BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Ford    Fuel pressure, Fuel GPH 7.3 Idi

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel pressure, Fuel GPH 7.3 Idi
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone have any idea what the fuel flow rate should be on a 1994 idi 7.3... Need to choose a secondary fuel pump and filter for svo. What GPH should I look for? Should the Fuel filter be rated for the same GPH as the pump?

Doug
7.3 soon to run svo

posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have any idea what the fuel flow rate should be on a 1994 idi 7.3

hi, i have a 91 with a 7.3 IDI did you ever get your answer?

80's NA VWs & NA and turbo Benzes, '91 E350 7.3 IDI NA
various bicycles with trailers and gearing low enough to ride up a cliff ;-)

Location: Pacific Southwest, USA | Registered: April 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never did get a response, however I have checked out what other pumps people are using and it seems that 50 GPH is doable. I am sorry to have such un-technical advise.

Doug

posted Hide Post
I use a Holley red pump with no trouble at all on my single tank blend setup. I've found a lot of guys over at www.thedieselstop.com have switched to the holley pumps, even those running straight diesel. I don't know the GPH but I can tell you that it never starves for fuel as indicated by my vacuum/pressure gauge.

1986 F350 Crew Cab 2wd SRW, Granny low T-19, 6.9 diesel. Banks sidewinder turbo and chopped Peterbilt 8" stack coming soon. Also waiting on my Advance Adapters Ranger III overdrive unit. Running various WMO blends.

Location: Akron, Ohio | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to this Electric Fuel Pump Discussion, the stock '93 mechanical fuel pump (should be the same 89-94) is:

Maximum Free Flow Rate (gph): 30
Maximum Pressure Range (psi): 5.75
Minimum Free Flow Rate (gph): 30
Minimum Pressure Range (psi): 4.5

Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I have since switched to a replacement pump for a Hummer H1 after having trouble with the Holley pumps. One was old and it just wore out, I got a second one as a quick fix and it lasted 3 months on heavy WVO blends. I put the Hummer pump in there and it's been working great. I needed some special fittings to plumb it in though. I like it because it's originally a diesel lift pump.

1986 F350 Crew Cab 2wd SRW, Granny low T-19, 6.9 diesel. Banks sidewinder turbo and chopped Peterbilt 8" stack coming soon. Also waiting on my Advance Adapters Ranger III overdrive unit. Running various WMO blends.

Location: Akron, Ohio | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Always monitor IP inlet pressure and never let it go below 4 psi . Starving a Stanadyne DB2 IP will kill it fast . The best electric lift pumps for WVO so far are the FASS and Raptor models.

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php

posted Hide Post
I know this thread is a little old but I really need some help converting my 94 ford f350 7.3 idi N/A

My ford from the tank to the injectors is as follows: Coolant heated fuel pick-up > TIH coolant heated fuel line > 12v heated fuel sedimenter > 12v heated fuel filter > Coolant Heat exchanger > Supply valve (removed origonal 6 port and replaced with two 3-way [one for supply, one for return], also allowing me to reduce purge times by moving switchover closer to lift pump), from the return valve I am looping the veggie line back into the supply before the filter). Also i've added a pressure guage and temp sensor in the supply line as well as a temp sensor on the coolant line. to help with when to switch over and when purging is complete. I have dual tanks in the ford so I created a whole new fuel system from the veggie, leaving the stock filter only for diesel.

Upon starting the actual conversion and reading your posts, I realized I was not going to be able to reroute the stock filter and utilize the stock lift pump.

I have decided to leave the stock system alone and install a fass 95 gph fuel pump to pull the veggie. My question is can I mount this pump under the hood? or will i need to mount on the rail? As i know it is hard for a pump to pull vs. push fuel. My fuel filter has a priming pump on it that cant be mounted on the pressure side. So if i mount the pump on the rail by the tank I will need to mount the sedimentor and filter back there too.

Also I will need to add a 3rd valve to port the return fuel from the stock lift pump to the return line so i do not deadhead the lift pump or blow out an o-ring in the stock filter, when i switch on the fass fuel pump and switch the supply valve to veg.

Any thoughts / comments / suggestions?

Lastly, can I utilitze the stock switch in your truck (Im assuming you had dual tanks) I would like to do so for the supply valve so that I can still utilize the dash fuel gauge sending units in each tank, which are linked to the stock switch. Then adding a second switch for the return valve.

Thanks so much! I've been working on this design for like 6 months and am so close! Then i encountered to stock filter lift pump issue...
Any help would be great!!!