Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what are these wires?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I was told by a mechanic today that the procedure for getting the small bolts on the end of the glow plug is to use a pencil magnet to hold the bolt in place long enough to get it threaded. I have a pencil magnet with the magnet on the end. This procedure requires one with the magnet on the side of the end.

Location: North Shore Vancouver | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK here is the latest.
I have confirmed with a multimeter that all glow plugs are OK, and I am getting 12v to the plugs as well. I have made a mini fuel tank from a pop bottle (like a diesel purge style) and hooked it up after the filters and yet it still wouldn't start.
Now here's something odd. When I last tried to start it I found a puddle of coolant under the car after.
Regarding the pop bottle fuel tank. Is it necessary to have this up higher than the engine, gravity forcing the fuel down into the IP? I am certain that my IP lost it's prime as I could see air bubbles in the fuel line between my filters and the IP.

Location: North Shore Vancouver | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same engine as yours. An AAZ right? It's hard finding information on this engine and repairs. My car is a 93 Passat, Canadian edition apparently.

The position of the bottle really shouldn't matter as the mechanical IP sucks the fuel up. On mine at least there's no supply pump at all.

I do have a question about the PCV system though. Would a clogged PCV cause oil leaks in the rear main seals or other areas of the engine? TIA

posted Hide Post
I'm a little late but yeah the IP will pull the fuel from the tank so the position of the pop bottle isn't critical. If there is a restriction in the supply line (or fuel filter) it will cause the bubbles to appear as the pump pulls through the govenor body of the pump and can pull air through the throttle shaft seal and other areas. According to VW some bubbles are ok but too much obviously affects the performance. My /97 had this problem and I was eventualy able to trace it down to a partaly siezed check valve back at the tank causing a high restriction. I chucked it and it doesn't appear to be a problem running without it. No loosing prime overnight anyway and the performance is good again.

A plugged pvc can push oil out of other areas of the crankcase as it will pressurize the crankcase but it doesn't seem to common in VW's, it's worth checking anyway before going after the seal

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checking glow plugs by resitance is no good unless all are disconected. You can check with an amp meter to see the draw. They start at around 20 to 25 amps apeace and drop from there as they warm up. You need to have someone turn them on while you read the meter. If you have say only 60 amps at first then one plug is burned out.

I was able to get the VW manual from the toll free number in the owners manual. It's a good manual for under 100 bucks, well worth the money IMO

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post