BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Volkswagen pre TDI    Reccomendation on intercooler

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reccomendation on intercooler
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 1986 Jeep Cherokee that I converted to a VW 1.9L TD (AAZ). This replaced the stock 2.1L Renault which was giving me lots of trouble. I've added some performance enhancements to the AAZ (the larger turbo from a 1.6L, and some GTD Bosio nozzles) and am thinking an intercooler is in order, too. I wasn't sure where to post this as it is a Jeep but also a VW now. Anyway, any recommendations on an intercooler?

Thanks,

Trip

Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Venture- Why not use a VW intercooler? A the diameters of a TDI intercooler should match up with your VW engine. You can use VW rubber "elbow" hoses, too. With a little engineering, you could mount the 'cooler in the engine compartment ( I can only imagine you've got lots of room) and put a little scoop on your hood for airflow. I wouldn't worry about rain getting in- Subaru mounts their intercoolers on top of the engine with no water problems.

Location: southcentral PA | Registered: November 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an audi intercooler from an older quatro, you can also use intercoolers from similarly sized engines, especially 2 litre gas engines. It is just a matter of getting the plumbing done right.

gravity doesn't get you down, the man gets you down

Location: northshore of that big lake | Registered: August 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post