BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Volkswagen pre TDI    2004 TDI VW Any conversions to strat running BD

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 TDI VW Any conversions to strat running BD
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 2004 VW TDI. Are there any conversion needed to strat running BD or can I fuel it up and run BD. I live in Southern California, make my own BD. Have had it tested and has passed ASTM.

Location: Aguanga, CA | Registered: May 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volkwagens are great with biodiesel, except for the latest and "greatest" with particulate filters (2009, 2010). As far as I know the PD engines, like what you have, work just fine with bio and need nothing to burn it.

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks alot UFO. I feel more at ease. In a few days I'll start filling it up.

Location: Aguanga, CA | Registered: May 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure your reaction is complete and doesn't finish in your fuel tank.
The 2004+ TDI's have an in-tank electric fuel pump that is weak to begin with and won't tolerate glycerin.

Other than that, I remember one guy complaining of leaking hose somewhere around the fuel pump under the hood. Ask at BioDiesel forum at tdiclub.com for recent experience.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's ASTM, there is no glycerine, soap or water to cause problems. If it's still reacting in your tank, you've got much bigger issues.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post