BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Volkswagen pre TDI    97 TD jetta 1.9 lt turbo WVO set up concerns

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

97 TD jetta 1.9 lt turbo WVO set up concerns
 Login/Join

posted
Hey dudes!

Im converting my jetta to run on WVO and have some set up concerns. I would like to do this for as little as possible, but I know when you cut corners problems arise later so I want to do it right upfront!

I live around Ottawa ON, Canada so it get pretty cold here during the winter. Oddly enough it gets pretty hot as well in the summer. Im posted 400kms away from my family too so I do make multiple long distance trips every year.

My main concern is with heating the oil during different times of the year, and with having to replace any seals in order to run SVO in my car.

Question #1: What seals would I need to change in order to do this? anything else I might want to change out so I dont have leaks?

Question #2: I will be using a second tank in my trunk. So with heating my oil I have considered Hose in Hose to heat the fuel lines( parallel system), coil HIH inside fuel tank, a tank heater, FPHE, heated filter, sedimenter/water separator, and a veggietherm. I would like to find the best/ most efficient way to heat my oil. I would like to have each electrical device on its own switch so i can switch off certain components depending on weather.

Question #3: What is the best way to know my oil temp so i can switch from diesel to WVO? I would think to use a temp gauge but Im not sure where to put it. Between the veggietherm and IP?

Question #4: Where would I install the WVO pump to get it to the IP?

Question #5: Ive read that picking the right solenoid/switches for the fuel lines depends on your car size. How do i know what to pick in order to not restrict fuel flow?

Any other suggestions that the community could give towards my project would be vastly appreciated. There is nobody I can find anywhere near me who has done a conversion so Im on my own.

A lot of guys in my regiment are now interested, not to mention the guys at my base auto club.

Help please!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cplhornby:

Question #1: What seals would I need to change in order to do this? anything else I might want to change out so I dont have leaks?

None. Unlike bd, SVO won't degrade rubber seals. If the TDI has already transitioned from LSD to ULSD, then you probably won't have the seal shrinkage problem in the 2003 and older TDI's.

Question #2: I will be using a second tank in my trunk. So with heating my oil I have considered Hose in Hose to heat the fuel lines( parallel system), coil HIH inside fuel tank, a tank heater, FPHE, heated filter, sedimenter/water separator, and a veggietherm. I would like to find the best/ most efficient way to heat my oil. I would like to have each electrical device on its own switch so i can switch off certain components depending on weather.
The TDI filter IS heated by returned fuel.
You don't need to heat the tank, just the fuel pickup.
Don't use copper or brass.
IMO you don't need the vegtherm, especially if you have an FPHE under the hood.

Question #3: What is the best way to know my oil temp so i can switch from diesel to WVO? I would think to use a temp gauge but Im not sure where to put it. Between the veggietherm and IP?

Best location is the fuel return after it leaves the injectors.
That way you know the whole system is up to temperature.

Question #4: Where would I install the WVO pump to get it to the IP?
You don't need a WVO pump. Just use 8 or 10 mm inside diameter fuel line.

Question #5: Ive read that picking the right solenoid/switches for the fuel lines depends on your car size. How do i know what to pick in order to not restrict fuel flow?
Most critical is finding a valve that doesn't fail at high temperatures. Check the forum

Any other suggestions that the community could give towards my project would be vastly appreciated. There is nobody I can find anywhere near me who has done a conversion so Im on my own.

If the engine has more than 100,000 miles or 180,000 kms, rebuild the injectors
A good spray pattern is critical to long term success.

A lot of guys in my regiment are now interested, not to mention the guys at my base auto club.

Help please!!!

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this set up correct? Im really iffy on some things. I still dont know about changing seals. I think if I bounce this idea off some people i will figure out where to go from there. Thanks guys!

ImageWVOfuelsystem3.png (44 Kb, 15 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Looks ok, except the heta exchanger isnot plumbed correctly
it's in series with the cabin heater/heater core. This will restrict flow and result in less heta for your fphe and cabin.
fphe should be plumbed in parallel with the cabin h.x.
with two 5/8" or 1/2" "T"'s right at the firewall.
Find a 1" or longer straight section and cut in the middle and install the T

PS If you have a TDI you are posting in the wrong forum. This is pre-TDI

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post