BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Ford    Ford Ranger 2.2 L Diesel Mini PU Truck

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ranger 2.2 L Diesel Mini PU Truck
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
This is my 1st post.
I live in rural Ontario in Canada
I am cosidering buying a 1984 Ford Ranger mini PU truck, good condition with 240k and a five speed manual transmission, to economize for retirement.
Has anyone done a WVO conversion for this engine?
What is the consensus on doing this conversion? Any known problems with fuel pump on this engine?

Thanks,

Location: Dundas, Ontario | Registered: August 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is also my first post!

I have an 84 ranger 2.2l diesel with 360,000 miles on it, i am also interested in the WVO idea

posted Hide Post
If your Ranger engine is NOT the later 2.3 turbo version, then it's almost certainly the 2.2 Mazda diesel, which I've been driving on 100% biodiesel and SVO for 50,000 miles. It's a pretty nice engine and has worked well for me on SVO. See here for more (old) information. I'm happy to share my conversion ideas if you have questions that aren't already addressed there.
There's also a Mazda diesel list here. The Ford Ranger was sold down here as both the Mazda B2200 and the Courier until '84. The diesel version under the Ranger title doesn't seem to have made it this side of the border, except as rare grey market vehicles. None of them are common, and engine parts are hard to find.

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.
Yes the engine is a 2.2L pekins diesel.
So you have 350K on yours and use VSO without any injector pump problems; do you think this holds for WVO also?
Spare parts with a twenty year old engine will be a problem, any other cross reference avaliable?
Do you know if the injector pump has a viton seal rebuild kit avaliable?
Thanks again,

Location: Dundas, Ontario | Registered: August 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking at an 84 Ranger Diesel myself. New Top end and rings would be in the works asap if I decide to P/U the truck. Can you give me a heads up on what I could expect for fuel economy with a four speed manual transmission? Any tips on how to get any more power out of these engines? I will continue reading... Great site!! Any info would be appreciated...
What a great little motor!! 160k on it. Had some bad fuel in it but now it runs very smooth. What should I be getting for mileage??
35-38 sounds great at those speeds. I do have the four speed in mine. damn this truck is turning into a money pit production to do in this province. The inspector is making me replace well... pretty much every brake part whether it works great or not. starter was pooched. most places wated around 400 for a replacement if they could find one. Parry Automotive in orillia found one for 214 for me. Phew... just another 500 dollars worth of stuff and I will have it certified.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuckinontario,

posted Hide Post
i have a 1983 sold in the u.s. as a ford ranger.
with the mazda build perkins 2.2 diesel.
the proboard site has cross a cross reference #'s method for buying perkins parts.
most 83-84 ford rangers came with 4 speeds, they were available with a 5 speed.
in 85 they used a mistubishi engine and transmission.

i average 35-38 on the highway 55-65 mph
25-27 loaded with loaded trailer, 6k lbs.

Location: southcoast ranges of Oregun, the Pacific Wonderland | Registered: August 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Anyone know how hard it would be to put one of these engines and trans into an old (63) mercury comet. The engine is the same as the falcon, currently has a 170 CI (2.7L I think) inline 6 in it with a 2 speed auto. My prefference would be a 4 speed auto if it existed. She is a convertible, and in pretty nice shape, but I don't really like burning gas anymore.

Andrew

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you might concider importing the 2.8 turbo diesel ranger/range rover engine from brazil with a auto or manual trans.
plan on installing heavier duty springs. the ones for a v-8 would work..

Location: southcoast ranges of Oregun, the Pacific Wonderland | Registered: August 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

25-27 loaded with loaded trailer, 6k lbs.
OK That sounds great. Will I be able to tow my Monte Carlo 4400kms? Curb wieght is 1570 kgs 3500 Lbs plus about 500 lbs of tools and such plus myself and the better half in the truck. I was going to fly back and p/u the car in the fall but if I can tow the car without wrecking anything I will do. What do you think?
What i am asking is can it do the work towing that much that far without burning up. Engine only has 160k on it But I dont want to blow it up.

posted Hide Post
the 6k lbs is for truck and trailer. and it was more than i should of been towing. i was very slow on the pases. also i needed trailer brakes a couple times due to some stupid manuvers some drivers performed.

i wouldn't make the trip again with a total weight over 5000 lbs.

posted Hide Post
OK. I have been reading alot from these forums and would like to know about the seals in my pump. Do they need to be replaced with the viton seals that have replaced the feul lines?? Would anyone know where I would be able to get some for my ranger??? If I need to replace them? I will run b50 to keep on the safe side till I know better. Any replies would be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
if your pump or hoses are leaking yes change to viton seals and hoses. if they aren't, why change until you need to.....

