BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Ford    97' 7.3 L Lift pumps keeps leaking

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

97' 7.3 L Lift pumps keeps leaking
 Login/Join

posted
97' F250, 7,3L been running 100% bio for about 5 years now.
I'm on my third lift pump. They keep leaking, but still seem to pump ok.

I just had a new NAPA pump installed 6 month ago, and it started leaking again today.
Because of the cold weather, I have been running 100% petro for the last 2 tanks, just so I could have easier starts. Perhaps the switch causes the seals to shrink, IDK...

Perhaps the brand of pump is the problem with compatability, again IDK.

Thinking about an electric pump instead of the mechanical at this point. Any suggestions of which pump works well?

1997 F250 4x4
various ranch equipment

Location: Alpine, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It must be the bioD attacking the rubber. Do you have any rubber hoses in the system which are also getting attacked? An electric pump may be your only option if you continue to run B100, or you could just run SVO in your first gen....

There are several nice pumps available these days, there is a new one discussed on SVO message board (Jason SVO) you may want to check out, looks good.

MB300TD
92 w250 CTD
Samurai 1.6VWTD
Mitsu 4x4 17HP tractor
Veggen
WVO shop heat

Location: Randolph, VT | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I used to have a couple of rubber hoses that were hooked to the pump. They were just short pieces. IIRC there are 3 of them. I had ordered some special hose that is supposed to be compatable, and they were replace the last time i swapped in the new pump.

I spoke with a mechanic yesterday that is supposed to be good with the 7.3L. I asked him if he knew of any issues with the lift pumps.

He told me he went to a Blue Star seminar a while back, and the speaker mentioned that the manufacturer commented about "incorrect rubber compounds". Not sure if this means I got a couple of bad pumps from NAPA, or what. Just thought I'd mention it.

1997 F250 4x4
various ranch equipment

Location: Alpine, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same problem. Put in a new pump about a year ago. Looking for a biodiesel compatible pump, something with viton guts. Perhaps an electronic pump is the way to go assuming that there is no rubber inside to degenerate. Please post any ideas, vendors, or solutions and I'll do the same.

dt

'02 VW Jetta
'97 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke
B50 through B100 depending on weather

B100 fired hot water furnace

Location: Connecticut | Registered: June 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run wvo blended w/diesel and have had to replace the mechanical pump twice now in 8 years. The leak has developed on the low pressure side both times.

Proprietor of The Blunderbuss muzzle loading gun shop. Member of Denver Biodiesel CO-OP.

Location: lakewood, Co. | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go electric, i am having a good run with Airtex E2236.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Best pump going WVO design And it should be it costs $500. I have one on my 2005 Mercedes CDI run 65 psi and works great plus if there is a problem you can rebuild it.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post