you work out the percentage of water in the methanol by the increase of temperature.
for example every degree of temperature is equivalent to a mill of water ?

posted Hide Post
Im not sure that you would be able to calculate the amount of water in the sample from the heat generated, too many variables. The carbide manometer would work if we had a ball park figure of the water percentage. If methanol has 2% water it would read 20,000ppm, way outside the range of our manometer.
If we weigh out 10grams of methanol with 90 grams of a completely dry liquid (white spirit) then a reading of 2000ppm on the manometer would mean an actual level of 20,000ppm or 2%.
If we suspected that there was 10% water we would have to weigh out 2 grams of methanol to 98 grams of a dry liquid for 2000ppm reading to equal 100,000ppm or 10%.
Weighing out 2 grams accurately is difficult and may not produce a very accurate reading.

posted Hide Post
when I first got this methanol I tried to boil off a litre of meth at 70 degrees to see if the meth would boil off and leave behind any water but it didn't work as it all evaporated .

posted Hide Post
So I finished the 1 litre batches and both converted very well. On the 30/270 test there was almost complete conversion and very little difference in the tiny amount of dropout.

The temperature difference was very slight when I mixed 10gms of KOH with 20 ml of Methanol at 15C. The virgin was 28 and the soltec was 30 so that does not help us.

I will have to try to recalibrate the carbide manometer to get an idea of the water content. I looked around my workshop for a fuel that would have zero water to save me drying some biodiesel.

I had a couple of gallons of petrol and decided to test it with the manometer. I was horrified when the water column began to shoot up rapidly and in fact only stopped the water shooting out the top of the tube by opening the jar.
The petrol, bought recently from a filling station and stored in a sealed container was laden with water.
I think we should be aware of this. By adding petrol to biodiesel to help with cold weather performance we may be adding water which could damage the injectors and the injector pump.

My manometer measures a maximum of 3000ppm but the petrol sample looked like it was going to keep rising way beyond that point.