BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Ford    Diesel particulate filters and biodiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diesel particulate filters and biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
I have heard that diesel particulate filters can create a problem with diesel engines that utilize post-injection to help keep diesel particulate filters cleaner (vice injection into the exhaust).

I have a 2006 Ford F-250 6L that has been running B100 for over 14 months now. No problems, but I don't know if it will have problems down the road with the fuel. Apparently diesel particulate filters using post-injection can cause the fuel to leak down into the engine oil, increasing volume and causing a lot of issues with mileage, performance, etc...

I do not want to get on board with the DPF delete kits - not to mention they're illegal. Has anyone had problems with their DPFs and biodiesel?

Location: Joshua Tree, CA | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a LONG thread discussing all the nuances of this topic.

Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel

Check it out; very good info there.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you positive your 06 has a DPF?

Typically they were not introduced until the 07 model year. CA models could have been mandated early I guess.

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen an 06 with a DPF.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a dpf consider yourself lucky!

The automakers decided on the first CR engines that using software to inject raw fuel in the exhaust stroke thru the turbo and into the dpf was cheaper (ie via software) than installing an injector post-turbo in the exhaust stream like the big hwy trucks (CAT, International, etc). So by saving $10 they made a lot of headache for us biodiesel makers.

The only remedy is to replace the dpf with a pipe, tune out regen and sensors with tuning and eliminate the problem.

Don't forget to pull out the egr as well. Big failures on 6.0 with egr coolers failing causing hydrolock and bent rods, etc. APR head studs, etc. Lots of fixes.

I look at it as sure... the dpf makes for one heck of a clean exhaust but you're still supporting OPEC/terrorists. B100 runs pretty clean, but with no dpf your mpg will go up 25% so your yearly CO2 output will drop a lot. So get 13mpg on dino and tons of CO2 or 19mpg on B100 without dpf.

EGR is contentious as well... injecting fine carbon particles into your engine (ie abrasives)... what brainy person came up with that one. I guess they don't care as long as it doesn't blow up before the warranty is up!

EGR is a real pain for the MK4 VW TDI's coking up the entire intake manifold. I've cleaned one out before. Messy. Hot dry EGR mixed with moist cool crankcase gases = coke.

Over 15000L of B100 produced. Burns in 01' F250 7.3L, 06' Jetta TDI, 02' Jetta TDI. Biopro190 owner since Oct2014.

Location: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
EGR is a real pain for the MK4 VW TDI's coking up the entire intake manifold. I've cleaned one out before. Messy. Hot dry EGR mixed with moist cool crankcase gases = coke.

Agreed. I got a heavy discount on my 2000 Jetta because the intake was dang near coked shut; from a designed pop can diameter to a diameter of a quarter! I spent the better part of an hour chipping, scraping, dissolving, and burning that crap out of the intake! Blocked off the EGR outlet and have run it that way ever since, be d@mn to the engine code it throws!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You have to be careful with the cleaning especially if you don't remove the intake manifold to scrape it all out of the intake without dropping anything into the motor. If a large piece breaks off it can bend valves, etc. The one I cleaned out had a hole the size of a dime!! It had zero power, barely got up to 30mph. LOL

Buddy of mine is VAG mechanic so he pulled it off. We left it soaking in solvent overnight. Then took a 3000psi pressure washer to all orifices in the manifold. Messy job, where rain gear! With VAG-COM software you can go in and reduce the EGR flow to absolute minimums but just enough not to set the check engine light.

Look here for provent: http://cdn.applicationassociat...om/1268249421_67.pdf crankcase gas oil/air separator. We installed a 150 model (I believe) on the Mk4. You can drain it out the bottom every 6 months or so. It has a special fine screen inside that captures the oil out of the engine vapour. Combining this filter with the VAG-COM flow reduction is the key.

Over 15000L of B100 produced. Burns in 01' F250 7.3L, 06' Jetta TDI, 02' Jetta TDI. Biopro190 owner since Oct2014.

Location: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Powerstoke = no DPF

Location: NJ | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how the motor industries will take to the new law being bandied about in South Africa that requires B95 to be made compulsory, from memory, I think late 2014. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops! my bad should be B5. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post