Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

85 trany into an 87 jetta?
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone in here changed a standard trany from an 85 golf diesel (non turbo) into an 87 jetta (turbo)?

I've had a good look at the two and they seem to be the same thing. VW is good for interchanging parts from other model years but it would be nice to know for sure before taking out 2 and finding out the clutch is different or something like that.

That wouldn't surprise me

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only things different could be mounts in car and wiring. Trans. will interchange up to 92. Mounts may need to swap. Bellhousing may need to swap flywheel. I have used later trans in early Caddies no problem.

Location: Va. | Registered: June 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beauty

Mounts and everything outside looks the same,should be an easy swap then

Thanks

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be a straightforward swap.... although I haven't done it.

Here is a good reference page:

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel...0_transmission.shtml

I'm not sure about the accuracy, I tried multiplying out some of the numbers and they didn't add up.

But, it looks like VW used at least 3 different clutches (190mm, 200mm, 210mm), and 2 different "hubs" (I assume inner axle/CV mount).

I was talking to someone trying to cram an Audi TT engine + 6 speed transverse mounted transmission into a Caddy. Apparently it needed both custom engine mounts as sell as custom axles.

Highway gearing seemed similar to the old 5 speed trannys.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The later trans can used a larger clutch(210mm) The TDI trans use 228mm clutch. You'll have to swap clutches. Not a big deal. The best 5th gear in the 020 trans is .71 and the best overall final ratio is 3.67(widely avail) But both do not come in the same trans. I took the 5th gear from a FF trans and will install in a 9A close ratio trans. Should be fun to drive, RPMs won't drop much between gears but will have a great cruising and MPG 5th.

Location: Va. | Registered: June 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keelec:
It should be a straightforward swap.... although I haven't done it.

Here is a good reference page:

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel...0_transmission.shtml

Thanks,good to know

I know the axle mount is the same since I've already swaped one out

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dieselherb:
The later trans can used a larger clutch(210mm) The TDI trans use 228mm clutch. You'll have to swap clutches. Not a big deal.

Good to hear. The clutch was the one thing that bothered me. This is the only car I have right now so I need it to go up to work on Monday. Now that I know it's just a mater of swaping stuf around I'll get to it tomorrow morning

posted Hide Post
Well I got the trany out of the '85 and moved on to the '87 when I found the bearing in the left side with a lot of play, enough to be the vibration problem. My guess is the cage on the outbord bearing must have failed yet it never made the noise you allways hear when a bearing is about to go. I had checked for play before and never found any, I guess the balls had spaced themselfs at those times and fooled me.

I'm still going to change the trany at some point since this ones in much better shape as well as the shifter linkage and it's not that big a job. Finding a wheel bearing on short notice is though, hopefully it's in today, if not I may be in trouble getting to work Monday