BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Ford    2001 7.3 Turbo install question

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 7.3 Turbo install question
 Login/Join

posted
Question:

I just installed an aftermarket turbo--bolt in new turbo, not a rebuild. When installing, it instructed me to pre oil the bearings by turning the thing upside down and filling the oil inlet with oil and spin the turbo. I then installed the turbo on the pedestal. Per instructions, I let the thing idle for 5 minutes before giving it any gas.

Half a mile from my house, the turbo seized tighter than a drum.

The manufacturer is sending me a new turbo under warranty--I am just wondering if this was an out of the box failure, or did I miss something that I needed to do to prep the new turbo for install?

I was replacing the turbo after it was run with an improperly installed filter for 4kmiles and the tips of the impeller were chipped away. In retrospect, I should have just installed a new wheel on the old turbo. Crap.

any experience appreciated.

2001 Excursion
Stock diesel tank, plus 55 aux WVO tanks from Northern tool. HIH to Raw Power pump (stock pump plumbed parallel as a backup). 30 plate FPHE, 203* tstat, heated canister filter, Thermometer controlled Vegetherm mega in case I ever want to visit Alaska and need a bit of a boost. Mechanical selector and loop valves plumbed into floor left of drivers seat. 249k miles--75k on biodiesel/WVO.

Location: Florida | Registered: May 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post