Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting to Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
I am new here, and just bought myself a 1986 VW Golf to run on biodiesel. I have done some research on what needs to be done in order to effectively convert the car to run on it well, and have some conflicting information, which I am hoping to get some feedback here.

Changing out the fuel lines: Do they need to be changed? Some say yes, some say no, or you don't have to until things start leaking, which may never happen. I realize that my car is an '86, so the fuel lines may have natural rubber in them, which can be dissolved in the biodiesel. If I don't change out the lines, could the dissolved rubber muck up the engine?

Changing the fuel filter: It sounds like that is very likely to happen. I have heard that you have to be very careful not to get any air in the lines as it could damage the engine and/or the fuel pump and you need to prime it with a vaccuum or something. Others don't seem to stress it too much. Is is an involved process to change the fuel filter, or what?

Is it a good idea to start with B20 or B50 before going to B100? Does it matter?

Any other thoughts, or things that I need to do before I start running on 100% biodiesel?

Thank you.

posted Hide Post
You will want to replace the old rubber fuel line with Viton. It will plug filters and make a mess. You will want to closely watch injection pumps seals too, I don't know about the pre-TDI pumps, but my TDI has has issues with leaking pump seals after using B100.

Try blending B20 up to B50 or B60 before going B100, and keep a close eye on leaks, especially from the pump in the timing belt area. The engine will run great on B100, it's just getting it there without leaks.

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post