i'm burning a blend of #2 and filtered(5 micron) wvo.
main tank (80% #2, my winter blend), (80% wvo my summer blend). heated rear tank 95%+ wvo, year round. i have a heated fuel line from rear tank and a home built heat exchanger, prior to stock fuel filter.

i've been running a blend for over 1.6 years.

only repairs have been, tires, valve cover gasket(adjusted valves), front brakes/used rotors, rebuilt starter(s) 1st one was defective. had starter ring on flywheel replaced(used)cost $$$ for labor here!, right rear axle seal, plus used rear brake shoes off parts vehicle.
starters are very expensive $230.00+ for a rebuilt....plus labor....

i have bought a total of 5 gallons of diesel in over a year.......

i aquired 40+ gallons of #2 diesel for some work. so i guess i bought that too. but i still have most of that fuel stored.
i bought the truck for $1,000. and have put in about $1,700 including labor. 45,000 miles later and i'm very happy with my truck.
ps: it now has 229,000+ miles on it.
oh i forgot, i had the seat re-upholstered $175.00

posted Hide Post
Hi My 2.2 diesel ranger is dearly anticipating the SVO conversion. Who has put the complete SVO system in the front, underhood? Anyone? This is what I aim to do despite the tank size restriction due to limited space. What have others done? 'WOuld love to see any pics, giagrams, etc. showing the conversion of this vehicle. Do I need a is there prefered equipment for the engine? is a heat exchanger needed?

Vernon (DDR on Mazda Proboard)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

'83 Ranger "Yvonne" Mazda 2.2 NA dual tank SVO; my other car is a bicycle

Imagerecipient_copy.jpg (47 Kb, 29 downloads) engine bay with supplanted 2.2

Location: New Brunswick (Can) | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello
I'm looking for a small ranger Diesel pickup for my son who just got a job and needs a cheap means of transportation. I live in Georgia if that helps and SMALL diesel pickups are hard to find.

Location: Hawkinsville, Ga. 31036 | Registered: October 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
28000 km and still running great on B100. loaded or empty I get around 28mpg.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dyoungen:
Hello
I'm looking for a small ranger Diesel pickup for my son who just got a job and needs a cheap means of transportation. I live in Georgia if that helps and SMALL diesel pickups are hard to find.

Did you find your little Ranger Diesel truck yet? If not email me back. Thanks George.

posted Hide Post
I had a question about this car as it seems many of you guys have it. I as well have been running this car on both biodiesel and straight vegetable oil and it has been running great. I love this car a lot but it does have its downsides. Most importantly the 4 speed manual transmission only gets you about 65 tops on the freeway before it sounds like you are driving a weed whacker. I was wondering and I do not know much about gear ratios and the what not if it is possible to swap the 4 speed manual out for a 5 speed from another make or car. This car gets great mpg and I would like to put some money into it so it could last me some years as well as be able to make longer trips on the freeway at better speeds. Anyone have any ideas on what might be done??

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by awgans:
I had a question about this car as it seems many of you guys have it. I as well have been running this car on both biodiesel and straight vegetable oil and it has been running great. I love this car a lot but it does have its downsides. Most importantly the 4 speed manual transmission only gets you about 65 tops on the freeway before it sounds like you are driving a weed whacker. I was wondering and I do not know much about gear ratios and the what not if it is possible to swap the 4 speed manual out for a 5 speed from another make or car. This car gets great mpg and I would like to put some money into it so it could last me some years as well as be able to make longer trips on the freeway at better speeds. Anyone have any ideas on what might be done??

You could gear it down - I changed the gears in my rear axle from 4.10's to 3.78's - you could also get a overdrive transmission like a GearVendor.

posted Hide Post
A few people have converted the Mazda gasser 5-speed tranny to work. More details are on the mazdadiesel board. You take the front/bellhousing from the diesel tranny and bolt it onto the gas tranny. You'll also need to move the diesel input shaft to the new tranny, which is the difficult technical part. Shorten the drive shaft and you're ready to drive.

There's a 5-speed diesel Ranger for sale in Portland at the moment. He's advertising on mazdadiesel. It sounds like an exceptionally good deal, knowing what I know now.

Parts for this engine are getting hard to find, and will be even more difficult in the future. In a few years it is likely to become impossible to rebuild one due to the non-availability of pistons and the like. On the other hand, these are great engines that seem to last a very long time.

Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What should I be getting for mileage??
35-38 sounds great at those speeds. I do have the four speed in mine. damn this truck is turning into a money pit production to do in this province. The inspector is making me replace well... pretty much every brake part whether it works great or not. starter was pooched.

== http://www.solitairecardgame.info/ ==

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rasha,

NOOR