BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Volkswagen pre TDI    suddenly misfiring or skipping 85 VW Golf

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

suddenly misfiring or skipping 85 VW Golf
 Login/Join

posted
Let me setup the scene, I was driving down the road with a road speed of about 53 mph (the car just loves to run at that speed) when all of a sudden I experienced a sudden loss of power. The car sounds like it isn't firing on one cylinder and there is the smell of fuel in the air. My first thought was that a injector line broke or cracked. When I got home I looked under the hood and couldn't see any fuel spray from any of the lines. It was misfiring at idle. It sounds like it is in-taking and exhausting normally just not getting any fuel to the cylinder.

Could this be a bad injector or a bad pump. At least these are the 2 options I am thinking are happening.

Location: Iowa | Registered: April 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan,
a glow plug may have lost its tip, which then went to the "wrong" place. Failed glow plugs often lose their tips, which hopefully find their way out the exhaust. My recent Mazda re-ring discovered dents and marks on all 4 piston from failed glow plug tips, one of which wedged between the piston edge and the cylinder wall on cylinder #2. None of the other cylinders had any remnants of glow plug tips, despite lots of indications of previous events. The engine developed a LOT of blow-by, due to the #2 piston being held off-center by the fragment, combined with worn rings that couldn't accommodate the change. Something like this may have occured in your engine. Open the oil filler while idling to check for 1) excessive blow by, and 2) strong fuel smell.

Another possibility is a failed injector. Assuming the engine still idles, have you determined which cylinder is misfiring? That is done by loosening each injector pipe, sequentially. The "bad" one will have relatively little effect. If you haven't done this before, pay attention to the safety notes about it in your shop manual - it has its own specific dangers to be taken seriously.
A stuck or failed injector may dribble fuel, rather than spray, resulting in loss of power, uneven running, a strong unburned fuel smell in the exhaust, and possible "knocking" (the fuel gets carried into the next stroke, igniting permaturely)

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post