BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Volkswagen pre TDI    mercedes tubo dsl into a vanagon?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mercedes tubo dsl into a vanagon?
 Login/Join

posted
anybody ever try to put a mercedes turbo dsl into a vw vanagon? those vw dsl engines always seemed underpowered in the buses, like driving a brick into the wind. any info, or ideas people may have would be appreciated... thanks!
-ben

1987 Isuzu spacecab with 83 diesel engine,
the conversion: HOMEMADE -18 gallon plastic marine tank with coiled alluminum heat exchanger, alluminum hose in hose fuel line (with return), coolant wrapped Goldenrod H20 block filter, 16 plate fphe, fatty wagon injector line heaters.

Location: on the road... | Registered: January 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what engine the vanagon used. The Mercedes 5 cylinder(617) is a heavy engine and although cheap to buy, the conversion would be very challenging. Only recently has the 617 been proven to work without the autotrans that it originally came with. The original torque converter helped absorb inherent crank vibration. Sometimes the flexplate was balanced with the engine, sometimes not. I believe the name was 4x4 labs that now makes a conversion using the 240D flywheel. The 617 has an adaptor plate already that helps when adapting to a different tranny. Good luck. Phil

Location: Ontario | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the Eurovan had a 5 cylinder diesel VW engine.

Over time VW has essentially doubled the HP output of the original 1.6L engines.... I assume you'd get much better performance with the 1.9L Turbo engines, or perhaps even the 2.0L Turbos.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keelec:
I believe the Eurovan had a 5 cylinder diesel VW engine.

Over time VW has essentially doubled the HP output of the original 1.6L engines.... I assume you'd get much better performance with the 1.9L Turbo engines, or perhaps even the 2.0L Turbos.

here is a co. that does them:
http://www.greaseworks.org/tdivanagon

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post