Find
Notify
Tools

Switching to biodiesel help
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

I have a 1981 Volkswagen diesel rabbit.
I am wanting to switch from petrol diesel to biodiesel.
I need to know what needs to be changed to run B100 biodiesel.

I know something about the fuel lines and the injection pump seal but I don't know which injection pump seal and I've been told that my car has steel fuel lines and what about the inlet hose does that also need to be changed to a biodiesel compatible fuel hose???

Can someone please tell me what I need to do or change to my car to run be 100 biodiesel without any issues???

can someone tell me where I can find clear biodiesel fuel line to put between the fuel filter and injection pump?

Thank you all so much,

~ Bunnyboy

1981 Volkswagen Rabbit LS Deluxe

2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat. Bought a really exceptional '82 Rabbit with the 1.6/5-speed. I'm concerned about the injection pump but have heard differing reports on how much of a risk exists in biodiesel getting to it.

We know that biodiesel will soften any rubber lines. I suggest changing any hoses, regardless of how short. On my F250, I always look for 30R9 SAE rated hose. They can handle high pressure and biodiesel. There are other materials on the market now as well.

Another thing I've considered is a boost pump near the tank to help push the biodiesel toward the engine. The viscosity of bio or any veg oil is typically heavier than diesel. I've been told the VW injection pump also serves as the fuel pump, pulling the fuel all the way from the tank, through the filter and into the engine. That sounds like a lot to ask out of a rotary vane pump. Therefore, I'm thinking of a low pressure diesel pump at the tank.

Hopefully, someone with VW diesel experience will chime in.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same situation for me. I have a 1.6NA that I'm rebuilding for a project car and I intend to run biodiesel in it.

Should I be concerned about the injector pump? Fuel hose is easy to replace, but I'd rather replace any seals on the pump before they melt.

posted Hide Post
Any idea how much would it cost for such conversion?

posted Hide Post
Hi Jim Kart,
Welcome to the forum

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kart:
Any idea how much would it cost for such conversion?
I have been using biodiesel for about 16 years now.
All I have ever done is pour the biodiesel into the fuel tank and drive happily into the sunset.
The biodiesel may or may not attack your fuel lines and seals.
If it does bother some of the "rubber" in your car it does take time and you will probably get plenty of notice. Fuel lines typically months to years to develop a problem IF they are going to develop a problem.

I have never had a problem with seals in the IP but some people have reported problems, especially with PSA diesel engines (Peugeot, Citroen etc.)

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Tilly, thanks for sharing your experience and opinion about the topic.

posted Hide Post
Currently, I'm trying to work with my old Patrol to use biodiesel as its fuel. Hope I succeed.

posted Hide Post
By the way, read somewhere that when using biodiesel with an old diesel engine you have to change the fuel lines as it may be brittle. Is this really necessary?

posted Hide Post
Hi Jim Kart,

quote:
By the way, read somewhere that when using biodiesel with an old diesel engine you have to change the fuel lines as it may be brittle. Is this really necessary?
It is easy to tell if your fuel lines are brittle.
If they are brittle I would probably change them.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree and good point Tilly.

posted Hide Post
By the way. A pal of mine who owns a junk shop is offering a set of stainless steel fuel lining for a good price. Should I get it or there would be a down fall once biodiesel would flow in those lines.

posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way. A pal of mine who owns a junk shop is offering a set of stainless steel fuel lining for a good price. Should I get it or there would be a down fall once biodiesel would flow in those lines.

I think that's overkill. not sure on the age of your vehicle but I would just pour in the bio. Ive never had a problem in the older vw's that I ran bio in. they were pre tdi units though

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12voltdan:
quote:

I think that's overkill. not sure on the age of your vehicle but I would just pour in the bio. Ive never had a problem in the older vw's that I ran bio in. they were pre tdi units though

Thanks, and yes you may be correct about it being overkill.

posted Hide Post
So OK tried biodiesel. My first attempt the engine smoked like a chimney for some time then all cleared out. Performance wise, can't say any difference at all.

posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

Where did you get your biodiesel
What percentage biodiesel

I can not recall smoking like a chimney on start-up being one of the problems people have attributed to biodiesel- that is certainly not my experience anyway.
However, it is a VW....
You mean it smoked immediately even as it was burning out the petrol diesel still in the fuel system on the first start-up.
Does your car normally smoke like a chimney on start-up

posted Hide Post
For peace of mind, I would replace the fuel lines. I got mine from 4wo|truck parts before. Make sure to use new lines made of Viton so that they are bio compatible. Don't forget also to check all the filters after switching over to biodiesel.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tilly and Lexter. got my biodiesel from a pal of mine. Not really sure about the percentage. No it doesn't smoke before I added biodiesel.