BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Ford    Ford Powerstoke Fuel Tank Pick/up Strainer Melted
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Powerstoke Fuel Tank Pick/up Strainer Melted
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 2000 7.3 powerstroke and have not used B100 in some time but, have been having a fuel starvation problem. Upon dropping the tank the black round fuel pick up foot with screen was laying in the bottom of the tank. It was very soft and half of it was very gummy. It seems it has been that way for some time. I din not want to replace it and have it melt again when I go back to using B100 again in a few months. Would like to do the "hutch" modification and install a "GOLDENROD" filter on the frame. Any one with any suggestions.

Thanks Rod

Location: ocala florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodm:
I have a 2000 7.3 powerstroke and have not used B100 in some time but, have been having a fuel starvation problem. Upon dropping the tank the black round fuel pick up foot with screen was laying in the bottom of the tank. It was very soft and half of it was very gummy. It seems it has been that way for some time. I din not want to replace it and have it melt again when I go back to using B100 again in a few months. Would like to do the "hutch" modification and install a "GOLDENROD" filter on the frame. Any one with any suggestions.

Thanks Rod

I did the hutch mod a few months ago. I was somewhat amazed at how clean the inside of the tank was. The mixing screens were virtually spotless, but I got rid of them anyway and also did the harpoon mod while I was in there. Highly recommended mod. Now I can completely fill the tank with minimal foaming within few minutes.

I'm surprised your pickup foot was soft. Mine was fine so I wonder if something else softened your pickup. It should be compatible. I have been running mostly B100 for the last few years with no ill effects.

I run an enexpensive see-through filter before the pump on the frame rail. Personally, I think anything that filters too fine pre-pump may put a strain on the lift pump. I think the factory filter is more than adequate, and if I am not mistaken, the Racor/Wix filters are rated at less than 12 micron.

I put my own kit together with 30R9 hose, and some stainless tubing to re-route the return line in the tank further away from the pickup.

One other tip. If you are the type to frequently fill your tank to the very top, and you use biodiesel, make sure you change the two vent tubes at either end of the fuel tank. Mine were softened because they are made of very thin rubber. None of the popular instructions to the hutch mod mention this. IIRC, they are 5/16"ID.

I did mine by myself, but it would've been one heck of a lot easier if I had an extra pair of hands helping me lift and guide the tank into position upon reassembly.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alvin, thanks for the reply. I definately will do the hutch mod. Just got back from the Dealer $ 37.00 for the pick/up strainer. Was going to get the fuel filler hose and the vent hose at the filler neck but they told me $240.00 NO THANKS apparently you have to buy the entire assembly.Mine has a fuel filler pipe which is steel and forks and has the other pipe for the vent. They then have the regular black fuel hoses attached to this pipe. These two hoses are what I was going to change. BY the way I have an 2000 Excursion, it has no other vent tubes or return lines. Th top of the tank has a white plastic fitting which is capped with a rubber stopper. What type of filter did you use?. Looking under Excursion at tank location having a hard time figuring out where to mount filter.
Rod

Location: ocala florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see. The EX tank is configured quite differently than my F250. My lift pump is located inside the frame rail under the drivers seat. I placed my filter there, just ahead of it. (Not sure if yours is there also, but for me, it's an easy place to check it every now and then). This is the filter I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Ch...&hash=item335bd7ccea

You could probably find one locally somewhere as well. I feel this is all that is necessary to protect the pump. I like being able to inspect it from time to time.

Alvin
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow, that is a small filter but, would be easy to mount in my situation. My tank is located behind the rear axle and is configured so it uses up just about all the space available for a full size filter. Do you know what micron rating it is ? could not find it on KMJ'S web page. I do agree with you on not wanting to go too low on the micron rating due to possible pump issues but would still like to use something better than 20 microns or so.

Rod

posted Hide Post
quote:
I do agree with you on not wanting to go too low on the micron rating due to possible pump issues but would still like to use something better than 20 microns or so.

Rod

For what reason would you want to go finer? From just looking at it, I would guess 50-60. The way I see it, as I mentioned earlier, a good quality filter in the fuel bowl is all that is needed. Unless you are really unsure of what is going into your tank.

Alvin
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

posted Hide Post
Alvin where did you get your stainless steel tubing for the "hutch modification" from. It seems to be a PITA to get where I live gone everywhere but Napa who were closed early today.

Rod

posted Hide Post
quote:
Alvin where did you get your stainless steel tubing for the "hutch modification" from. It seems to be a PITA to get where I live gone everywhere but Napa who were closed early today.

Rod

It's a little expensive due to minimum orders, but here's where I got the stainless: http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Many have done the mod with standard mild steel brake lines, but I prefered to spend a little more on the stainless.

Alvin
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

posted Hide Post
quote:
stainless

I also think I should go with stainless...Can you inform me how much it cost..

Location: San Leandro, CA | Registered: November 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great instruction link for the Hutch.
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php
Many of us (PSD 7.3 operators 1999-2003) do slight variations of it. I used brake line available at any auto parts store. Mine cost about $50. Many kits are available for under $200.
Good luck.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
binuya - what filter are you using in line? i liek the idea of onyl using a simple inline filter, but everythign i found was not 100% biodiesel compatable. also, how often are you swapping out the small inline filter?

everyone else - when you do the hutch mod, what are you using for a filter? i filter my fuel very nicely before i fill up, so i am not concrned about my stuff. but in the winter i run 100% dino-diesel, and that may add some junk. but i dont feel the need to super filter beyond what's in the stock sender screens in the tank.

DN - i have a 2002 excursion. what differneces from the link do you do?

Location: Dayton OH | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas:
binuya - what filter are you using in line? i liek the idea of onyl using a simple inline filter, but everythign i found was not 100% biodiesel compatable. also, how often are you swapping out the small inline filter?

This one, (same link I provided in my post up above): http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Ch...&hash=item335bd7ccea

I check it every couple months or so. Being that it is clear, I can see any build up of junk. In the nearly two years it's been there, I've never had to replace the filter. It's still clean today.

Alvin
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

posted Hide Post
Use a NAPA 3002 inline fuel filter

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Douglas
Are the components inside the fuel tank the same on the excursion and trucks?
#1 is get rid of the foot by replacing it with a short piece of 3/8 metal line.

john galt
The 3002 pictured looks like a gasoline filter(bad idea).
The wix 33972 is rated for diesel and can be used with vo sucessfully.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i couldnt acces the original ebay link from work. so the NAPA 3002 filter produc tinfo specifically says not to use for diesel. not BD, but diesel. and you are using it in a biodiesel setup ok?
isnt degraded from biodiel, or leaking?

DN - are you sayign that youa re compleetly doing away with the foot (http://www.dieselorings.com/1999-2003-ford-7-3l/fuel-system-parts-filters/20-001-ford-fuel-tank-pickup-foot-original-equipment.html). as in have removed it and not put it back, instead of modifing it like here: http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php

Location: Dayton OH | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i am using 100% biodiesel

posted Hide Post
I haven't experienced problems with NAPA 3002 filter using biodiesel/diesel/petrol blends.

If 50µ is good enough then the NAPA 3972 would be diesel rated.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NAPA Canada specifies the 3002 inline filter for gasoline and diesel vehicles, and does not show the NAPA 3972 or WIX 33972 as stocked items.

posted Hide Post
Douglas
Yes.

johngalt
The media in the 3002 picture looks non-diesel.
I am not a fan of NAPA, but can the 33972 or 3972 be ordered?

David Norwood

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not a fan of NAPA, but can the 33972 or 3972 be ordered?
not locally