BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  UK Biodiesel    Anyone willing to help - trubles getting additives

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone willing to help - trubles getting additives
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I've been making BD for few months. After overcoming initial troubles I found a way to produce good quality fuel. But as winter is coming some anti gelling additive is needed. The real problem I have now is fact that we do not have any store with BD supplies, so I had to search across the border. Found nice store in Lancashire, they do ship worldwide, but shipping cost for 4 liters of additive is about as twice as price of additives.

I would like to ask if someone is willing to buy few liters of Wintron XC30 and send them to me. Will send money through PayPal before any shopping so you wouldn't be spending your money.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inemet:
Hello,

I've been making BD for few months. After overcoming initial troubles I found a way to produce good quality fuel. But as winter is coming some anti gelling additive is needed. The real problem I have now is fact that we do not have any store with BD supplies, so I had to search across the border. Found nice store in Lancashire, they do ship worldwide, but shipping cost for 4 liters of additive is about as twice as price of additives.

I would like to ask if someone is willing to buy few liters of Wintron XC30 and send them to me. Will send money through PayPal before any shopping so you wouldn't be spending your money.

Where are you based? Which border are you talking about?
If you have found a shop in Lancashire and you are only across the border then I assuem you are either elsewhere in the UK or mainland Europe.

Why do you need others to group buy a few litres, I assume by the shop in Lancashire you mean Biofuel Systems, if so why not simply buy a 1 litre bottle from them currently at £9.99. http://www.biofuelsystems.com/...o.php?products_id=30

Alos there are people on the http://www.vegetableoildiesel....thread.php?tid=14224 forum who are currently testing winter additives who may have more information.

Location: East Yorkshire | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am from Croatia. As I said I have no place to buy winter additives here.
And yes, you were right, I wanted to buy 4 litres of Wintron XC30 from http://www.biofuelsystems.com, but shipping is £74. I was hoping for some more moderate shipping, but they do not offer it.
If I just simply order as you suggested (or as I intended) and pay what they ask, there would be no point in making BD. I may use regular one as well.
And thank you for the link on testing additives.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inemet:
I am from Croatia. As I said I have no place to buy winter additives here.
And yes, you were right, I wanted to buy 4 litres of Wintron XC30 from http://www.biofuelsystems.com, but shipping is £74. I was hoping for some more moderate shipping, but they do not offer it.
If I just simply order as you suggested (or as I intended) and pay what they ask, there would be no point in making BD. I may use regular one as well.
And thank you for the link on testing additives.

I did not see anywhere your location as Croatia. When you said "over the border" I assumed you where simply over one border not many many borders.
Yes, I can imagine shipping of a few litres to Croatia being very expensive.

Location: East Yorkshire | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you make well converted biodiesel and dry it properly it should be ok down to about -5C. 5% kerosene or petrol/gasoline will get you down to -7C and 10% kerosene or petrol/gasoline down to -10C. Below -10C you would be better to use ordinary diesel as even the winterizing agents will not work very well.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Kerosene, stove oil or petrol will 'winterize' biodiesel to operate at temperatures below what the expensive additives claim at a fraction of the cost. Cold filtering the kero/petrol/biodiesel mix before it goes into the vehicle tank is essential for reliable success.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you all suggest not using commercial additives ... then I will not be using them. But, I have second thoughts about kerosene/petrol and similar. Yesterday I added 5% of petrol to my BD, and today it is all frozen,so I am not able to drive. I did not expect to have such problems at 10C above 0. I have almost completely converted BD, it usually passes 8/27, even 9/27 test with no problems.
Oil used for making fuel is used palm oil, as it is the only one I can get.
How to check if oil is dried enough?
Thank you.

posted Hide Post
My advice was for biodiesel made from rapeseed oil, sorry, I have no experience with palm oil.
The best way to measure water content without expensive equipment is the carbide manometer. . Have a look at the thread called "Simple test for Water in Fuel" in "Biodiesel Quality" section.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
Hello I have made bio diesel out of palm oil in the past I have found that the commercial anti-gelling agents don't seem to work you can mix petrol with it but it will still solidify at about 10°C

Location: worthing | Registered: July 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is my experience too. Palm oil is very difficult to work with.
Due to weather condition I stopped making fuels and switched to classic diesel.
Thank you all on comments and suggestions.